Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo

Posted By: Erny

Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 02:41 AM

I was planning a Cape Buffalo hunt this year. I'll be using a 375 H&H. Anyone have any experience on the choice of bullets? I was thinking about using Hornadys 300 grain DGX for the first shot followed up by DGSs. Any input would be appreciated.

Posted By: dee

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 12:28 PM

Talk to your ph some prefer all solids some prefer expanding followed by solids.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 03:54 PM

The DGX has a spotty reputation. Use what your PH recommends or read some of the (thousands) threads on the Accurate Reloading board.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 05:37 PM

What about something like Barnes TSX?

Would seem to me that is what those bullets were intended for.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 06:27 PM

I have shot the Barnes TSX and Solid over there and have had great results. shot elephant and buffalo with them and the bullets were perfect.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 06:59 PM

When I taled to the PH at the DSI show I told him I planned on using the Hornady dgx. He said that would be fine. The reason I am asking on here is too get a second opinion. I have seen some bad reviews and good for the Hornady, and kinda wanted some of your guys experience. There are a lot of choices out there in 375 for dangerous game.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 07:48 PM

The ammo I have loaded for dangerous game have mainly been the Barnes TSX or solids, and some Woodleigh and Cutting Edge. The Woodleigh's work very well, and hold together very well. I loaded a bunch of Woodleigh's in a 450/400 NE and he shot a lot of animals with it, and he loved the bullets. They were 50/50 on the solids and expanding soft points. Since the 375 is kind of the minimum caliber, I'd go with a premium bullet, like a Barnes TSX or solid, or both if you can. The Cutting Edge bullets are also a very good one that will expand and hold together very well in a 375.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/03/14 08:46 PM

Again I have zero dangerous game experience, but another bullet I would keep in mind is a swift A-frame. They are pricey though.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/04/14 06:00 AM

If I were going with a 375 it would be loaded with Woodleigh unless could find some of the original trophy bonded bear claw bullets before the construction was changed from Jack Carters original design. Actually talked to a PH today that agreed with that and he uses Woodleigh in his 500Nitro for the backup on elephant/buffalo gun.
Posted By: Pacontender

Re: Hornady DGX for Cape Buffalo - 02/18/14 11:49 PM

Barnes TSX or Swift A-frames. Woodleighs are ok, but don't hold up as well as the Barnes. My wife shoots a 375 with 300 grain barnes when we hunt Africa and has had great results. I do not like the Hornady DGX in the 375.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum