Texas Hunting Forum

9mm for hogs

Posted By: CATZILLA

9mm for hogs - 11/20/05 01:20 PM

I HAVE A 9MM SEMI AUTO. RIFLE. IT'S HAS A 2 IN GROUP AT 50 YDS. I'M WANTING TO TAKE IT PIG HUNTING. WHAT WOULD BE THE ROUNDS TO BUY. I CAN GET SHOTS UNDER 25 YDS.

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: 9mm for hogs - 11/27/05 12:13 PM

I've killed hogs with cheap Wolf hardball ammo from a 9mm glock 17 before. I've killed a deer with the same round and same gun before with one shot through the heart. It took about 8 rounds for the hog. Next time I'll make them all head shots

I'd just use hardballs for penetration. They will still mushroom and most of my shots passed through. In a rifle you will get allot more velocity so maybe you could use hollow points. I reload so I mainly use hornady xtp's. Wolf ammo is so cheap it's not even worth reloading hardball anymore. I dont know if you can buy xtp's loaded up.

Federal Hydrashocks are good and so are Remington Golden Sabres. Golder Sabre's are very accurate out of my glock and sig. I dont know how accurate they would be shot through your rifle. 9mm is cheap, buy a bunch and practise.

Posted By: heeeerod

Re: 9mm for hogs - 11/27/05 03:12 PM

Oddly enough I'm with Jeff on this one...lol. If I was going to hog hunt with a 9mm rifle I'd use hardball. I've never killed one with a 9mm, but I've shot plenty with my 45 and every one of them but 2 was with hardball...the other 2 were killed with 230g Hydra-Shocks. I left my carry clip in that morning by mistake...lol. Only problems I've seen with folks using the 9mms were that it usually took more than one shot to do the deed. No matter what they were shooting...aim well...and don't wait till one gets too close...lol.

I like the Wolf stuff too...it is cheap and I've never had it act bad on me. I had a gunsmith tell me one time that it was too hot...but I've never seen it be a problem. I've also shot some of that CCI Blazer ammo and I like it. I buy the steel case stuf becasue it is cheaper and I'm not worried about reloading it anyway. You might give that a try too and see what shoots the best....Good Luck!!!

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: 9mm for hogs - 11/27/05 10:49 PM

I'll tell you something funny here. We where skinning a 300+ lb russian hog down in Newton Texas a buddy of mine killed. We found an old hardball .45 round stuck in its skull right between the eyes. I have no idea how long it had been there, or how far the person was when they shot the hog with it. It may have even been a hot squib load. Either way Hogs are pretty tough. I've had arrows bounce off the sides of their armor plating on the sides. I've since swithed bows and broadheads and shoot a Mathews Zmax and dont have that problem anymore.

The two hogs I killed with the 9mm where at about 20 yards. I emptied my gun into them and had one about 5 feet from me when he finally slid to a stop. Thank god for high capacity mags.

I wonder what kind of Rifle this CATZILLA person is using. I hope you are hunting up in a stand or have a rifle that will allow high cap mags. I know there is one that accepts glock mags. I'd go buy the 30 round clip and load it up with 25 shells...(never could get it to work right with 30 rounds,,, after my hog incident I went and bought one)if you are hunting on the ground.

If you ARE doing this on the ground I'd say you have some serious thrill issues you might want to get some help on.

Posted By: dwoftx

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 01:51 PM

I can agree with the using of harball. We know a rancher that traps hogs and called us to take them out. I tried my 9 mm carry rounds that are Corbon +p hollow points behind the ear and they just get pissed off. This completely surprised me that it took 2 or 3 shots to drop them. Now I question my 9mm as a carry weapon. I was told that useing hardball and shooting at base of skull to sever the spinal cord is probably best and will try that the next time we go out there. I know they are only hogs but I still want to be humane.

Posted By: bigbill

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 05:45 PM

I have always thought the 9mm was all hiped up. Use a good old 45 acp for both, thats what it was made for.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 08:41 PM

Damn right, Bill...Well said.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 08:58 PM

Thought I would chime in here. I've killed hogs with a 223 wssm many times but rarely with one shot. Even when I screw one in the ear I will almost always have to give it a finishing shot. Shot a couple with a .357 and totally quit carrying it. I think it's awful important to know exactly how tough these animals are before you hunt them.

The lease guy that shot that 300 pounder last weekend, shot that hog three times in the head. The fist shot dropped her but she stood right back up. the next two shot she would run a little and stop after each shot. I said, "you missed again". We were at extremely close range. As he was going to put another round in her brain pan, she dropped and started kicking. It wasn't until we got back to camp that we could see three entry holes. Three shots to the head with a .308 and still standing. The big hogs are awful tough!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 11:00 PM

Thats why I love the 35 whelen and 45-70, the hogs hate them!!!!

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/01/05 11:21 PM

I'll second that motion, and include the 375 H&H to that list.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/02/05 12:25 AM

3 votes for the BIG BORES, !!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/02/05 04:15 AM

You two are right I just hate shooting anything that weighs more than the animal I'm shooting at!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/02/05 10:04 AM

Quote:

3 votes for the BIG BORES, !!!

I've drilled so many hogs with Painless(260) that is would be almost a crime to say how many I've killed on here...lol. Never lost one...and had very few run off, and yall know where I shootem. Bill...you and CH are howitzer freaks...lol. Hey...if either one of you run a cross a 35 Whelen in a 7600 would you let me know? I reeeeeeelly want one!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/02/05 12:51 PM

Heeerod WE feel your pain!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/02/05 01:11 PM

Don't know about bigbill, but I ain't a Howitzer freak, I just prefer the bigger calibers. Same as some folks preferring traditional recurves and longbows over compounds or sidelock percussion or flintlock muzzle-loaders over modern in-lines. As I have said else where, I would rather be guilty of caring too much gun than having something get away or eat me.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 12:36 AM

CHC....you are a howitzer freak...cmon...it is 2005, you can come out...it's OK....we still love ya man...lol. HEY! My Bud told me today that Remmy was making a special run of brand new 7600's in 35 Whelen...it may take me till summer to get it outta layaway...but I gotta get me one of those!!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 01:04 AM

WE about got you converted.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 02:55 AM

I think you would be better off with that Whelen in a bolt action. JMO

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 10:59 AM

O no doubt, CHC. I am an exclusive bolt action man. I just want something a little different is all. I can make no real case for wanting the pump except that. If I was asked my opinion of the two the bolt action would get my nod, hands down. It's the "Huh" factor I guess. I'm going to call and get a price on one today. There is a place near here that will let me put it on layaway as long as I need...lol.

Bill...you shut it...I'm not converting to howitzerism. I just want one...to...uuuummmmm...study...yeah...study...that's the ticket....

Posted By: CATZILLA

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 05:44 PM

SO I GUESS THAT A 9MM WILL TAKE OUT A HOG. I HAVE A RIFLE THAT HAS A 10 ROUND CLIP, THE RIFLE IS A SHORT SIMI-AUTO
CARB. I WORKED IN A HOG KILL PLANT YEARS AGO, WE USED A SEARS 22 RIFLE. 1 SHOT TO THE EAR, WITH A 22 SHORT. YES IT WAS ABOUT 5 FT. AWAY, BUT IT HAD NO PROBLEM .I HAVE ALSO USED A 22 LONGRIFLE OUT IN WEST TEX. ON WILD HOGS. ABOUT 25 YDS YOU CAN TAKE ONE DOWN WITH 1 SHOT IN FRONT OF THE EAR.THANKS CATZILLA

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/03/05 07:13 PM

You go boy!! I wish you the best of luck! I've killed over 250 wild hogs in the last 6 years and I wouldn't chunk a 9mm pistol or rifle at one...lol. They won't always let you shootem in the front of the ear.
I'm just pickin....if you place your shots well you shouldn't have a bit of trouble...just remember what you are shooting and where you are and you should be fine. Post some pics!!!

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/07/05 02:50 AM

You can kill a hog with a 9mm...but you're nuts to even bother if you ask me!! I've seen a few instances of wounded sows that were really pissed off and took several rounds to kill from way better than a wimpy 9!! Case in point-I've seen the divots in the skull from where my buddy shot a pig head-on with his .45 using hardball ammo. All those bullets did was gouge out skin and richochet to points unknown!

The point applies to all 'small for game' calibers. Yes, you can kill un-agitated game with the right shot, but I say why short-change yourself? From the pig hunting I've done, I'd feel WAY undergunned going afield with a 9mm, unless of course, you only shoot the little ones! Sure, 99% of pigs will run from you when shot, but they don't ALL do that, and I've seen it with my own eyes so I know how fast things can get exciting!

If the 9mm is all you have then I guess you're stuck, but my opinion is that you should buy something a little larger!!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/13/05 04:02 PM

Ive just got one question, have any of you people ever killed a hog. I know they can be tough animals, but all the stuff about 3 head shots with a .308 and still running around, and needing a .35 whelen, or 45-70, or .375 H&H is complete bull s***. I am not an advocate of doing everything with a small gun, I shoot a .270, but come on guys lets get real here, they are sweet little pink pigs not a damn sherman tank.

Thanks I just had to get that out.

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/13/05 06:22 PM

I hope one of those "sweet little pink pigs" dont corner you up close you with only a handy little 9mm.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/14/05 12:25 AM

Yall should really look at how ridiculous you sound, they are not what you make them out to be. We walk hunt them at night with a ity bity .22 lr, and have never had a problem, like I said it is nice to have something a little bigger, but from what yall say they must be wraped up in balistic nylon and have a hunger for man flesh like a lion or something like that. This is all I have to say, oh yeah and i hope one does corners me so I can experience the sabber toothed pig for myself.

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/14/05 02:26 AM

One of my lease hunters shot a hog three times in the head with a .308 from close range and it was still standing. Got that on video. Would have to see a hog shot and killed with a .22lr to believe it. Not saying your lying...just don't believe it!!

Here's the photo.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/14/05 04:59 AM

Quote:

I know they can be tough animals, but all the stuff about 3 head shots with a .308 and still running around, and needing a .35 whelen, or 45-70, or .375 H&H is complete bull s***.

I sure hope your not calling me a liar!!! I have video of that hog taking 3 shots in the head with a .308. If anything is bulls***, it's someone telling others that they can kill a hog with a .22lr or suggesting that someone even try!!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/14/05 12:35 PM

No i'm not calling you a liar, I just find it hard to believe just like you. I see it very posible and have also seen it happen, but not with a good shot, when you shoot their jaw or the end of their nose off it happens, but if you have a "good" head shot with anything biger than a .223 they should be DRT. Oh yeah and im not suggesting that i can kill hogs with a .22, i do and it works for me and i never said anything about others trying. Damn how did this post go from using a 9mm to kill a hog to this, I'm out of this and hope you have a good day.

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 12/14/05 03:09 PM

What do you mean how did it come to this? Are you serious?!? I took offense b/c you said my post was bulls***. Posted the quote! None of the three shots blew the nose off or whatever you were implying. Look at the picture.

You have a good day too.

Posted By: GaryA

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/06/06 04:16 PM

I helped a friend slaughter and butcher three 50lb hogs recently. I shot the first one between the eyes with a 22lr and he dropped and then got up and walked around like nothing happend.

I put the second shot into the side of his head between his eye and ear and he dropped.

Shot the other two in the side of the head and they went down as well.

I've also taken hogs with a 223 and they went down with one shot.

I have an AR-15 with a 9mm conversion and would not hesitate to take a hog with it using hard ball ammo within 50 yards but only if I could get a clean shot to the side of the head or a spine shot.

GaryA

223 Ar-15

Posted By: justin7-11

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/06/06 09:34 PM

In school they teach us head shots are unethical because it’s very hard to hit something vital in the head. It seems like head shots would be the way to go but I guess it's not. If you hit the brain and he stood then that is truly amazing. I guess that is why vital shots are so popular because eventually physics and biology will catch up. I don't know why anybody would shoot a hog with a .22 rim fire anyways??? I once shot a 250lber in my favorite spot (right behind the ear) and I went and got the truck and when I got back a few minutes latter he was trying to get up. Another time I shot one in the @$$ with a 300wsm and a few weeks latter I saw him again and finished him off. His hindquarter was the most awful thing I have ever smelt or seen but he lived for a few weeks after a hit with a .30 caliber.

Posted By: GaryA

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/07/06 01:14 PM

justin7-11,

Please re-read my post. I was not hunting with a 22lr, I was killing 3 penned hogs to butcher and we used a 22 so as not to disturb the neighbors.

The point about the 22 is that a frontal head shot did not penetrate where the side head shots did.

Shot placement is the most important factor regardless of caliber used.

Why would you shoot a hog in the @$$ then let him suffer for a few weeks?

Posted By: Skybuster05

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/10/06 07:30 PM

behind the ear in a pen a 22 will work on smaller hogs. I have done this several times. But 3 weeks ago I hit a approx 450 or bigger with my 7 mag. Flipped him, he kicked and screamed for about a 10 sec then jumped up and ran off. tracked him about a mile with dogs and found him hung up in wire. Seems he still had enough to run away but not enough to bust fences. Anyway it's all a crap shoot when hog hunting. Some bite back some run and hide. That what makes hunting on foot at night fun. IMO

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/10/06 08:02 PM

Quote:

Anyway it's all a crap shoot when hog hunting. Some bite back some run and hide. That what makes hunting on foot at night fun. IMO

That's right!!

Posted By: BuckMark

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/11/06 08:43 PM

Goin' hog huntin' this weekend. My buddy and I are taking a 30-30 and a .30 caliber M1. We are hoping that will do the job. He killed one a few years back that weighed about 250-275 with his 7MM. Dropped it in it's tracks. I would hate to be out there with just a .22. Especially my single shot! NO THANKS!

Posted By: redraider99

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/11/06 08:46 PM

I am going hog hunting this weekend and I am taking a M-1 carbine. I am shooting a FMJ at 110 grain. I know that shot placement is important but can a heart/lung shot do the trick. I shot one two years ago with a 7mm and fell where I shot him. Now that I am using a smaller cal. will it do the trick without having to chase him for a week? (buckmark) you stole my post. How funny that we posted the same thing at the same time.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/13/06 04:42 PM

The m1 carbine has worked great for us in the past, it is a fast handling and shooting gun, and packs enough punch, however I would go with the soft points, not the full meatal jacket bullets, FMJ has no expansion, and therefore makes a poor hunting bullet.

matt

Posted By: redraider99

Re: 9mm for hogs - 01/17/06 12:30 AM

Redchevy,
Thanks for the advice, but I read your comment just a little too late. Just got back yesterday. The M1 did work great;I used FMJs. I will remember the soft points for next time. The only problem that I had was that I could not use the peep sight. We walked up on them just as it was dark, and I could not see through the peep site. So I had to point and shoot. I will post the story and pics in the photo section in the next couple of days (unless Buckmark beats me to the punch)(Hunting buddy that I went with).

Posted By: RonKaye

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/07/06 11:14 PM

I'm not in a position to doubt anybody's word here, so I'm not. But I've hunted enough hogs that when somebody says they regularly do it with a .22, the words "death wish" come to mind. I've come closer to getting messed up than I ever want to, even after putting 2 rounds from a 30-30 in the right place.

Accidentally shot a little dog with a 9mm about 30 years ago (trying to scare a pack away from my breeding bitch, who was in heat... aimed into the trees over the pack, and my WWII era P38 shot about 7 feet low) - bullet passed right through without hitting anything critical, and the dog survived with only a limp to show for it. Got rid of the gun... it almost paid for the stray's vet bill. So much for killing power.

Granted, I killed my first deer many years ago with a Ruger .22 pistol, but I darn sure wouldn't call it a deer gun.

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/22/06 05:14 PM

Yep pigs probably wont attack ya and can be killed with a 22 or 17 etc. I did have one big sow run at me. Not sure if she was attacking or just running when we jumped them. She was snapping her jaws. She took 4 shots of 00 buck to the head area before she finally died. There was buck shot in her toung and coming out the mouth from me shooting down on her as she was coming. Probably no more than 10 ft when it all started.
I mainly use slugs now. Shotgun only area and I dont have confidence in buck shot at anything over 25 yds.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/22/06 08:14 PM

I know a 22 isnt a great choice, and if I am going hunting for hogs I will always go for something bigger, with that said we do alot of coon hunting, and see alot of hogs in the process, thus we shoot hogs with a 22. We have never had any of them get away, we have never killed more than one at a time with it but it does work. Since then we have started to pack two guns, the 22 and a deer rifle, and a 45 colt just incase we need to finish one off not because we are scared of them attaking us(have never come close to needing to use the 45)

matt

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 02:05 AM

Redchevy: There is nothing like experience! You haven't experienced it yet, but there will come a day or night, if you do it long enough, that you will eventually change your mind, and run into one of those Sherman tanks! Always expect the unexpected, and being prepared is just wise!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 02:41 AM

GOOD advise there Jimbo!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 02:50 PM

I think I am pretty experienced, and if I still have something to learn it isnt going to be from the people who think I need to carry an anti aircraft gun along with me to kill a pig. No we havent killed any monster hogzillas, but up to about 250 dressed, most of them have been shot with a 222, or a 22 hornet, not by us but by the owners of the property, and they were all one shot kills, Again I am not saying these are the guns of choice, but they work. yall need to step back and look at how experienced you think you are and actualy put the bullet were it counts because if you do they die. Man I was really hoping this post would die, this forum is suposed to be a friendly and fun place, but some know it alls just cant leave well enough alone.

matt

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 05:41 PM

Hey redchevy this thread hasn't even reached 4 or 5 pages yet, not all of the know-it-alls have spoke up yet. These one here looks to be still friendly, do you think the black panther topic is ever going the die, I DOUBT IT.

Posted By: ak4blkbear

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 08:43 PM

Quote:

I DOUGHT IT.

Okay Dgilbert, are we warming up the oven for a little bread or what? Bet I know what HuskerSanta's getting you for Christmas.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/24/06 09:06 PM

Got me on that one.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/26/06 06:54 PM

I just caught up on this post after quite some time of not looking.

My observation is that Redchevy is the one causing the trouble here. Just because you've had lots of experience with .22 caliber does NOT mean that the others that think it's not appropriate have no experience killing hogs! You haven't apparently hunted ENOUGH to see it when the 'wheels fall off'! When you get there you'll see what we're all talking about. Till then you need to chill out and quit making all the insinuations about people like TxCornhusker and folks that HAVE put in plenty of time hunting the very critters we're discussing!

A friendly forum... You need to remember that when you make the type of statements that you've made, people are gonna get riled!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/26/06 07:01 PM

Are you talking to me or redchevy.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/26/06 07:04 PM

I think if you look I replied to redchevy, not cornhusker.

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 02:40 AM

Sorry-I'm referring to RedChevy..

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 06:53 AM

I'm not questioning their experience, I just find some of their tall tales hard to believe, I still dont and never will believe it takes the kind of firepower they say it does to kill a hog, I have done it with less reliably. The coments on shooting pigs with a 22 isnt directed at 300 pounders at 300 yards it is smaller hogs at under 80 yards. Yes Pyledriver I have been hunting "engough", and we have a a wheel or two come off, but nothing to get excited about, and nothing that wasnt handled. I didnt question their ability, I question their story, you dont know me dont question mine.

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 03:13 PM

Well, you don't know me so don't question MINE!!

A lot of guys on here DO KNOW ME and know what kind of individual I am. Have also hunted with me a lot. You can question whatever you want but reality is that your the only one in question here. Loosing credibility fast!!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 03:54 PM

I never questioned your hunting ability, and dont doubt, I did however question your story telling ability, because we all know all stories get thrown out of wack.

I couldnt care less about what you think of my credibility as a hunter, I get buy more than just fine by myself, and there is most definately more than one way to skin a cat.

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 07:53 PM

Quote:

one way to skin a cat.

You ought to stop eating those critters. Either that or we will change your username to RedHonda!!

Posted By: forthebirds

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 08:05 PM

there is only one way to skin a black panther tch

Re: 9mm for hogs - 02/27/06 08:19 PM

Yeah thatl be the day, and yours will be txcoc*sucker

just funin

matt

Re: 9mm for hogs - 03/01/06 03:10 AM

Matt/Redchevy, my concern is that someone inexperienced and reading some of these posts would get the idea that they could head out with the trusty ol' 10-22. I'll definitely agree that you don't need massive firepower to put a hog down, but it was just the tone of some of your posts that got under my skin-and others I think. I think you could've made your point a little differently and nobody would have had any raised eyebrows!

In my experience, I ended up going the massive firepower route since a lot of my hunting is in the thick stuff, muddy most of the time, and I want maximum power to even things out! Not only that, I've run afoul of aggressive pigs a couple times-and I only needed to see that once to make my decisions. If I was hunting a feeder with a short, clear shot, I'd be plenty comfortable with something smaller...but I wouldn't take that with me if any tracking was involved!

Re: 9mm for hogs - 03/01/06 03:18 AM

I agree with everything you said, but to me what raised the eye-brow was all the talk of toting canons around and shooting them up. To me when people say things like that it makes it sound like they are just shooting them up for fun, and that tends to rile me a little... no alot.

matt

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: 9mm for hogs - 08/12/09 04:34 PM

how did this 3 1/2 year old thread get here?

Posted By: West Fork Armory

Re: 9mm for hogs - 08/12/09 07:08 PM

Lol, I was still in Iraq when this thing was written.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum