Texas Hunting Forum

How do you store your brass?

Posted By: mikei

How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 02:38 AM

I reload for over 20 calibers, both pistol and rifle. Managing/storing my brass has become a real issue. I have it in zip-lok bags, plastic storage containers, old coffee containers, shoe boxes and cottage cheese containers! What do all you folks do to control and manage your brass in some orderly fashion? I want to grab it by caliber, primer size, number of times reloaded, and "ready to reload." Chad, since you're a professional and reloading a lot more than 20 calibers, I would be particularly interested in what methods you use, because you have got to have thousands of pieces of brass clanging around in your production shop!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 02:52 AM

MTM Case Guard boxes, with the real hinge.

I buy new brass, I buy new boxes. The brass lives in those boxes as long as the brass is in service. Keeps the weather out, keeps the brass organized, provides a place for an outside label as well as a reloaders label inside.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 02:55 AM

5 gallon buckets under the loading bench.
Posted By: Judd

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 03:05 AM

Glad tubs or big ziploc bags.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 12:05 PM

MTM case boxes, 50ct and 100ct, and Ammo cans. I also use the clear totes with the lids that have clasps on the ends to lock down for large amounts of brass storage.
MTM has a wide variety of ammo storage boxes. More than just the green, red and clear that you see at your local gun shop. check out their website.

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 12:39 PM

Thanks, folks! I appreciate the ideas and will start getting after 'em!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 02:07 PM

My issue is keeping MY brass separate from range brass I pickup , it all seems to blend together despite my attempt (weak at best) in keeping them separated .....

After it all goes in the wet tumbler I can’t tell them apart and wet tumbling 24 cases of MY brass versus 125 of range brass just doesn’t seem efficient.

I need a clone in life
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 03:04 PM

For me, it depends on the caliber and who's it is. If it's my personal brass, I keep them in old blue Lapua boxes and 100 count ammo boxes. If it's customer brass, I keep them in small buckets (Berger bullets 1000 count), baggies, and small boxes labeled up. Most of the brass I have is new, so those stay in the bulk OEM boxes, generally a few thousand in each and labeled. ZipLock baggies helps because you can write on the bag and keep brass separated, if needed.

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
For me, it depends on the caliber and who's it is. If it's my personal brass, I keep them in old blue Lapua boxes and 100 count ammo boxes. If it's customer brass, I keep them in small buckets (Berger bullets 1000 count), baggies, and small boxes labeled up. Most of the brass I have is new, so those stay in the bulk OEM boxes, generally a few thousand in each and labeled. ZipLock baggies helps because you can write on the bag and keep brass separated, if needed.

Thanks, Chad!
Posted By: papa45

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/14/20 04:02 PM

Ziplock bags, sorted by number of times fired, with a status-of-brass checklist inside.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/17/20 12:47 AM

1&5lb coffee cans. Getting harder to come by good coffee cans anymore, but even some of the plastic jugs have their uses. I cycle through all my brass before processing it, so no worries about times-fired. So for a given gun/caliber I have two kinds of brass, fired, and ready to load. Loaded rounds are in ammo boxes or vacuum sealed bags.

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/17/20 02:03 AM

Thanks again, everybody! I'll be pickin' and choosin' from all your suggestions.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/17/20 06:36 AM

I keep clean, prepped / annealed brass inside 100 count ammo boxes with a detailed list of what brass prep was completed, and ziplock baggies with a note inside stating type of caliber, how many times fired for fired brass.
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/18/20 03:31 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diablodog

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/18/20 02:01 PM

It would be easy like the photo above where a guy only does about 20 or so different cartridges , nice and neat and not taking up much space . I load for over 200 different cartridges , so it takes many cabinets to hold about 100 k cases in sealable plastic containers . The 1200 boxes of different bullets are much harder to store because of the weight . The50 k loaded rounds are even harder .Luckily a good friend is a cabinet maker .
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/18/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bayharbor
[Linked Image]

I have a pretty sweet setup in my shop inside my house so I rarely get jealous. Nice setup. I wish i had that much desk/bench space.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: How do you store your brass? - 02/18/20 07:53 PM

I get these at Walmart and glue a white piece of paper on the side with a glue stick.
Mainstatys 2-qt Cannister
Posted By: cm250

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/01/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by papa45
Ziplock bags, sorted by number of times fired, with a status-of-brass checklist inside.

X’s 2.
Posted By: mreed

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/01/20 06:57 PM

[Linked Image]

I use these, they’re $1 a piece at dollar tree, they have latches to keep them closed and they stack well

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/02/20 12:36 PM

I like 'em, mreed; and the price is right!
Posted By: DF2

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/02/20 01:42 PM

I consume my fair share of applesauce from plastic bottles.
Cleaned out, these make great free brass and live ammo
storage containers.
I'm cheap!!
Posted By: whitedawg

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/18/20 02:38 AM

H-E-B plastic storage containers normally 3-4 for $1.77. Invested in label maker to keep everything organized
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: How do you store your brass? - 03/19/20 10:56 AM

Coffee cans, masking tape, and a sharpie.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum