Texas Hunting Forum

protein feed

Posted By: michael rice

protein feed - 06/02/10 10:03 PM

ok this is new to me what is a good feed would like to spend 10.00 a bag but i dont know what it gos for can i get by with my feeder i got now that spin corn

Posted By: HLo

Re: protein feed - 06/03/10 12:44 AM

Soy Corn mix....if your deer will eat it. During a drought I know they will or mid summer. Then they will keep eating it.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: protein feed - 06/03/10 03:24 AM

At $10.00 a fifty pound bag, right now you can buy almost any major brand deer feed. Record Rack makes a good feed and I would use it anyday, but right now I'm feeding Purina generic 20% deer feed. In other words not the Antler Max.

I would NOT recommend using a spin feeder to feed protein pellets. Two primary reasons, if the plate is full and you get moisture it can swell up and either keep the plate from spinning or else put a sever drag on the motor. The other reason is that protein has what are called "fines" which is basically pulverized pellets and that dust will eventually work its way down the saft of the motor and create problems. Either way eventually it will mess up your spinner.

Another reason is that you cannot spin long enough with most controllers to get enough protein out for one deer let alone several.

If you are gonna feed protein to improve your deer's health and try to get better antlers, your best bet will be a free choice feeder.

Moisture is protein's worst enemy.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: protein feed - 06/03/10 05:46 AM

Corn/Soy for sure. 16% protein content and no problems using it in broadcast feeders. Available at feed stores everywhere.

Posted By: T.Hinrichs

Re: protein feed - 06/26/10 11:57 PM

Check at your local feed store, youd be suprised how good some of your local stuff is along with the price.

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: protein feed - 07/01/10 10:37 PM

I have been using Antler Max for several years and have had great success with it. I am sure that Record Rack is good as well.

Posted By: TXHogSlayer72

Re: protein feed - 07/03/10 09:33 PM

Are you buying a premixed Corn/Soy mix or are you buying a bag of each and mixing them in the feeder? If you are mixing them yourself, what ratios?

Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: protein feed - 07/13/10 01:00 AM

www.lindnerfeed.com

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum