Texas Hunting Forum

Game camera/security camera

Posted By: Chief Joe

Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 02:29 PM

I do not understand why somebody isn't making a 12v game camera that will hook up to an external battery with a solar charger. What am I missing? Seems like it ought to work. Of course I have melted down several appliances using this same train of thought!

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 02:42 PM

Not sure why you would need a 12v, but there are already external battery solar charging system for camera's. But with the tech today with the IR's and battery life, I don't even fool with the solar charging anymore.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 06:01 PM

both my cams are hooked up to solar

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 07:01 PM

IR?? I am not familiar with that term. Which brand offers the solar charged battery please.
I was thinking 12v so I could use a small auto battery for longer life. What are you using that is giving more than 6-8 weeks of use please. I am thinking of a permanent placement or at least long term. Maybe I am too lazy, it just seems like I am missing something.

I like the looks of Tree Bass' set-up. But I also like the idea of a infrared light camers set up around our church building for some added security. I appreciate this info!

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 07:42 PM

the one in the pic is a flash model, but I have an IR (infrared) as well. I have not charged those batteries since I placed it last season.

Any camera can be converted to solar with a panel from academy, and a 6v rechargable battery. (also sold at academy)

Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/15/10 07:55 PM

I have a Stealth cam, and there is a solar charger and 12v hookup available for them.

It'd be prety easy to make a 120-12v power source to hook them up when used around a building

I'm guessing that other cam manufacturers also have similar capabilities.

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/16/10 03:01 AM

Stealth tech told me this week they discontinued all models with the solar collectors. They do not recommend them claiming that the charger might damage the camera??

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/18/10 01:32 AM

Is anybody using a Moultrie d50 with the external solar/12v battery? I want to try this but would like some input.

Posted By: Payne

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/23/10 12:18 AM

I used a Moultrie solar panel with a I45 camera. It took 15 pics before it fried. It's back in Alabama now.

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/23/10 01:42 AM

The camera cooked or the charger? Seems like something in like would prevent this surge.
I also got another great idea. Dewalt or some similar company should make a camera that uses the 18v batteries. They seem to last a long time!

Posted By: Payne

Re: Game camera/security camera - 10/23/10 02:07 AM

The cam got cooked, sent them both back. I'll let them figure it out.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum