Texas Hunting Forum

Powder Scale Suggestions

Posted By: mikebass78

Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 03:40 PM

Can anyone throw a few out there, model numbers would help as well. Just looking for something not too expensive that has been proven to work well.

I need the extra tools as well , as seen here...

http://www.amazon.com/SmartReloader-Extr...ds=powder+scale

But they said thats scales trash, so if anyone has bought a similar package to that, would be helpful as well.
Posted By: mike0513

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 04:20 PM

I got the gem pro 250 by my wiegh. Measures to 2/1000. Worth every penny.
Posted By: bcranch

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 04:29 PM

Are you looking for a balance or a digital? I have a Lee balance scale that works great, I use it to comfirm loads and it shows changes at the single grain of powder level. I just got (Merry Christmas)a Hornady lock n load digital scale and have been happy with it so far, it shows changes slower but seems to work well so far.

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 04:55 PM

digital...But..balance would be acceptable, seeing as how I'm just getting started, How much, and shipping to 75070?

Thanks

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 05:12 PM

Those two were just a suggestion, honestly the prices that you can get from Midway, Natchez, or Ebay are pretty good. One thing to look out for on the balance is how the you set the scale. One of the frustrations with the Lee scale is that the 1gr and 1/10gr setting is prone to movement and has to be reset. If you are not doing a lot of volume I would just find a balance and call it good. Midway has the Lee scales for $23.99. The RCBS and Lyman are more expensive.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 06:40 PM

I have had an Ohaus 10-10 beam scale (now it's the RCBS 10-10 I believe) for 25 years (got it from my dad, and he had it for a LONG time before I did.).

It is VERY accurate and consistent. As of late, I've been using a Hornady Lock n Load digital. It's been ok so far, but my Ohaus is what I always fall back on.
Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 08:08 PM

I have two Beam Scales. One RCBS and a Dillon.

I don't like Digital.....

But I am considering an RCBS.

I'm just old school I guess.
Posted By: no catch

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 09:48 PM

I have 2 10-10's, 1 5-10, RCBS digital, and a Gem Pro 250. I usually use the Gem Pro.
Posted By: toolman

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 10:24 PM

The best for the money that I know of, is the Dillon Eliminator. Easy adjustment, very quick to stabilize, and easy to read.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p...tor__039__Scale

I also have a cheapo digital that I use for quick stuff, but it's a little flaky at times.
Posted By: 12Savage

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 11:06 PM

+1 for the RCBS 10-10
Posted By: littlebass

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/02/13 11:34 PM

The Hornady Lock n Load digital has been worth every cent. Keep a cheap beam scale around just in case.
Posted By: killen

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/03/13 12:50 AM

redding
Posted By: donswin

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/03/13 01:16 AM

A balance scale takes a little longer to fine tune your load but they are accurate.

I use Pact scale. The only time it lets me down is when the battery dies.

You probably will end up with one of each.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/03/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bcranch
One of the frustrations with the Lee scale is that the 1gr and 1/10gr setting is prone to movement and has to be reset.

I use a Lee and have noticed the same thing. A little bit of bearing grease - the red marine sticky stuff works best - on slide part helps keep it in place. Just make sure to recalibrate to zero.

The Lee scale has worked fine as far as I can tell. I have been watching for a better one though.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/03/13 04:23 PM

The scales that are a part of the Hornady and RCBS dispensers are both pretty good. They are fast---they have to be for the dispenser to work. I think the RCBS scale is a little better than the Hornady. I suspect it's a difference in software.

I have an old PACT DPPS I bought nearly twenty years ago and it's very reliable, but it's a LOT slower than the ones they're putting in dispensers.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/03/13 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
The scales that are a part of the Hornady and RCBS dispensers are both pretty good. They are fast---they have to be for the dispenser to work. I think the RCBS scale is a little better than the Hornady. I suspect it's a difference in software.

I have an old PACT DPPS I bought nearly twenty years ago and it's very reliable, but it's a LOT slower than the ones they're putting in dispensers.

We tried comparing the Hornady and RCBS recently, the RCBS was a little more accurate on the powder drops than the Hornady. Not enough though that I am selling the Hornady to buy a RCBS.

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/04/13 01:26 AM

Chalet, thanks for the tip on the Lee scale. I really like it other than that. I often reload with my son and if he is seating a bullet while I am trying to measure a charge I get all screwed up.
Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/05/13 12:25 AM

Ainsworth use to make a very good scale. I've had mine for about 20 years
Posted By: fishsing

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/05/13 04:28 AM

I'll second the PACT digital. Got one ten tears ago and will NEVER go back to a balance beam.

Everytime someone asks me about getting into reloading, I tell them to get a digital scale no matter what else they get.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/05/13 05:57 PM

If I was in the market for a digital scale right now, I'd seriously consider this one.
Posted By: Hunter80

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/05/13 06:13 PM

I like the idea of the electronic scales but I think I'll give the RCBS 5-0-5 a try because it comes in the kit. I understand a lot of people like to have a balance beam scale as a backup anyway

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 01/14/13 03:24 AM

Mods lock. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: shaymac

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/09/13 09:21 AM

order a tuned redding 505 from scott parker..... ONLY WAY TO GO
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/11/13 11:52 AM

I use RCBS balance beam scales when loading 50 or less or working load development. But after I use a Lyman elec scale and powder trickler for larger
Amounts. It was a little over $200, and only drawback I've had is a 30 min warmup time.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/11/13 04:34 PM

I've got the Lyman 1200 DPS3 that throws and trickles and I will NEVER go back to an old fashioned beam scale. The Lyman is fast. While I'm seating a bullet in a case, the Lyman will have the next powder charge thrown and ready for me. Fast. Accurate. Easy.

So let's say you're working up loads for a new rifle. You want to try another half grain of powder. No adjustments required, other than you just input the new load you want.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/13/13 08:38 PM

+1 for the Lyman 1200.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/14/13 11:58 AM

I think just about all of the balance beams are made by OHAUS. I have an ancient Lyman(Ohaus) and the RCBS 5-0-5. I hate the 505.

Since I bought the RCBS Chargemaster combo I only use the others to check its accuracy.
Posted By: Reuben

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/14/13 04:29 PM

Don't get an electronic one. They are finicky and are affected by the temperature in the room your working. Your powder charges will get lighter or heavier as the temperature changes. Also, with an electronic one, you have to remember the number you want each time (30.5, etc). With a beam, it lines up or it doesn't.

The Lee powder scale is cheap, but it sucks. It never really wants to balances even when you have the correct weight on the scale.

A buddy of mine got an RCBS 502 scale. That's the scale I wish I had... When you put the proper powder charge in it, the beam wants to line up to zero. The lee always wants to tip all the way up, or down. The beam won't stay at zero.

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/16/13 04:08 AM

You can get a digital electric scale or balance beam fairly cheap. When you go to one that trickles and wgts powder and has a memory you'll spend a couple of hundred dollars. They all work. I use a RCBS balance beam when loading a box of bullets, but if its 50 or more I turn on my Lyman elec
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/16/13 02:30 PM

Reuben, with the Lyman you only have to input the powder amount one time. There's no remembering necessary. And once the data has been entered that one time, you have the option of pushing one button to throw the selected charge again OR you can tell the machine to throw that same charge when you put the powder pan back in place. Fully automatic. Does all the work for you.

As for being affected by the room temp, I have not seen that. I keep a second scale nearby for a check and I have check weights at hand. I would guess that you've never owned a good electronic scale. Get the Lyman and try it out. If you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it to somebody on this forum for what you have in it. I'm guessing that you won't sell it.
Posted By: Three

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/23/13 02:45 AM

Got a Pact here in DFW works great got one of the timers

http://www.pact.com/

mark

Re: Powder Scale Suggestions - 11/24/13 12:18 AM

I generally throw the entire loading block and visually check the powder levels but I really like mine. I put them on a PC of Marble on the bench top
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum