Texas Hunting Forum

Game cameras in this heat?

Posted By: caddokiller

Game cameras in this heat? - 08/24/11 10:34 PM

I have 2 cams that have worked perfectly for 2 years now. I put one of them out in the woods and one out in a sunny area by a feeder. The one out in the sun took pics for 2 days then quit. The ohter one has taken pictures for the last 3 weeks with no problems. Im thinking the one that ws in the sun just shut down from the heat cuz when I got it it ws shut off and hot as heck. I brought it home and turned it on and it has worked fine in my house for a week now. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted By: dee

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/24/11 10:48 PM

The heats been messing with my batteries more than anything, makes them go really fast.

Posted By: Bonner

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/25/11 03:06 PM

cams are not doing wel in this heat (for the most part) - tons of posts on all forums about cams acting up - heat affecting batteries, IR sensors, and apparently on some Cuddebacks the solder is melting (used some non-typical; solder on some connections from what i heard a guy at Cabelas telling acustomer who was asking about returns on cams). Personally if I have a cam make it more than two years i consider it a success regardless of weather - I just view them as disposable regardless.

Posted By: Piper354

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/25/11 04:16 PM

I have 2 wildview EZ cams. Right now one will take 4000 pics (no lie) of nothing and the other will take 20-30 pics of actual animals in one week. The 'bad' one seems to work fine if I turn it on in a bedroom and close the door. Beleive the PIR sensor is more sensitive to the heat in that one. Had it too long to take back...

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/26/11 03:23 PM

I built this for my camera, it at least keeps it out of the sun.

Posted By: gamercameo

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/26/11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I built this for my camera, it at least keeps it out of the sun.

This's a good idea to protect your cam from direct light. In the noon temperature may be increase over 100F.

Posted By: Grinder

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/28/11 06:12 PM

Do cows have access to this setup? I think my cows would rub on this, then slobber all over it. popcorn

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/29/11 08:13 PM

I like it as long as no livestock

Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/29/11 08:24 PM

I took mine down when the heat became a sustained event. Gonna wait till cooler temps to put em back out. All I was getting was pics of scrawny deer anyhow.

Posted By: krhunt

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/29/11 10:38 PM

I'm having the same problem. Camera barely took any pictures, but I brought it home and took plenty. Both cameras on the place were acting up. Glad to hear i'm not the only one...

Posted By: crstfr

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/30/11 01:38 PM

i agree... heat is killin my batteries!!!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 08/30/11 06:27 PM

Like stated above cams are a short term investment for us. 3 years ago we had a grass/brush fire go through our place and all the cams survived but started going one by one within a couple months. We are running all stealthcam i450 IR's and have had great luck with them. They are all 2 years old right now, are all in direct south texas sun 24/7 for 2 years and the 12v external batery pack runs for about 2 months on a charge. When they start acting up we get rid of them, too much time and gas to have them not work properly, and it always seems like there are good ones that last a long time and ones that die very quickly as well.

matt

Posted By: papa45

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/07/11 08:49 PM

I have two out right now; a Wildgame and a Bushnell. Batteries seem to be doing fine, but I'm getting over 100 picture a day on each one. Too much heat and wind. I tried to turn down the sensitivity, but couldn't tell that it made any difference.

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/09/11 02:11 AM

Are yall facing ur cameras all to the north? If your not, you might want to. Ya can think of it as exactly opposite from if you were setting up a solar power array. In the northern hemisphere, by facing it north you will get less sun-exposure to the front of your camera where everything's more exposed. In other words, face it away from the equator. I have yet to have a camera that faces north take a crap on me and we've has some for 4+ years.

Posted By: aeb

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/09/11 05:16 PM

My cameras always are mounted facing north. Right now I am looking at a stack of cameras in the corner of the office. A couple need to be sent back to Moultrie, the Bushnells act like a heifer in heat when they see a blade of grass, etc. It is to the point that I dread making the rounds and pulling cards on the working camera because the I am always wondering which one ate batteries and which one died this week? A good rain would probably improve my attitude!!! smile

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/09/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Grinder
Do cows have access to this setup? I think my cows would rub on this, then slobber all over it. popcorn

As you can see all the tall grass, there are no cows on this place, but I have used it a place with cows and I would have the occasion cow tongue smear on the camera but they never pushed it over or anything.

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/13/11 05:29 PM

Here is another one I have out this summer. So far no problems with the cameras or batteries.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Game cameras in this heat? - 09/13/11 08:46 PM

My 3 spypoints have trucked along all summer long taking 1000+ pictures a month with no issues. Been using them for 10 months now, and I hope my experience is typical because when I do have to replace them I hope I can replace them with more spypoints.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum