Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady 6.5CM brass case life

Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 12:19 PM

To those running the CM in bolt guns, how many reloadings are you typically getting?? I've read some guys are getting loose primer pockets at 5 or so...
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 02:47 PM

Anton,
I got double that from my first 50 pieces but I was just playing around with multiple powders and bullets so some were warm others were mild loads. Hornady 6.5CM brass is pretty decent stuff IMO. I did anneal mine three times and loaded it three/four times in between. No split necks but now primers are very loose in about half of them.
I picked up 100 pieces of the new Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor(Norma stuff) and just randomly weighed 10 cases and they were amazingly consistent..IIRC all weighed the same except two and they varied less than .5gr. On the other hand the Hornady varied almost 3.0 gr's
I run a AR10 Creedmoor so I will save the Nosler for a special occassion. cool
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Anton,
I got double that from my first 50 pieces but I was just playing around with multiple powders and bullets so some were warm others were mild loads. Hornady 6.5CM brass is pretty decent stuff IMO. I did anneal mine three times and loaded it three/four times in between. No split necks but now primers are very loose in about half of them.
I picked up 100 pieces of the new Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor(Norma stuff) and just randomly weighed 10 cases and they were amazingly consistent..IIRC all weighed the same except two and they varied less than .5gr. On the other hand the Hornady varied almost 3.0 gr's
I run a AR10 Creedmoor so I will save the Nosler for a special occassion. cool

I haven't had any problems with mine but I'm only in my second round with mine. As for loose primers I'm curious what primers you are using? I've found that the Win primers have been a little loose but the CCI primers are still pretty tight in the hornady brass from the factory ammo I've used to reload for my AR.

D, what kind of 6.5 CM AR do you have?

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 03:07 PM

I should clarify. Whilst I waited impatiently for my AR to be done I bought a Ruger VT in Creedmoor and ran it for one season just to play around with the cartridge and then sold it once the R25 Remington "Special" arrived. But I have also loaded 6.5 Creedmoor for a Horizon semi-custom Remington Model Seven that a close friend had built so those first 50 pieces of brass were used in 3 guns all FL sized.

Deerhunter61 my AR is just a R25 Remington that started its life as a 243 Winchester but Mike Milli at Dedicated Technology worked his magic and now it's a 6.5 Creedmoor. Sadly it will out-shoot its owner.

Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 05:01 PM

How long is the barrel on your 6.5cm gas gun David? How'd that ruger shoot?

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/25/14 07:50 PM

Ruger shot very well.
Its has a 24 inch barrel
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/26/14 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I should clarify. Whilst I waited impatiently for my AR to be done I bought a Ruger VT in Creedmoor and ran it for one season just to play around with the cartridge and then sold it once the R25 Remington "Special" arrived. But I have also loaded 6.5 Creedmoor for a Horizon semi-custom Remington Model Seven that a close friend had built so those first 50 pieces of brass were used in 3 guns all FL sized.

Deerhunter61 my AR is just a R25 Remington that started its life as a 243 Winchester but Mike Milli at Dedicated Technology worked his magic and now it's a 6.5 Creedmoor. Sadly it will out-shoot its owner.

D, most of them will! So is it you hunting rig? Plinking? Pic would be nice!
Posted By: 300 ultra

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/28/14 06:30 PM

I am have been running these in my creed more already seeing the line about .25 from the head I had one case separate after 3 fire rings . might start looking at nosler or WIn brass . I do not anneal
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: Hornady 6.5CM brass case life - 10/29/14 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: 300 ultra
I am have been running these in my creed more already seeing the line about .25 from the head I had one case separate after 3 fire rings . might start looking at nosler or WIn brass . I do not anneal

Youre having case head seperation because youre most likely oversizing/over working your brass. Measure your fired brass from base to datum line and set your dies up to only bump 1-3 thou. The win brass IS hornady brass...same thing. The nosler brass is nice no doubt but the primer pockets will loosen at the same rate of hornady. Had a batch of 50 that I ran and trashed most of them after 6 firings. Was running 42.6 h4350 pushing a 136l scenar
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum