Texas Hunting Forum

Tumbling gun parts?

Posted By: GuidedHunter

Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 05:20 AM

I am considering buying a tumbler built to clean brass with some dry media to help me get carbon off of gun parts. For example a spring out of a suppressor or a really dirty bolt, anything with thick build up of carbon on it. I plan to reload someday so I figured if I went ahead and bought the tumbler for a different use I might as well.

However, I have never really used a bullet tumbler. It seems to me that gun parts are generally harder than brass so I doubt it would hurt the parts but I am not 100% on that either.

Have any of y’all done this? What type of tumbler and media would you recommend?

Or is this a stupid idea that’s not worth pursuing?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 12:18 PM

You would have to totally disassemble a bolt prior to tumbling.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 02:03 PM

I think a solvent would be a better solution.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 02:18 PM

Ultrasonic cleaner is what you want.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 02:19 PM

We have a large sonic cleaner (maybe at work) that does a great job on gun parts. A regular size one will do the job just fine. Look to harbor freight or similar. The one designated for brass are no better just more expensive.

It does not polish like a tumbler does, but it will also not harm the finish like a tumbler may.

Very dirty muzzle brakes look new in 16 minutes.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cast

Yep, this is good advice.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 03:59 PM

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz

Agree
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/24/20 10:35 PM

+89 for the ultrasonic cleaner.
Posted By: GuidedHunter

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/26/20 06:05 AM

I guess the win goes to the ultrasonic cleaner. For those that have used sonic cleaners, Do you find that it will knock off the carbon that is caked on ? Every time I look into the sonic stuff on you tube. It seems like what is is mostly doing is attacking the oil and grime that can be usually just wiped off with a cloth.

I’ll take a look at harbor freight. I just get tired of soaking gun parts in solvents and then having to scrape the build up off even after the soak.

Really appreciate the advice.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Tumbling gun parts? - 02/26/20 11:27 AM

It definitely knocks off the carbon build up. That’s why I referenced a muzzle brake. They can get dirty enough to close off the ports and reduce effectiveness and accuracy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum