Texas Hunting Forum

Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review

Posted By: BourbonLegend

Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/15/10 07:26 PM

I ordered the Destroyer last monday and had it by friday, I took it out saturday night to see what it would do. I ordered the GUN Package with a red light. I went out and walked the woods with it, I was really wanting to test the light out, more than worry about gettin on hogs. I took it to the hi-line where we have a feeder set up. I could easily make out the feeder at 100yds, and I would say 120yds was enough to be able to shoot. You can see something at about 130yds but you can't make it out real well. I ran the light for about and hour and still had charge left on it. I didn't get any pictures because at 100 yds a still imagine didn't work well. I will try and get the video camera out next time I go. So far in my opinion these lights live up to everything they claim to be. I will be ordering a green one soon.

IMO the mini-snipers and destroyers are the best lights ive seen.

Hopefully I'll have video by this weekend.

Posted By: biggerD

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/15/10 08:04 PM

good to hear is that the yards looking through the scope or just by eye

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/15/10 08:21 PM

both, you can see better with the scope of course.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/15/10 10:56 PM

Thanks for the report!

Posted By: biggerD

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/15/10 11:03 PM

very nice thanks looking foward to the vid.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/16/10 06:27 PM

I shoot out of a Rhino Evolution XP-1 groundblind. Do you shoot out of a ground blind? If so, how did you mount the light? I made a cheap stab light for this past weekend BUT it is mounted where the stab. goes & it is too low for it to shine out of the window. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH. I found out after sitting in the blind for 2 hours, went to draw & nada. All it did was light up the inside of the blind. I would have to shoot it gangsta' style(sideways) to get the light to shine out of the window. Anybody done a mod to mount it higher on a bow, somewhere w/in 4" of the sight?

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/16/10 07:47 PM

I use my on my bow and AR, works great.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/16/10 09:25 PM

I hunt out of tree stand, box blinds and ground blinds...hell I even bust out the tree saddle every once in a while. Anyway I have not had a problem with any of the mounting options they offer. I use the rail mount for the destroyer and the bow mounts on the mini sniper primarily. I also only use my bow when I can get up high in the tree, I use the gun when I get in the ground blind.

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/19/10 03:59 PM

got mine all mounted up to my AR. Planning to test it out this weekend. I thought mounting the light to the barrel might affect accuracy but I took it to the range with the light mounted and it still groups pretty tight at 50 yards (approx distance from stand to feeder)

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/22/10 01:53 AM

I also just got the destroyer in red, it is awesome and everything I expected. I could easily see an animal to 130-150 yards through my leopold vxII scope.

Posted By: Henryseale

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/22/10 05:35 AM

Question: Were ya'll using the single rechargeable 3.7 volt lithium 18650 battery or two CR 123A 3 volt batteries? The Destroyer is advertised to be able to use either. It would seem to me that two CR 123A 3 volt batteries (6 volts total) would be brighter than the one 3.7 volt single battery. Also note that you can also get CR 123A rechargeable batteries, but Hawg Light does not seem to offer them. Really interested in ya'lls answers. I am thinking seriously about getting one of these.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/22/10 12:40 PM

yes you can use the CR 123 batteries, it takes 2 of them. THE COMPANY STRONGLY ADVISES YOU NOT TO USE the CR123 rechargeable batteries. The cr123 batteries cost $4 a piece and it takes 2 batteries and they only last about 45 minutes. So is $8 really worth it everytime you go out? I dont think so. Each package comes with 2 rechargeable batteries, so it gives you 3 hours of total light, if one dies pop in the other because it only takes 1 at a time. It makes all the sense in the world to use their batteries bc after 3-4 hunts with the CR123 batteries you have already spent $20 in batteries. I used mine with the cr123 batteries and they drained so quickly I wont ever do it again, but i will have a set on hand in case the other batteries malfunction for any reason. The batteries/charger cost under $25 I believe, so it makes all the sense in the world to get them IN MY OPINION.

Posted By: preston629

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/22/10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Henryseale
Question: Were ya'll using the single rechargeable 3.7 volt lithium 18650 battery or two CR 123A 3 volt batteries? The Destroyer is advertised to be able to use either. It would seem to me that two CR 123A 3 volt batteries (6 volts total) would be brighter than the one 3.7 volt single battery. Also note that you can also get CR 123A rechargeable batteries, but Hawg Light does not seem to offer them. Really interested in ya'lls answers. I am thinking seriously about getting one of these.

when it comes to batteries you dont add the voltages together, doesnt work like that. its more of a helper battery. its like adding a second battery to your car. the cr123 batts that are rechargeable arent that great, dont hold a full charge......

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/23/10 11:35 PM

i'm plenty satisfied with the power of the light with the batteries sent to me with the detroyer....every light comes with batteries anyway just use those. I love this light! I haven't made it out to get video yet guys but I will!!!

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
The cr123 batteries cost $4 a piece and it takes 2 batteries and they only last about 45 minutes.

your buying your batterys in the wrong place man, they are 2 dollars a piece everywhere and last about 3 hours in my streamlight...

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 02:13 AM

well I dont have a streamlight lol. and acadmy has them for 2.99 or 3.99 I believe. but they are quality brand lights like duracell or high powered lithium batteries. I dont know if the ones u buy r a cheap brand or not. I wouldnt trade my destroyer light for anything its powerful, long range and quality made. I dont know anything about streamlight

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 02:28 AM

Can one of ya'll take the RED LED out & give me the brand/part # off it?

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 02:41 AM

I wont do that to mine sorry, it voids the warranty.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 03:40 AM

Oh, I didn't realise that. They won't sell me one.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 12:23 PM

y wont they sell you a flashlight?

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 03:26 PM

They won't sell me a red LED.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 03:27 PM

i think he means they won't sell him just the bulb.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 03:28 PM

damn posted at the same time.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/24/10 03:50 PM

o gottcha, well i understand the reasoning behind that.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/25/10 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
I dont know if the ones u buy r a cheap brand or not.

academy sells streamlight batterys for 5 dollars a 2 pack. gtdist.com has them for 2 dollars all the time and 1.50 if you buy 25 or more. last i checked streamlight brand wasnt cheap..

Posted By: McWilliams

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/30/10 11:24 PM

Anyone know whats up with their site? I was going to order one and it says their site is on a freeze...

Posted By: redog

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/30/10 11:31 PM

Looking around the sites i have heard good talk about the light but no one has said if they have killed a hog with it????

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: redog
Looking around the sites i have heard good talk about the light but no one has said if they have killed a hog with it????

This is kind of like asking why people have not killed something with a certain type of bow or rifle. it's a light, it serves one purpose. It's the person behind the trigger that "makes the sale" so to speak. So anyone know whats up with their site? I would really like to get My hands on a destroyer before next week.

Posted By: redog

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 12:35 AM

The light is made for the purpose of seeing what your shooting at after dark but you still need to see your crosshairs......
I Check out the site and yes it is frozen....They also had a forum that went away a few weeks ago ...Wonder what up?

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 01:51 AM

I killed 2 coons with mine Saturday night with my benelli m2 tac. I pig hunted with and and got tired of seeing nothing so went walking along the creek with a buddy blased 2. These lights are absolutely the real deal. I used mine this weekend with almost a full moon and you could see very easily. I want to see what it does with no moon at all.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 01:51 AM

I killed 2 coons with mine Saturday night with my benelli m2 tac. I pig hunted with and and got tired of seeing nothing so went walking along the creek with a buddy blased 2. These lights are absolutely the real deal. I used mine this weekend with almost a full moon and you could see very easily. I want to see what it does with no moon at all.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 01:53 AM

ok, anyone have a # for these people?

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 02:13 AM

Doen't the attach to your scope night lights give off enough residual light to see your crosshairs in the scope?

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 02:29 AM

I ordered mine of the net and was in my mailbox in 3 days. And yes you can very easily see out of your crosshairs with it mounted to the scope. The packaged I got had a few mounts in it and can quickly be mounted to a shotty or a rifle. 168 bones

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 07:47 PM

I could easily see racoons out to 120 yards in my scope and could see deer out to 150-160 yards with no problem

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 03/31/10 09:33 PM

yea these lights are legit.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/01/10 12:47 AM

Just bought a green a few weeks ago to use on my AR. Got a red on my bow. Great product and great customer service as well.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/01/10 12:21 PM

will be using my new destroyer this easter break in hopes of getting my first coon,possum, hog with it

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/05/10 10:21 PM

After a few times my destroyer light started to flicker when I turned it on. I sent it back to Robert at Sniper and he replaced it no questions asked. I was impressed with the good svc over there.

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/11/10 05:29 AM

I am thinking about getting a Destroyer with the green led since I have an Eotech on my AR and the dot is red I thought it might be easier to see with a green light. Has anyone had any experience with the green light, seems most people pick red.

Also, I wonder how the Destroyer compares with the new Bowlite Riflelite that recently came out. They look pretty much the same. I am trying to decide between the two of them. Any suggestions??

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/13/10 07:28 PM

No experience with the riflelite but I can tell you that I am very pleased with my destroyer. I have heard some good reports about the red and green lights but I think most people go with red because it has been proven beyond any doubt that it is difficult for critters to see. If I was going to run an eotech I would probably go with green though. I think there is someone on here who has a green one.

Posted By: Leadslinger93

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/17/10 04:26 PM

your are correct...streamlights arent cheap...i just bought a poly stinger...but they are worth it. this light is about 7 inches long...very light and is brighter than my huge 6D mag lite!!! there crazy! and they have awesome rechargers. they give you one for the house and the truck. both of them are the piggy back system. average price was about 150

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/18/10 02:43 AM

I totally forgot to post after I got My destroyer. I LOVE this thing, very well made and could see in great detail out to at least 100yds with just a crappy 3x9x40 I had on the .22. have not got to hunt with it yet, but plan on it when I head to the ranch this week to over see the install of a stand. I will post up some pics when I get back. I recommend this light for sure!

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/19/10 05:24 PM

I used mine in the stand sat night, lightning and rain on its way so I left early and what do you know.....30 mins after leaving the pigs showed up.(game camera) I love mine and have yet to kill anything bc I was waiting on hogs so didnt shoot coons, would rather kill them another way then scare off hogs bc of shooting.I lost a piece to my barrel mount so cant use that mount which sucks...my scope mounts work great its just my scopes are a little too big and cant see too good bc glare into scope.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/19/10 06:30 PM

I have burris XTR rings on my savage and I bought a picatinny top for the front ring so I just attach it to there. goes on and off much easier and doesn't mount to the barrel and affect accuracy. Here is the piece I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...4=263602_263622

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/19/10 07:34 PM

I checked it out but how does that work on ur scope? please explain

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/25/10 11:42 PM

Well here is my detailed review of it!!!! Finally got one.

3/23/10- sat in stand for 3 hours, saw 2 coons and few deer.. Neither of which paid any attention to the light and minded there own business at 100 and 175 yards away.

4/23/10....8:30-10:45. Right after settling in the stand I hear 3 shots back to back and some squeeling. My neighbor got a local with night vision to come out and he dropped 3 hogs. I didnt see any hogs. same 2 coons and 1 deer. 2 coons kept feeding for 20-30 mins and didnt move. deer was eating in the field and didnt move either. Coons were 110 yards away and deer 150 or so.

4/24/10. 8:30-10:15.......IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!! Was watching the same 2 coons and every 5-10 mins I would shine my light and search around for hogs. I didnt hear anything and just looked up to search and it looked like 15 coons under the feeder. But they were baby hogs. My heart started pounding lol and 1 minute later 8-10 full grown hogs followed but did not go inside the trap like the babies(trap was not set). I had 3-4 hogs come 65-70 yards from me and I had the light on them and all the hogs for 5-7 minutes before I shot and they had no idea. I decided to shoot the biggest sow that just had the litter of 12-15 in hopes that the little ones would either die or come back looking for her.
So I shot and heard them all fun off, didnt hear any squeeling like I hit her. I waited 5 minutes and decided to get out, go put gun up(grab my pistol, another beer, and a flashlight) and went to where I "shot" her but found no blood. I walked around for a bit to the right of the trap to where they all ran off to. NOTHING!!!!! I was so pissed. So I went back out there today around 3pm to make some mineral licks and wire the gate open on my figure 6 trap. And upon driving up I saw 10 buzzards fly up to the left of the trap. AND THERE SHE LAY!!!!! Too bad I wasted that meat but O well I got her. She is around 200 lbs and as you can tell was nasty after maggots/buzzards got to her.
It was a full moon almost so the light was not visible as far but 120-130 yards and I could see easily through my Leopold. On a low/no moon night you can see 150-160 yards easy through your scope.

In closing...I also lost a piece to my rifle mount and Robert is mailing me a new one free of charge. THESE LIGHTS ARE AWESOME and the customer service is unbelievable. I hope this company takes off as I will keep raving about it.

BEFORE/AFTER PICS:

Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/27/10 02:51 AM

I keep having problems finishing my order.Does anybody have a phone number to call in a order?I didnt see any phone numbers on the website.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/27/10 02:59 AM

no I dont know, got my free part in for my mount that I lost. THIS COMPANY IS LEGIT, awesome customer service to go along w quality light

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/27/10 08:01 PM

nice update CC i am taking mine with me this weekend to jack county to do some varmint hunting yeehaw!!!

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/27/10 11:39 PM

I will be putting mine to good use again this weekend.

Posted By: BePrepared

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/29/10 03:13 PM

I have a Blackhawk XHR7 that i was trying to sell for a while, but i decided to keep it.

Last night i mounted it on my rifle and based on what you folks are saying, the perfomance is pretty much identical to your destroyers. At 200 yards, i could clearly read the lettering on a stop sign with zero ouside light.

it's a white beam so i'm not sure how that'll work with hogs.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/29/10 04:47 PM

it will scare hogs for sure...at least with mine it does

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/29/10 05:00 PM

i wonder if there's any filter i could put over it that'll make em less scared.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/29/10 05:44 PM

I dont know i am sure you could make something, but the effective range will decrease by over 50%.

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 04/29/10 05:53 PM

that's perfectly fine. If i can use it at 100 yards, it'll do what i need... i'd want a flip up filter of some sort if at all possible.

honestly what i REALLY want is one of those Laser Genetics ND3 lasers but it's HARD for me to justify the cost when i have 5 high end flashlights at home.

Posted By: Just-Hunt

Re: Sniper Hawglite Destroyer Review - 05/27/10 11:01 PM

I use a Marauder Hawglite with a Groundblind bracket that raises the light up about 3". No problems from a blind with it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum