Texas Hunting Forum

Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid?

Posted By: HLo

Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 01:45 AM

I am considering buying a Jayco or Zinger travel trailer. Anyone suggest any other brands or brands I should avoid. Looking at buying a newer model trailer 18' - 24' long.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 01:46 AM

I have a Jayco with a slide out...great trailer. Haven't had enough to know which ones to avoid.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 02:30 AM

Have a 93 jayco...just put new ac and sealed roof not bad after being 18 years old.

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 04:11 AM

My 1/2 Ton 4 x 4 Z71 says maximum GVWR is 7,000 lbs. So my guess is that I can buy a trailer and safely tow it if it is approx. 5,000 lbs or less with a tongue wight of about 500 lbs......thoughts?

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 11:05 AM

I think you are heading the right direction. Several years ago I had a Nissan Titon and was in the market for a toy hauler. I bought what I figured was the max weight the Titan was rated to tow. I bought a 23' Weekend Warrior. Today I drive a Silverado 2500 DuraMax. The Titon would pull the Warrior but not easily. Ever little incline would make me have to downshift. I couldn't use the cruse control because as soon as I hit the slightest grade the trans. temp would start climbing. Now that I have the DuraMax I wish I had more toy hauler. hammer
In a nutshell don't try to by the max trailer your truck is rated for, you won't enjoy getting there or getting back. 2cents

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/24/11 08:55 PM

HLo, Just remember that travel trailer weights are UNLOADED weights and you can easily add 1000 lbs to it after everything is put inside.

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/25/11 12:33 AM

thanks,,,yep....I don't think I am going to pull it but once a year max. More of a lake cabin thing. But just want to be able to every once in a while here in Texas...no Mountains. I know what it is like to pull a heavy load...not fun.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/26/11 02:39 PM

HLo,
I assume since you live in Hays Co. you're looking at the Jayco's at Crestview RV? They're fine on the sales end but their service department sucks. Just FYI.

That said, I'd go with a Jayco over the Zinger.

Towing with a 1/2 ton will be challenging at times. Go with a weight distribution good hitch. A Reece Dual Cam or Equal-I-zer brand hitch. They have weight distribution and sway control integrated. Avoid the friction bar sway control. It's next to useless. Fine tuning one of these hitches will take some time. It's not difficult but can be time consuming. Be patient. Once you've got it where you want it you'll enjoy it.

You can add Ride Right or similar air bags to your truck which will make it more stable while towing. This doesn't increase you're tow ratings however.

Good luck and ask away. I started out with a 6500 lb. 26' travel trailer and a 1/2 ton. Traded up to a 3/4 ton as soon as I could. 1/2 tons are pretty limited in their abilities.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/26/11 02:43 PM

Don't be this guy:

Check out his hitch...draw bar and ball. No sway control, no weight distribution. Short wheelbase towing vehicle, long trailer, improper hitch= bad day on the road.

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/26/11 05:13 PM

thanks for your input....yeah, i hope to find a deal on a used trailer...

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Travel Trailer Brand to Avoid? - 03/31/11 09:36 PM

if you buy an older trailer look at the u bolts and springs ... Its a cheap fix or upgrade but not one you want to make on the side of the hwy.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum