Texas Hunting Forum

Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo?

Posted By: vanndchi

Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 02:36 PM

I have a box of Hornady Light Mag .270 130. Box is probably 10 years old. I can still hear powder shaking in it. Is it safe to use, or does ammo expire. I have heard it does?

Thanks in advance...
Posted By: toolman

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 02:39 PM

As long as it has been stored properly, ie: not bouncing around the toolbox of your truck, it will be fine. I've fired military surplus ammo as old as 1933 and it shot great.

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 02:41 PM

No, still in the orignal box. I have 20 left, and wanted to use it. Any opinion on the difference on the ballistic tipped interlock versus a fusion 130 grain bullet?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 02:44 PM

It should be fine, but you will need to re-sight/check the sight on your gun. Just being the same cal and grain weight doesn't mean it shoots the same.

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 02:46 PM

Right, I'll need to zero in. I guess on a Hill Country deer, both will put down a mature buck. The fusion have been good to me, but I don't want to waste a box of shells. I have killed lots with both.

Thanks fellas! Good luck hunting this year!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 03:20 PM

Sure they will do more than fine on any whitetail with good shot placement.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/07/13 05:29 PM

I had some 270 Light Mag ammo give to me couple years ago...yes it'll still go off OK...it is LOUD and has more recoil than other premium grade ammo, and hit a bit higher at 100 yards on paper than the Fed Prem SGK's & Blue Box Grand Slams I was sighted in for. I need to burn 'em up along with the other leftover factory tidbits that are getting a little long in the tooth.
Best factory ammo I ever shot in a 270 was some Norma 130's that I bought 30+ years ago...and still hits exactly where I expect it too, been saving the last 4 rounds out of a box I bought in the early 1980's for a "special critter" after seeing the whooparse these old Norma's put on a 140lb cull WTail buck.
Ron
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Older .270 Win Hornady Light Mag Ammo? - 10/08/13 01:32 AM

I just took a Sika buck with some 165 grain Federal Premiums that were about 30 yrs old. They worked fine on the deer and shot a 3/4 inch group (3shots). I had shot two shots about 1/2 inch left touching I moved it 1/2 in right shot two touching ant then 1 a 1/2 inch right. The five shot group was still 1 inch.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum