Texas Hunting Forum

Whats your carry ammo

Posted By: B Calvert

Whats your carry ammo - 11/11/12 11:54 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed before but i did a quick search and found nothing.

What is your ammo that you carry in your EDC or your night stand gun for personal protection.

Mine is 40 s&w Federal HST.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 12:09 AM

You can find this at CTD in McKinney most times. Was 19.99 last I bought.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 12:30 AM

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 01:13 AM

.357 Sig Speer Gold Dots.
Posted By: Elliot

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 01:53 AM

Hornady TAP FPD
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 12:21 PM

Hornady Critical Defense and Remington Golden Sabre
Posted By: target1911

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 02:18 PM

I like to keep it simple so all of mine get GOLD DOTS.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/12/12 03:55 PM

The absolute best ammo (or bullet, I should say) is the Hornady Cridical Defense. The HP part of the bullet is filled with a soft red polymer that will reliably expand in any soft tissue and will not get clogged up. I carry this in my 40 S&W ammo. For my 10mm ammo, I run 175 Win Silver Tips at 1180 fps in a G29 and 1220 fps in a G20. They are very good also!
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 12:19 AM

147 HST in 9mm. Glock 19
Posted By: boonee

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 02:17 AM

I also carry 175 Silver Tips in my G20, and Zombie max in my G19, and Magtec 92gr HP,in my Ruger LCP.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 06:10 AM

I carry Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P JHP and Gold Dot 200gr JHP in 45ACP

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 06:34 AM

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 06:51 AM

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 06:59 AM

Posted By: Road Dawg

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 01:43 PM

357 sig Gold Dot
Posted By: jjohn1023

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 02:16 PM

45 ACP Hornady Critical Defense
Posted By: dee

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 03:21 PM

185 bonded Golden Sabers in my 45.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by jjohn1023
45 ACP Hornady Critical Defense

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by boonee
I also carry 175 Silver Tips in my G20, and Zombie max in my G19, and Magtec 92gr HP,in my Ruger LCP.

Did not find a bullet test for your ammo.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 05:34 PM

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/13/12 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Road Dawg
357 sig Gold Dot

Posted By: BoomStick

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/16/12 12:39 AM

40sw

1 mag of Gold dots
1 mag of Hydra Shocks

45acp
use to use gold dots, but gun stopped liking them, now use Hornady XTPs or just 230gr ball.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/16/12 12:45 AM

corbon 125gr +p 9mm
Posted By: JCB

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/16/12 12:54 AM

HST and Gold Dot are the only two I trust my life to.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/16/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
HST and Gold Dot are the only two I trust my life to.

up
Posted By: rusky

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/18/12 09:42 AM

327 gets speer gold dots. The 9 gets critical defense. The 38 gets hydra shoks. The 357 Sig has gold dots. The sawed off 20 gets 000 buck.
Posted By: j3x

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/18/12 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Fatalwishes
.357 Sig Speer Gold Dots.
up
+1
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/18/12 12:48 PM

Corbon 115's in the 9mm and 230 FMJ"s in the 45.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/18/12 11:20 PM

I carry what the local agencies carry, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dot. I took to heart a comment I heard years ago 'It's hard for an attorney to make you out to be a monster if you shoot what the cops do'.
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 01:40 AM

gold Dots in 357 Sig for social purposes...sxt's and full metal jacket for backup for hog hunting...Winchester PDX1 230 grain HP in 45acp its a great round.....i carry those in a S&W M&P full size pistol but i never feel underpowered with plain old hardball in 45acp

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
I carry what the local agencies carry, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dot. I took to heart a comment I heard years ago 'It's hard for an attorney to make you out to be a monster if you shoot what the cops do'.

That's a very true statement.

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 04:13 PM

Plus the ballistics of the hst IMO is very good
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: B Calvert

It is a statement. But show me in any court case where a reload or non factory ammo was an issue!? I've never seen or heard of one. The lawyers and police I have talked to did not care what ammo you used. The ammo used is not even brought up. It's the bigger picture of what happened. I load and carry my ammo in my G20 and G29. It is much more accurate and consistant. I would rather tell me I used my ammo that functioned 100% in my pistol and went to my point of aim.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 07:28 PM

It was an issue with Black Talons it didn't go anywhere but it added to defense costs. It's more of an issue in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic states. The local agencies almost all use Federal or Speer so it's not like I'm handicapping myself. I carry 9mm most(HST) and occasionally 45 or 38(Gold Dot).
Posted By: Jroberts54

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/19/12 07:30 PM

40 S&W- one mag of 180 grain Gold dots and one of 105 grain DRT

9mm- 147 grain gold dots
Posted By: txd33rhunt3r

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/21/12 03:03 AM

the 9 gets gold dots and the 45 gets hornady critical defense or gold dots.
Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/21/12 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

It is a statement. But show me in any court case where a reload or non factory ammo was an issue!? I've never seen or heard of one. The lawyers and police I have talked to did not care what ammo you used. The ammo used is not even brought up. It's the bigger picture of what happened. I load and carry my ammo in my G20 and G29. It is much more accurate and consistant. I would rather tell me I used my ammo that functioned 100% in my pistol and went to my point of aim.

You are technically/legally an ammo manufacture though.

You have proper licensing to make and sell ammo. I think that would make a difference in court over somebody that wasn't.

Most of us reloaders could load the same load as you do, but that fact that we are not legally setup to manufacture and sell ammo would probably be a huge issue in court.

If I loaded and used it...there may be an issue. I could buy the same load from you and it wouldn't be an issue because you made and sold it under a license.

I think for the average re-loader it would be safer to use factory ammo or buy from a licensed manufacture such as yourself just to cover their bases.

Just my .02 cents...
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/21/12 07:24 PM

Black Talons bought them when they were cheap still have enough to practice with when they run out Fed. Hydra-Shok will be my next choice.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/21/12 08:35 PM

The lion's share of the U.S. LEO handgun ammo market goes to:

- Ranger T
- Federal HST
- Speer Gold Dot

If it's good enough for most of the nation's police officers to bet their lives on, it's good enough for me. I carry all of these, in one caliber or another, in various guns at various times. Ranger T and Fed HST are my top two choices, but Ranger T can be difficult for civilians to find at times because Winchester tries to restrict sales to LEO only. Fortunately, I write about this stuff, so the ammo makers are generous.

To this collection I would add one more: Winchester PDX1. Not many know this, but PDX1 is identical to the FBI Ranger Bonded duty load. It's simply repackaged/renamed for the civilian self-defense market.

With the caveat that no handgun round is 100% guaranteed to stop an attacker 100% of the time, all of these rounds qualify as top choices for concealed carry/self defense.

One last observation, and a bit of a pet peeve with me. If you're going to choose a load that your life may depend on, spend the money -- and spend the time -- to ensure that you can shoot it accurately and that it is completely reliable in your firearm.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/21/12 11:28 PM

.45ACP 180g Speer Gold Dot
Posted By: Hikingman

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/25/12 02:53 AM

Federal Hydra Shok JHP.
Posted By: jeff2003

Re: Carry Ammo - 11/26/12 12:30 AM

Winchester PDX1.
Posted By: Hikingman

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/13/12 04:35 AM

124 Gr. Hydra-ShokŪ JHP (9mm)
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/15/12 03:43 PM

I carry my reloaded 148gr cast lead 38 double end wadcutters loaded halfway between the 38 and 357 power level.

I just don't sign on to ammo makers hyped up, priced up claims that their super duper stuff will stop a charging rhinoceros. I'll just make and shoot my own.....thank you very much.
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/15/12 07:17 PM

that energy dump with those flat point bullets you're using turn your 38 into a hammer of Thor, parisite.....hence the beauty of using a revolver

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/15/12 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: IHateFeralPigs
that energy dump with those flat point bullets you're using turn your 38 into a hammer of Thor, parisite.....hence the beauty of using a revolver

Wadcutters are designed to be a target bullet to cut nice clean holes in paper, and they do, but they also pack a wallop on whatever they hit. The back of the bullet looks the same as the front; just a cylinder shaped chunk of lead and very accurate. Lots of bearing surface on the rifeling.

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/16/12 03:08 AM

Used to load hollow base wadcutters inverted in 38 spec. Nasty on small animals. Since I was a LEO it was ill advised to carry reloads for duty or off duty, so I quit. Law Suits on the Left and Upper Rt coasts brought all that on. Carried 158gr SWC 38 spec.

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/16/12 03:09 AM

BTW, I believe in the ballistic tests on ammo as real good research material.

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/16/12 04:56 AM

Since I am not a LEO I think I can carry what ever ammo I want and get by.
I feel under the law, a justified shooting is a justified shooting, no matter what ammo is in the gun.
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/17/12 12:04 AM

I think as long as you hit only your assailant and the shot is righteous, it won't be an issue. I think Massad Ayoob is the source of this factory ammo indemnification thing; I wonder if he addressed the idea carrying a 10MM might be considered excessive force when almost no LE agency uses it. Or would it be fairer to say one carries a 10MM instead of 9MM because the potential to stop an assailant with possibly less ammo expended makes it a logical and safer choice?

If Buffalo Bore ammo is commercial but exceeds SAAMI specs does one nullify the other?

Is one's SAAMI-spec reload less a possible liability than Buffalo Bore's overpressure rounds simply because they're home-rolled?

BTW, my current carry ammo is Federal XM40HB and Winchester RA9TA.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/17/12 12:13 AM

The 10mm was initially pushed by the FBI. At the time, it appeared (on paper) to out perform the .45ACP and closely match, if not exceed, the .357 Mag. However, in actual shootings it failed to live up to the hype. Also, female agents had issues with the recoil, causing malfunctions in semi-autos. The .40 was born out of this and took off.
Posted By: cory_cooper

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/17/12 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Fatalwishes
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

You are technically/legally an ammo manufacture though.

You have proper licensing to make and sell ammo. I think that would make a difference in court over somebody that wasn't.

Most of us reloaders could load the same load as you do, but that fact that we are not legally setup to manufacture and sell ammo would probably be a huge issue in court.

If I loaded and used it...there may be an issue. I could buy the same load from you and it wouldn't be an issue because you made and sold it under a license.

I think for the average re-loader it would be safer to use factory ammo or buy from a licensed manufacture such as yourself just to cover their bases.

Just my .02 cents...

What Ammo can chad load that anyone else can't. He uses comercial bullets and powder. He is very good at what he does so maybe if you are not a competent handloader you should use commercial ammo, I will continue to tailor my ammunition to my guns, thats right you can get better terminal perfrmance if you match your bullet and powder to the gun and application you will use it for. As far as saftey and uniformity I would say my hand loaded ammo is as reliable, if not more so than his. He uses elctronic scales and powder deispensers(Very high quality and expensive ones at that) while on my ammunition that matters ie. hunting, long range target, and self defence I throw short and hand trickle to the right wieght on a beam scale and verify by rewieghing on another beam scale.
Posted By: cory_cooper

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/17/12 12:46 AM

And back to the OP I use 357 mag 140gr FTX over unique, blue dot, or H110 depending on which gun it is loaded for and 200gr jhp over blue dot in the 45 acp.
Posted By: jollyrancher

Re: Carry Ammo - 12/31/12 08:25 PM

Speer Gold dots and Winchester Ranger SXT, but soon i will be carrying some Hornady Critical duty in my spare mag, i figure that if i am in a bad enough situation that i need my spare mag then i better have some barrier punching stuff, and also if i get in a situation where i need that extra penetration then the Critical Duties should do the job.
Posted By: Jonnyringo

Re: Carry Ammo - 01/11/13 03:55 AM

Federal 9mm +p+ 115 grain jacketed hollow point. I shot 3 of these just for comparison purposes and holy hell. $39.97 about 4 years ago.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Carry Ammo - 01/11/13 04:09 AM

Black Talons!

Re: Carry Ammo - 01/11/13 05:39 AM

380, 9mm & 45acp all have Gold Dot ammo, Federal HST would be my second choice and Winchester Ranger SXT a third in 9mm and 45acp.
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: Carry Ammo - 01/11/13 07:15 AM

9mm is black talon first followed by hydrashocks, pocket gun has a cci shotshell followed by cci hollow points, home defense usually just has some bird shot as I might use it in the yard for a randomn varmit also
Posted By: Driller

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/06/13 08:21 AM

My .40 gets Rem Golden Sabers or Hornady Taps. I recovered one of the Golden Sabers from sand and it was a nasty looking bullet. Excellent expansion and weight retension. The six petals of the brass jacket were protruding outwards with jagged edges with a good solid lead base in the middle. This would have made a nasty wound channel.
Posted By: Loden

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 02:43 AM

90 grain hydra-shok in my .380
Posted By: centexrancher

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 04:25 AM

124 grain Hydra-Shok in 9 and 90 grain Hydra-Shok in .380. I am a LEO and avoid loads that would penetrate sheet rock in an interior active shooter situation.
Posted By: centurion2000

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 07:14 AM

9mm Golden Sabres alternated with 115gr FMJ or 45 Golden Sabres alternated with FMJ.
(I do carry 5 mags though)
Posted By: SR025

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 10:10 AM

.357 sig Winchester Rangers or Gold dot
Posted By: Road Dawg

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 02:10 PM

357sig Gold Dot
Posted By: J Herrera

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/13/13 06:43 PM

Has anybody tries the Hornady critical duty in 40 cal?
Posted By: Aquaman

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/14/13 01:27 AM

357 PDX
Posted By: Tikker

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/15/13 08:29 AM

95gr 9mm +P C.O.P. (copper only projectile)

This bullet worked for me when I needed it. Had to defend myself at a point blank range. The detective said it was a picture perfect mushroom. It stopped the threat, passed fully through & bounced off the guy behind him that was attacking me as well.

*If anyone is wondering, I was not charged with anything & let go due to acting in self defense.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/15/13 04:31 PM

.40 Hornady critical defense....
Posted By: Zonker

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/15/13 09:53 PM

Winchester Silvertips in .38 special +p are in my j-frame.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Carry Ammo - 02/17/13 01:11 AM

TAP, Hornady Critical Defense and Golden Saber
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum