Texas Hunting Forum

Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives?

Posted By: MSAR_Fan

Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/19/11 04:21 PM

I'm a complete moron when it comes to sharpening a knife

I consistently make my knives duller and scuff the crap out of the blade while shapening them

I bought a lansky sharpener and couldn't get it to work right. I've had several diamond hones and can't get them to work either

is there something like an electric system that will make a knive SHARP without the risk of ruining it?

Let me say again, i am a MORON when it comes to knife sharpening, so i need something idiot proof

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/20/11 12:28 AM

I just bought a Lansky and it seems to work fine. Whats the problem with yours ? Think it could be operator error ? clap

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/20/11 12:55 AM

Warthog v-sharp is about as fool proof as they come and works very well.

Posted By: MSAR_Fan

Re: Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/20/11 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

I just bought a Lansky and it seems to work fine. Whats the problem with yours ? Think it could be operator error ? clap

it is almost CERTAINLY operator error... I am a sharpening moron

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/20/11 01:46 AM

I never had any luck with my Lansky but others swear by them. I can do okay with a stone but I'm slow. The warthog gets me close to stone quality and is much faster and simpler. I find that I keep my knives sharper now because it's so much easier to do.

Posted By: jaymz

Re: Can someone tell me what i can get to sharpen my knives? - 04/20/11 01:51 AM

So it's really all about practice.. but.. here's what I've learned.

1. Electric Sharpeners are pretty much crap. You need to seriously invest in a good one if you are going to get one. The "Chefmate" version will just dull your knife. Expect $100+ for a good one.

2. There was a guy who showed how to use the top of a window in your car/truck. it's surprisingly simple and works fairly decent to get a quick hone. It won't be razer sharp, but it does work in a pinch.

3. I have a buddy who uses the warthog stuff and it rocks. I always get him to sharpen my stuff every year before season.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum