Texas Hunting Forum

BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/02/10 03:17 AM

I ordered one today from Amazon. Supposed to be here Thursday. We are planning our first trip to the new lease in Sonora and plan on setting up some feeders. I'm planning on putting it out and see how it does. I've got two buddies that bought them this year and have had great luck with them. They've sent me some pictures and they look very good. One guy hunts Rocksprings and only changed his batteries out one time during the middle of deer season so he got several thousand pics from two sets from Sept through January.

Do any of you guys have one or have any input on them?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/02/10 03:45 AM

If I remember correctly, they took great daytime pics, but not so much at night (or whatever was there had to be fairly close)

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/02/10 03:46 AM

congrats, thats the next one I'm gonna get. I've heard too many good reviews on it. Keep us posted

Posted By: TexasPI

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/02/10 04:17 AM

I am on my second one now, and unfortunately it will be going back to Cabela's too. I really wanted to like this camera, but the picture quality is just too poor for me. Battery life is great, size is great, sensing range and trigger speed are great, but.........on the first one, I immediately noticed that the daytime pictures were really dark. During deer season, I was averaging about 250 pictures per every 24 hour period (I change out the chip around noon each day). Of the 200 or so daytime pics, about 190 to 195 of them were unusually dark. This even took place on bright sunny days. I ended up taking over 4000 daytime pics with the camera over a 3 week period and always experienced the dark pictures in at least 95% of the daytime pics. I even placed a 12 year old Moultrie 3mp and a Stealth 5mp on the same tree to compare picture quality under the same conditions. The result? The Bushnell was by far the worst quality pictures. Could I see the deer.....yes, but often times I could not tell the difference between an 8pt and 10pt buck (couldn't distinquish the tines) at 25 feet.
Took the camera back and decided to try another Bushnell TC just in case I got a bad one. Well, I've had it out for about 3 weeks now.....and over 1000 pics later, the same results. Daytime pictures are just too dark to be acceptable for a $200 camera. It is a shame, because everything else (size, battery life, trigger, etc) is really appealing. But if the picture quality is bad, what's the point?
Post your results when you try it out, would be interested in seeing if you experience the same problem.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/02/10 11:24 PM

dang, I didn't want to hear that. I may stick with my cheap wildgames, they take decent pics and for the price, I can't beat it.

Gonna rethink this one

Posted By: Hunter30

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/03/10 02:46 AM

You cannot beat Cuddyback. Simple to use and great pics. Same price as the Bushnell

Posted By: gogburn

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/03/10 04:52 AM

I've had good experience with mine. No daylight problems at all. They do have a two year warranty unlike any of the others. I'm sticking with them and changing out my Moultries.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/03/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
dang, I didn't want to hear that. I may stick with my cheap wildgames, they take decent pics and for the price, I can't beat it.

Gonna rethink this one

Which one(s) are you using? I tried the IR one when Academy had it on sale for $70. The dang IR went out on the 1st week!

Sounds like this whole game camera deal is about like the Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate! LMAO

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/03/10 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter30
You cannot beat Cuddyback. Simple to use and great pics. Same price as the Bushnell

Oh really!??? Please click this link: http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...Y_P#Post1065840

LMAO Ford-Chevy-Dodge for sure!

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/04/10 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted By: TreeBass

Gonna rethink this one

Which one(s) are you using? I tried the IR one when Academy had it on sale for $70. The dang IR went out on the 1st week!

Sounds like this whole game camera deal is about like the Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate! LMAO

I have an IR and a flash model, the IR does ok, but not as good as it did when I first bought it. I thought it was me confused2 The flash model seems to suck the life out of batteries within 24 hours

Posted By: Skunk Ape

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/04/10 10:36 PM

I have three of these cameras now and highly recommend them. I did have to send one back to Basspro because of dark daytime pics and blackouts at night, but got the replacement and it's worked just fine. With any of these game cameras, you're going to get a few bad apples now and then. The only knock on them appears to be the night pics not being very bright. It has 24 IR LED's, and they must have listened to their customers because the new 2010 model due out in a few months has and additional 8 LED's for a total of 32, so that should help with this problem. The new model, Bushnell Trophy Cam XLT also has increased storage capacity allowing for up to 16GB SDHC card, and also has increased resolution of 8MP and take HD video at 720P resolution. Of course the resolution improvements are software based, so it reamains to be seen how the pics will look. Anyway, this is a great camera, you won't be disappointed in my opinion.

Posted By: burly

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/06/10 03:48 AM

So if I'm going to buy a cuddeback which one should I buy, the new version or maybe the expert. Obviously I have heard bad reviews on the IR. Just want something thats going to work and not always having to worry if my camera is working.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/06/10 02:48 PM

I went w/the BTC. You will get bad reviews on almost every cam unless you spend $400 or more. The BTC seems to have the LEAST bad reviews.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/08/10 03:04 PM

UPDATE;

Got the cameral Thursday and put only 4 batteries in it instead of the 8 that it'll hold. Set it up for about 5 hours in the office here. I set it on every 30 seconds to shoot one picture and then about 1/2 way through I set it to shoot 2 pictures each time it was triggered. I then set it on 10 sec video clips for a little while. It took about 150 pics and 31 video clips. ALL pics and clips were very clear and I was pleasantly surprised that the pics were all in color because the office is not all that bright.

I took it home and set it up all day Friday as we had some guys installing new tile in the house and my wife had to leave for a couple of hours to take the kids to the dentist. It took almost 400 pictures and they were all very good! I then let my son jack around with it and he set it several different ways and it took another 250 pictures and about 60 more video clips and the battery meter still shows to be very strong.

We did not go to the new least out West because it rained quite a bit and the landowner doesn't want the roads rutted up. I cannot wait to put 8 AA batteries in it and see what it'll do in the field because I've very impressed so far!

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/08/10 03:28 PM

I've been planning on getting one of these myself, thanks for the review.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/08/10 03:48 PM

UPDATE;

Set it up for about 5 hours in the office here. I set it on every 30 seconds to shoot one picture and then about 1/2 way through I set it to shoot 2 pictures each time it was triggered. I then set it on 10 sec video clips for a little while. It took about 150 pics and 31 video clips. ALL pics and clips were very clear and I was pleasantly surprised that the pics were all in color because the office is not all that bright.

That's a lot of trips to the restroom & coffee pot. hammer

Hope you can get the cams up on the new lease soon. up

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/08/10 04:40 PM

Cuddeback expert is an awesome camera, i try to stay away from IR cameras, those seem to have alot of problems no matter the brand. I have a cuddeback IR no flash and a cuddeback expert. The expert is half the price and by far the better camera. It takes the best pictures of any CAMERA I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! PERIOD! and even better i got it at academy like a year ago for 175 after taxes. It takes amazing day/night color photos. I will put the pics up against any camera NO BS

Posted By: helomech

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/08/10 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
Cuddeback expert is an awesome camera, i try to stay away from IR cameras, those seem to have alot of problems no matter the brand. I have a cuddeback IR no flash and a cuddeback expert. The expert is half the price and by far the better camera. It takes the best pictures of any CAMERA I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! PERIOD! and even better i got it at academy like a year ago for 175 after taxes. It takes amazing day/night color photos. I will put the pics up against any camera NO BS

Not all IR cams have problems. The buckeye is trouble free, and a awesome camera.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/18/10 07:45 PM

Update, 02-18-10:

My boy and I have been testing it in and around the house. To date it has taken over 1,500 pictures and about 250 10-second video clips and still has 1 bar left on the battery meter!!! This is with just 4 AA batteries in it, NOT 8!!!! All pictures and clips, including night images are very good. I'm very, very impressed with this little camera so far! Might get the chance to put it out in the field this weekend and give it a real test.

Posted By: TBone250

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/19/10 02:14 PM

I've had the Bushnell Trophy Cam out in the field since last Oct. Definitely the best feature is the battery life. But, I would still like to get it setup like everything else and have a 6V rechargeable and solar panel hooked up. Has anyone done this on the Trophy Cam? I have everything I need except for a plug that fits into the external power jack. I know the instructions say it requires a "positive tip" supplying between 400mA and 100mA. I tried the Stealth Cam battery cable, but it's too big.
Anyone know where I can find the right size plug?

Disregard question. Found a link off of chasingame.com.

http://custom1enterprises.com/custom1enterprises_002.htm

Posted By: GLC

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/19/10 08:13 PM

Go to Raido Shack, they have all sizes of plugs.

Posted By: sqiggy

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/19/10 11:09 PM

Got mine up last Oct. Still on first set of batteries. I don't even know how many pics it's taken. I fill up the card, look at them, delete, and put back up. For me, the pics are great. Plan on gettin a couple more.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/21/10 01:53 AM

bigbucks,

thanks for the update. Just picked up my card today with another 700+ pics on it. Again, all daytime pics are way too dark. I take that back...there was one single daytime pic that the lighting was ok! As per my earlier post, this is my second trophy cam (first one was returned because of dark pics). Battery life, trigger speed, etc. still great, but pics are just too bad to live with. The new Bushnell Trophy Cam XLT is suppose to be available in a couple of weeks....will take the current one back and give the XLT a try. Glad you got a good one.

Posted By: Moe #2

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/22/10 03:38 AM

Just got pics from last week most where to dark I guess i'll be taking my trophy cam back to bps.Whats funny is some look fine.

Posted By: gogburn

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/23/10 05:48 PM

Some of the IR cameras have problems with the phots at dusk and dawn. When it is not quite dark enough for the IR to come on yet but a bit dark for the regular pictures. See if the darker pictures are closer to sunrise/sunset or in the middle of the day.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/23/10 08:00 PM

Unfortunately, virtually all of the daytime pictures taken by both of my Trophy Cams were way too dark. Not just dawn and dusk, but throughout the middle of the day. I even placed my new trophy cam, a stealth I590 and a 12 year old 3mp moultrie on the same tree....one just above the other - to compare pics. The picture quality of the 12 year old 3mp moultrie was so much better than the trophy cam, there was no comparison. Comparing over 400 pictures from each camera (set up on same tree) over a week period, the trophy cam always had the worst quality pictures (primarily just too dark).

Posted By: Moe #2

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/24/10 04:27 AM

Texaspi your correct middle of the day was to dark. I didn't see many white or black outs. One pic would be dark then 10 min. later there would be good one then the next 15 to 20 pics were bad. Any way to many people have had good thangs to say so I retured the cam and got a new one seemed ok in the backyard but will give it another try this weekend.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 02/24/10 05:12 AM

From the tons of research I have done, it seems that you could buy 10 Trophy Cams and have 8 of them bad....but 2 of them good. Then you could buy another 10, and have 8 of them good and 2 of them bad. I really like everything about the camera except always getting the dark pics. Since enough people are getting good ones, I plan on taking back this 2nd one and giving another a try. I have been waiting for the Trophy Cam XLT (suppose to be released in a couple of weeks), but yesterday read about delays in the release in order to work out a few problems.

Posted By: StrosFan

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/07/10 01:18 AM

Got one and put it out for the month of Dec. not much bad to say about it other than not enough deer to take pic's of, battery life was great, photos were all excellent!!!! Would buy one again in a heart beat!!!!

Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/10/10 08:09 PM

hows everybody's night time pics?

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/11/10 03:12 AM

I have only noticed that when battery life is going down black pictures and then fresh batterys good pictures.

Posted By: gary75758

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/12/10 11:58 PM

Night time pics leave alot to be desired. other wise very good pics texas

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/17/10 12:32 PM

Update - 03-17-10:

The battery test at home is complete. With just 4 AA batteries I got between 3,000-4,000 pictures and between 300-400 10 second video clips. The overwhelming majority of both the clips and pics was with the IR as about 3/4 of them were taken inside the house. Picture quality was good until about the last 200-300 pictures when the batteries were running out and they became a little darker and such. Trigger speed was good, not as good as the Cuddeback, but certainly much better then any of the Moultrie's I've had over the years including my 4.0 IR. Picture quality I'd rate as better then the Cuddeback but not quite as good as the Moultrie.

I have noticed that when I turn the camera from the off position to the 'setup' position that the setup menu does not appear and I only get a lit, blue screen. I'm hoping this is simply because of the batteries being completely drained and not any othe issue. I'm going to put a fresh set of batteries in it to make sure and it is time for it's first field trip so to speak.

We are hoping to go to the new lease in Sonora this coming weekend and set up feeders so I'll be able to put it through it's initial run. I'm really hoping this camera performs well and continues to do well because I truly like everything about it! More updates to follow as soon as I have more info to share.

I hope this hopes all of you make a decision on whether to try on or not and I'll keep this thread going so that everyone knows how this camera does in the pasture.

Posted By: jneutrontx

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/20/10 02:43 PM

nanybody got any feedback yet on the Bushnell 2010 8 megapixel trophy cam. i found it only online for 166.50 http://bigfootgear.com/bushnell-trophy-cam-8mp.html

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/21/10 06:25 AM

check out the chasinggame.com review and forum posts. seems that there are some bugs that still haven't been worked out. the few that got there hands on one, are reporting the same dark daytime pics as I have been experiencing on the 5mp Trophy Cam. Also, it appears that the camera is only 5mp (interpolated to 8mp). I just pulled my trophy cam yesterday, with another 500 daytime pics on it. I think I ended up with about 5 out of 500 that weren't way too dark. After returning it, I might give the trophy cam one last try with the 2010 model.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/22/10 03:23 AM

I now have 3 cuddebacks and wouldnt trade them for anything, 1 of them is IR other are flash. I just returned my Recon Extreme and bought the cuddeback capture for $199. So far it works just like the rest of my cuddebacks with real clear pictures. One more added bonus is its alot easier to program. It takes 30 seconds and your done. My buddy has the trophy cam and has had no problems and loves it

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/23/10 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasPI
check out the chasinggame.com review and forum posts. seems that there are some bugs that still haven't been worked out. the few that got there hands on one, are reporting the same dark daytime pics as I have been experiencing on the 5mp Trophy Cam. Also, it appears that the camera is only 5mp (interpolated to 8mp). I just pulled my trophy cam yesterday, with another 500 daytime pics on it. I think I ended up with about 5 out of 500 that weren't way too dark. After returning it, I might give the trophy cam one last try with the 2010 model.

TexasPI, can you post a couple of these dark daytime pics here or better yet, email them to me at iluvbigbucks@yahoo.com I'd like to take a look at them and then compare them to the ones I get from the field when I go back to the lease in about 3 weeks or so.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/23/10 05:51 PM

Let me see if I can find any. I usually have 3-4 cameras that I pull the chips on once a week. That usually equals about 1500 pics a week to go through......and I only keep a handful of the best pics. To be honest with you, of the 10,000 or so pics that I have taken with the BTC, I'm not sure that I kept any. Although I can see what is in the pictures, the picture quality (darkness) is so far below what the other cameras take, I am usually not left with the desire to keep the pictures for later viewing. I will see if I can find a few.

Posted By: jneutrontx

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/28/10 03:10 AM

Got my 8megapixle trophy cam a few days ago and I was taken about 750 pictures, both day and night around house and yard with it at all different settings. And I'd have to say at least 90% of the pictures are great. Very clear and with plenty of brightness in them.

And boy is that camera tiny.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/29/10 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jneutrontx
Got my 8megapixle trophy cam a few days ago and I was taken about 750 pictures, both day and night around house and yard with it at all different settings. And I'd have to say at least 90% of the pictures are great. Very clear and with plenty of brightness in them.

And boy is that camera tiny.

cool! Where'd you get it any how much?

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/30/10 02:00 AM

they are at bass pro for $200 wo screen or $250 w screen.....same price as the old one which seem likes a really good deal. if anyone tries one out let us know

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/30/10 04:45 AM

Just took back my 5mp Trophy Cam (dark pictures) and got the last 8mp Trophy Cam that Cabelas (Ft. Worth) had yesterday. I was just going to return the 5mp and wait a few months for the known kinks to be worked out of the new 8mp, but I thought that Cabelas return policy was 90 days on everything. I learned the hard way that it is only 60 days on electronics and optics, and it had been 62 days since I bought the btc 5mp. They let me swap even for the new model. Will get it out later this week and give a field report as soon as I have tested it a little.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/30/10 12:26 PM

thanks, yes bass pro/cabelas/academy have real great customer service usually and will back up their products. I love that especially with deer cameras bc we all know how they can malfunction. Look forward to the report!!!!

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 03/30/10 05:02 PM

Cool TexasPI! Hope it does great for you and looking forward to seeing how the pics turn out!

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/03/10 04:32 PM

UPDATE 04-03-10

Went to the lease yesterday and picked up cards. The Trophy cam took almost 1800 pics in two weeks. I couldn't believe it but it was dead after 1800 and I installed 8 AA batteries in it. The damn cows bumped it and it only took pics of the new feeder for a couple of days but luckily it was at an angle just to the side of the feeder where it still took some pictures. I got some great ones of Turkeys. It took very good daytime photos and the night time weren't bad. The night pic below was of a couple of does fighting and they were behind the feeder and the feeder is about 25' away so they were between 30-40'.

[img:left][/img]

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/05/10 03:42 AM

awesome daytime pics. I would not be happy with those daytime pics personally, lol. Maybe its bc my cuddebacks spoils me in terms of nightime pic quality. Anyone tried the trophy cam flash camera? Since most of my pics are at night, a flash camera works best for me because of shortened IR range.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/07/10 03:23 PM

I have 50 BTC out and have checked a few. So far good daytime pics, which is what I need. I don't really like the way the batteries fit. They seem a little loose to me.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/13/10 07:05 AM

Quick 2010 Trophy Cam (new model) update:

Just picked up the first sd card yesterday from the new model BTC. Good news / bad news. Pictures seem much better than the previous BTC cams. Didn't get all of the dark daytime pics that I was getting before. Pictures aren't quite as clear as I hoped when compared to the 12 year old moultrie 4mp and the stealth I590 5mp cameras, but decent enough. The disappointing observation.......I placed the new BTC just 1 inch above the stealth I590 to compare triggers and picture quality. In the 1 week that the cameras were out, the stealth had 596 pictures and the BTC only had 288. I haven't had a chance to really look at all of the pictures, but with a quick skimming - I didn't see any false triggers on the stealth that might account for the higher picture count. After I get a chance to really look at and compare the pictures, I will post a report. I reset the cameras in the same location and will check again next weekend to see if the BTC continues to miss events.

Posted By: StrosFan

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/16/10 10:01 PM

Well if you like the BTC which I like, Natchez has them on sale for $129 right now!!! I just ordered my second one. Pic's at night on my first one are a little dark, but I'm not going to be blowing any of them up and framing them, so not a problem for me. The ability to use AA batteries instead of D batt's is also a HUGE plus!!!

Posted By: Bear Creek

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/16/10 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: StrosFan
Well if you like the BTC which I like, Natchez has them on sale for $129 right now!!! I just ordered my second one. Pic's at night on my first one are a little dark, but I'm not going to be blowing any of them up and framing them, so not a problem for me. The ability to use AA batteries instead of D batt's is also a HUGE plus!!!

You know you can buy battery adapters or "upsizers" that allow you to use AAs in most things that require D or C cells. I run the AA lithiums in most of my cams now and they last a looooong time.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/19/10 01:40 AM

how do you use that adapter you are referring to? would be awesome to use with my cuddebacks. please explain

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/19/10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: StrosFan

What, or where is Natchez????

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/19/10 09:39 PM

Natchez

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/21/10 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Muchas Grassy Azz! grin

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/21/10 06:32 PM

Another 2010 BTC (8mp) update:

Picked up the cards again last weekend. This is in the location where I had the BTC on the same tree as my Stealth I590. The Stealth had 412 pictures.....and the BTC only had 198. This time, I took the cards home and put one on my desktop pc and one on my laptop, side by side. I then went through both cards....one picture at a time, to see why the Stealth had more than double the pictures as the BTC. Neither camera had any completely blank pictures (false triggers). What I did realize, is that the Stealth had a lot of pictures of dove, crows, squirrels, coons, etc. The BTC, did not trigger at all on birds, squirrels, coons, etc. Taking into account only the pictures of either deer or hogs, the BTC took 198 pictures and the Stealth took 206 pictures. So, not as bad as I had originally thought. It was troubling though, to see the pictures that the BTC missed. Almost all were deer standing directly in front of the camera, within less than 15 feet. How it missed those, but at the same time would pick up deer 50 feet out, is beyond me. Picture quality is way better than the 5mp BTC cameras that I had to return. Night pictures still leave a lot to be desired, when compared to the white flash of the Stealth. Not necessarily a knock on the BTC, but more on the differences between white and ir flash cameras.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/22/10 01:03 PM

Great info Texaspi. Thanks for sharing

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/22/10 01:53 PM

I think i would rather have the camera that was really sensitive, even to small animals. dont u think guys? Because then you know it is getting everything that walks by or is within range

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/22/10 06:00 PM

I'm with you on wanting the more sensitive camera. It is really bugging me that there can be 2-3 large raccoons right in front of the camera, about 10 feet away, and the BTC won't trigger at all. Like I said above, the handfull of deer pictures that the BTC missed (that the Stealth picked up), were deer standing between 5 and 15 feet away, directly in front of the camera.

The Stealth I590 will pick up even a single redbird under the feeder with no problems. Sure, I have to go through a bunch of bird and squirrel pics everytime I pull the card, but I also get a lot of cool pics of bobcats, skunks, etc. that I am beginning to think that the BTC might miss. I wish I had more confidence in the Stealth products. The I590 takes the best pictures and is by far the best camera that I have owned (trigger, flash range, pic quality, etc) as long at keeps working. The problem is not knowing how long it will last, and knowing that Stealth won't do squat when it breaks.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/22/10 07:22 PM

my uncle has an old stealth and damn its amazing. its one of the bigger tall ones(12 inches or so). I think its like some off color green. It takes just as good of pics as my cuddebacks and lasts forever with the 12v adapter cord. But now it seems like Stealths are 5 bad to every 1 good one. Not worth it.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/22/10 10:46 PM

My first Stealth I590 worked great. One set of batteries lasted from November through February. Took incredible daytime pictures and the night pics were awesome. Claims to have a 90 foot flash......and it did every bit of that and then some. After 4 months+ on the batteries, I hooked up the external battery pack. Each week for about 5 weeks I would turn off the unit.....change sd cards....then turn the unit back on....no problems. The last time I did this, as I was walking away from the unit, I smelled smoke. I turned around and saw smoke pouring out of the camera. The camera was done. A little internet research and I realized that quite a few people had this same problem. With Stealth's amazing 90 day warranty.....there wasn't anything that I could do. Last September I got another I590. From day one, half of the pictures were blue and white streaks. Took it back and got another. This one, half the pictures were red and white streaks. Took it back and got the one that I have now. About 5 months with no problems so far. Good enough battery life not to take the chance on hooking it up to the external battery pack again. Just don't know how long it will last. Its a shame, because I can get almost 3 of the I590's for the price of 1 BTC.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 04/23/10 03:54 AM

yes i just researched it and that is exactly what my uncle has, i will for sure be buying one of those ASAP. Where did you find them the cheapest?

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/05/10 01:47 PM

UPDATE 06--510

Went to the lease this past weekend after leaving it out for 8 weeks. It took right at 2,500 pictures on 8 AA batteries and lasted about 5 weeks. I'm a little disappointed because when we initially tested it at home with just 4AA batteries we got betweein 3,000 and 4,000 pictures and over 300 10 second vid clips. I can live with the amount of pictures it is taking but just thought it would do a little better, especially since it has warmed up so.

The picture quality during the day is good and night is decent. I feel like the IR could be a little stronger then it is. Overall, I really, really like this little camera though and if it will continue to perform for the next 5 months without problems, I will buy more.

Posted By: Woods Plumber

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/16/10 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasPI
I'm with you on wanting the more sensitive camera. It is really bugging me that there can be 2-3 large raccoons right in front of the camera, about 10 feet away, and the BTC won't trigger at all. Like I said above, the handfull of deer pictures that the BTC missed (that the Stealth picked up), were deer standing between 5 and 15 feet away, directly in front of the camera.

The Stealth I590 will pick up even a single redbird under the feeder with no problems. Sure, I have to go through a bunch of bird and squirrel pics everytime I pull the card, but I also get a lot of cool pics of bobcats, skunks, etc. that I am beginning to think that the BTC might miss. I wish I had more confidence in the Stealth products. The I590 takes the best pictures and is by far the best camera that I have owned (trigger, flash range, pic quality, etc) as long at keeps working. The problem is not knowing how long it will last, and knowing that Stealth won't do squat when it breaks.

I too like my cams to get all critters and not miss but when you have a sd card full from a small branch or weed at 40ft that kept triggering the cam then you rethink the hyper sensitive idea.
Does anyone make a camera that wont trigger on moving branches??

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/16/10 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Woods Plumber

I too like my cams to get all critters and not miss but when you have a sd card full from a small branch or weed at 40ft that kept triggering the cam then you rethink the hyper sensitive idea.
Does anyone make a camera that wont trigger on moving branches??

I can honestly say that my cuddeback IR has never produced a picture without an animal of some type in it. Cuddeback without a doubt has the best triggering mechanism but that is about all I'll say good about that camera because it is a battery eating sonofagun!

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/16/10 10:00 PM

I just bought my second Bushnell TC and it has 3 different scecitivity settings. I left on the default setting and it picks up birds and everything else. By accident I left it set to take a picture every 10 sec. and it filled up a 2GB chip (1878 pictures) in 2 weeks. I set it to 1 min. delay between activations and will decide after I see the pictures next week if I want to change the sensitivity.

TB

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/24/10 09:58 PM

I just purchased one of these and will be putting it up at the ranch this weekend. I will keep you posted as to picture and reliability quality. Hopefully it will work well.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/25/10 06:19 AM

I bought a new one and set it up in the backyard last night. And the pic quality is real good. I hate IR cameras, but 35-40 feet out and the pics r good. Closer r even better and videos are above average also. Now its time to see what it does in the field. i am putting it out this weekend

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/26/10 06:06 AM

I've had my BTC (new model) for quite a while now and it's taken 7000-10000 pics so far. You can see my previous posts (in this thread) about some of the positives and negatives. Overall, I'm just not overly impressed. Terrible camera? No. But when compared to my Stealth I590 (that is likely to go out at any time), the BTC takes lesser quality pictures, fails to take a substantial amount of pictures of animals that are right in front of the camera, and takes really poor night shots. This model does a little better than the previous BTC model with night shots, but I just cannot make myself like IR for night shots when compared to white flash. Camera size is nice, battery life is great, but when placed with my I590 at the same location......the I590 blows away the BTC in performance (pic quality, sensitivity, night shots, etc.). At $200 for the BTC(compared to the $80 I spent on the I590), I just expect at least an equaled quality product. If I thought that the I590 wouldn't quite on me on any given day, I would stock up and be done!

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/28/10 01:42 AM

I just bought a BTC and am trying it out but figure it also might be not what I am looking for. There were hogs in front of it and I didnt get many pics. The detection width seems narrow. I am getting a i590 for sure, my uncles is amazing

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/28/10 02:19 AM

I just bought my second and last BTC. The first one I had to return after three months use because I was getting blacked out pictures at night and they sent me a new one that has been working fine for the last 8 months so I bought the new 8 MBP Bone Collector camera. First time it was out it took 1888 pictures in two weeks and filled up the chip. I said my bad I left it set on the default 1 sec. between pictures (is that stupid, 1 sec. default). Set it for 1 min. between shots and two weeks later 1827 pictures, batteries are dead and when I look at the pictures, white out so bad you can't even see the feeder in front of the camera. This one is going back this week and I will never buy another Bushnell camera which is a shame becaues I love their scopes. So for $200 I got a Bone Collector decal and a camo paper weight.

Posted By: tomp

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/28/10 03:26 AM

Got 2 2010 Camo models for Father's Day. Put them out on the lease on 6/23 and went back to check them this morning. One of them took very good daytime pics and had about 60 pics on it. The nightime pics were hard to see but I noticed I needed to center the camera better. I could see where the IR lights were pointing and it was off to the side of the feeder where the deer were standing. The IR LEDs do not appear to provide a wide range of light so it seems it is important to get the camera pointed just perfect

The other BTC cam had over four thousand pics and I was shocked. I changed the PIR sensitivity from default "Normal" setting to "High", thinking this was the problem. Came back a few minutes later and still had way too many pics. Tried several different things and could not get it to work. The strange thing was that it took all those pics in the daytime and functioned normally at night. I ended up moving it to the other tree where the working BTC was located to prove to myself that it was not the trees and branches causing it. The same problem occured in this "known good location" so I knew the camera was bad.

Took the bad one back to BPS on the way back home today. They didnt have anymore in stock so I had to return it and will try again another day.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/29/10 04:34 AM

ccbaseball -
Just a little warning about the I590. When it works, it is one of the best cameras that I have owned (and I have owned a lot). Really nice daytime pics, decent trigger speed, great battery life and awesome night pics (has 90 ft flash range vs. most others with 30-45 ft.). BUT.......across the board, Stealth has really dropped the ball in quality and customer service. They dropped their warranty to only 90 days...but I read somewhere that they recently bumped it back up to 1 year. Just read some of the discussions on chasing game or other forums about the short life span of most Stealths.

My first I590 worked blew me away for about 3 months. Then I hooked up the 12v external battery source.....worked fine for about 3 or 4 weeks. Each weekend I would turn the unit off, change cards and then turn back on. The last time, after turning back on, the whole unit starting pouring out smoke. I tried to disconnect the external battery source, but the wires were glowing red. Needless to say, camera was fried. I did a little research and found out that this had happened to a lot of people. Of course, Stealth offered no relief (outside of the 90 day warranty by a few weeks).

Since the camera worked so well on just the internal batteries, I decided to try another one, but just not ever use an external battery source. This one didn't make it past the first day. 3/4 of the pictures were a weird blue color (could barely make out any images through the blue color). Took it back for exchange. Next one made it almost a week working properly. Then all of the pictures were red! Again, so covered in red that you could barely make out any images in the pictures. Exchanged again. Current one has made it almost 6 months with no problems....knock on wood.

Just thought that I would give you a heads up about the I590. Great when it works......but for how long??????

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/29/10 05:03 AM

My uncles has been going strong for over a year with external battery source. Night time pics are amazing. I bet its back up to a year

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/29/10 05:29 PM

Glad to hear that your uncle's has lasted that long. If you get a good one, they are impressive. For those of us who prefer a white flash over ir, the 90ft range flash does wonders.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 06/30/10 04:51 AM

yes the pics are amazing, stealth now has a 1 year warranty again ON ALL CAMERAS OLD AND NEW!!!

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 07/01/10 12:22 PM

UPDATE: 07-01-10

Camera was out for 4 weeks and took almost 3K pics. I did not pull the card this time (a buddy did) but I know it was not dead because I had pictures of them going to turn off the camera last Saturday. The picture quality is very good during the day and average at night for the simple fact that the IR simply doesn't have quite enough power. Anything past 25' or so is very hard to see any detail on. Overall though I'd give this little camera a 9 out of a possible 10 on score.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 07/02/10 04:38 AM

how mant empty pics? BTC is known for that and I hate it

Posted By: TXHogSlayer72

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 07/02/10 06:48 PM

I had a Stealth I-450. The pictures were great when it worked. I hooked up a 12V battery for the first few months, but then i had a problem with the battery port on the camera not working. I tested the battery and it was good and my cable was good. Tried to get customer service to help me and couldn't even get anyone on the phone. I decided to put batteries in it and this worked for awhile. It ate batteries. 6-C batteries every 2 weeks is not cost effective. Finally, it got knocked off a tree and stepped on by a cow. Doesn't work at all now. Stealth Cam customer service is a joke. After multiple attempts i never could get a real person to talk to. I won't buy another Stealth Cam.

I am looking at buying another camera. I've heard good and bad things about Moultries and Bushnells. Can't decide. I'm concerned about the nighttime pics on the Bushnell. Any recommendations?

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 07/07/10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
how mant empty pics? BTC is known for that and I hate it

Probably about 5% or so. Not nearly as bad as the number of 'empty pics' that I've been getting from my Moultrie

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 09/13/10 04:16 PM

UPDATE 09-13-10

Went to the lease last weekend for the 1st time in 3 months! Bushnell had 2,400+ pics on it and the batteries were dead. It lasted almost exactly 2 months on the 8 AA batteries. Daytime pictures were very good, nightime are a little dark when animals are more then 20' out. Battery life is still excellent and there were only about 5 pictures where there was nothing in the photo.

I've heard that the newest Bushnell trophy cam have like 6 or 8 more LEDs to add more light to night time pics. If so, this is the ony place that I can see for improvement of this camera. IMO, this is a great little camera for the money.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 09/18/10 12:02 AM

I ordered one today from Amazon. Supposed to be here Thursday. We are planning our first trip to the new lease in Sonora and plan on setting up some feeders. I'm planning on putting it out and see how it does. I've got two buddies that bought them this year and have had great luck with them. They've sent me some pictures and they look very good. One guy hunts Rocksprings and only changed his batteries out one time during the middle of deer season so he got several thousand pics from two sets from Sept through January.

Do any of you guys have one or have any input on them?

Make sure you use a San Disc brand sd card not an off brand. Mine would not work with a cheapo I bought from Ebay and I called them. The units were designed around the San Disc because it is the best card it is hit or miss with off brands. Changed the card and it works like a champ. Night or day.

Posted By: Texmel

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 10/17/11 02:30 PM

Bought 3 Bushnell Trophy cameras from Cabelas. Daytime photos are fine but the dusk/dawn and nighttime photos are worthless. I tried all types of adjustments but photos not useable other than daytime. Returned one to Cabelas within their return timeframe, but other two will have to work with Bushnell for some resolution. Gone back to my Moultrie D40s and picked up 2 Wildgame N2 cameras from Wal-Mart for $57 bucks and they do just fine with dusk/dawn and IR nite photos. Should have believed review/evaluation on chasinggame.com!!

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 10/31/11 02:47 PM

Ive Had 2 Cuddeback Capture's for 3yrs and still taking great pics... Owned 8 Moultrie cams and they all sucked !!! The cold weather kills there liquid crystal screen and all We get were cloudy or black pics.

Re: BUSHNELL TROPHY CAM - 10/31/11 08:54 PM

Buy anything but a Trophy CAM and you will be happiER if not happy.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum