Texas Hunting Forum

matches....?

Posted By: Kyle Horn

matches....? - 06/03/10 01:19 AM

i have been reading some books and playing with a few rifles. i live in DFW area and would like to go see a club shoot or match. i reall would love to get started on the amature level in either light varmit or hunter or something of that nature. do you guys where this would exist close to me. any advice from you other shooters?

Posted By: McKinneyHusker

Re: matches....? - 06/03/10 04:07 AM

Check this group out, should be a good starting place

Dallas Target & Action Shooters Group
http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Target/

Re: matches....? - 06/03/10 02:00 PM

looking more for rifles of a rest, not too in to tactical. thank you for the reply though

Posted By: 686ppp

Re: matches....? - 06/03/10 03:59 PM

Sent you an email of the last match we had. Should schedule another one for July or August

Posted By: dee

Re: matches....? - 06/03/10 08:42 PM

Let me know if you find anything I too would be interested.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: matches....? - 06/04/10 01:34 AM

I would go also.

Perhaps a sticky in the rifles, shotguns, and handguns section for matches. Because this is a Hunting forum, hunter class rifles should be required.

Re: matches....? - 06/04/10 03:54 AM

if a bunch of guys wanna meet at a range one saturday we could orginze our own fun shoot. make a few rules "no custom guns, only factory action and barrells" any caliber. 100 yds? dfw area?

Posted By: tth_40

Re: matches....? - 06/04/10 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Kyle Horn
if a bunch of guys wanna meet at a range one saturday we could orginze our own fun shoot. make a few rules "no custom guns, only factory action and barrells" any caliber. 100 yds? dfw area?

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: matches....? - 06/04/10 05:03 AM

I'd whip out the lever action for that one.

Posted By: mikeYZ250

Re: matches....? - 06/06/10 01:51 AM

im interested klye give me a shout

Re: matches....? - 06/08/10 04:14 PM

ok lets try this:
i don't have a ton of money, nor any custom built guns.
i have many rifles, but one is more of a fun gun, to heavy to carry (varmit style). ruger action, barrell, trigger, i had to get a new stock (boyds) since the last one broke. it is .220 swift. so it isn't some 1000 yard gun. but i am proud of how it shoots. i would love to find a group of guys (10-whatever) in my situation in the greater DFW area that want to meet at a ranch or range and do some formate of off season fun, paper groups, clay pigeons, water ballons, WHATEVER!!! just fun off season competition! how about a roll call....I will start it off, count me in!

Re: matches....? - 06/08/10 07:22 PM

In depending on time

Re: matches....? - 06/08/10 08:59 PM

Sounds like fun...all I need is a place and time.

Re: matches....? - 06/08/10 10:48 PM

lets start planning on june 26th...
so far in:
me...kyle horn
tth_40
dee
mike yz250
firemanjg

guys if this goes well, we could get a little bigger and make some guidlines, classes, whatever we want to do. anyone else

Re: matches....? - 06/09/10 06:49 AM

Where do you think would be a good place to do this?

Re: matches....? - 06/09/10 02:12 PM

totally open to whatever. i generally shoot at Alpine Shooting Center.

Re: matches....? - 06/09/10 04:25 PM

Alpine sounds good to me.

Re: matches....? - 06/10/10 02:32 AM

I have 200 acres in the Bells area 1 hr from Dallas we can come up with some pretty interesting stuff. We would need to have a planning day to figure everything out. I have some friends with some match experience that are more than willing to help out.

Re: matches....? - 06/10/10 02:54 PM

i am ok with that. how do the rest of you guys feel? outh there we coud shoot for groups, clay pidgeons, ballons, or whatever. but if it is to far for some then in the first few gathering we may need to keep it closer untill we get up to around a dozen guys. i think if we do it once or twice then post a pic or two we will get more people. plus we may pick a guy or two up at a local rrange. just trying to think it out.

Re: matches....? - 06/10/10 03:28 PM

Where is the Bells area?

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: matches....? - 06/10/10 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Where is the Bells area?

US Hwy 82/56, East of Sherman..Between Sherman and Bonham...
Hwy 69 Southeast of Denison...

Re: matches....? - 06/15/10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: mikeYZ250
I have 200 acres in the Bells area 1 hr from Dallas we can come up with some pretty interesting stuff. We would need to have a planning day to figure everything out. I have some friends with some match experience that are more than willing to help out.

Mike, as long as I'm not on duty at the fire station I could prolly come to your place and help you get things ready if needed.

Re: matches....? - 06/15/10 05:41 PM

One more thing. Should we all throw $20 in the pot and pay out the first 3 places? First gets 45% Second 35% Third 20% That might cover those guys costs for the day. It's just a thought, I'll come out and shoot totally not-for-profit, as I'm sure most of us will.

Re: matches....? - 06/15/10 07:49 PM

I'm still in provided I can get a babysitter.

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: matches....? - 06/15/10 09:05 PM

I'd be in for an egg shoot, or something like that. But I'm awfully busy the next few weeks. Y'all decide on what will happen, and I'll make it if I can.

Re: matches....? - 06/15/10 09:55 PM

I'll make it there if I can.

Posted By: McWilliams

Re: matches....? - 06/16/10 06:18 AM

My Dad and I are looking for a .22 or rimfire bench rest match in the dallas/Ft.Worth area. If anyone knows of any I would like to know...

Posted By: Hooper21

Re: matches....? - 06/17/10 02:18 PM

Why not try a Postal Shoot?

Basically you take an agreed-upon target, tape it over a copy of that day's newspaper (for the date) and shoot your groups. Leave the target and newspaper together and mail it to the organizer, who measures the groups to determine the winner. You can have centerfire, rimfire, open sights, or just best group with whatever.

Re: matches....? - 06/17/10 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooper21
Why not try a Postal Shoot?

Basically you take an agreed-upon target, tape it over a copy of that day's newspaper (for the date) and shoot your groups. Leave the target and newspaper together and mail it to the organizer, who measures the groups to determine the winner. You can have centerfire, rimfire, open sights, or just best group with whatever.

Excellent idea!! Have a due date and specified info to be included, like range, caliber, load, type of rifle, barrel length, etc.

Re: matches....? - 06/18/10 08:04 PM

Here is how a postal match is done on a different forum I am a member of. We could modify this, I suppose. But I don't see why you would.

Special Note: Rules for STS Rimfire Class are exactly the same as those below, only the range is 50yds. Any rimfire may be used. You may get a maximum of 4 targets for centerfire and 4 targets for rimfire, if you so desire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTRY & FEES:

Targets Desired Pay by Check Pay by Paypal Pay by Gearpay
1 3.50 4.30 3.50
2 7.00 7.80 7.00
3 10.50 11.30 10.50
4 14.00 14.80 14.00
5 17.50 18.50 17.50
6 21.00 22.00 21.00
7 24.50 25.50 24.50
8 28.00 29.00 28.00

-This gives you at most 4 tries at your best target in each class -- SEND ME BACK YOUR ONE BEST TARGET!

If neither CENTERFIRE, nor RIMFIRE class is specified with your entry, you will get CENTERFIRE marked targets. RIMFIRE targets will be marked differently and meant to only be used for the RIMFIRE class.

If no "handle" or "forum ID" is included with your entry, I will post your results using your first name and last initial (i.e. "John D").

The first batch of targets will go out to you on the day of the entry deadline. The rest go out as soon as the entry shows up in the mail.

PAYMENT:

I would prefer registration fees as a personal check, money orders are an unnecessary expense.

You can also pay via Paypal.com if you wish. Please see the CONTACT page for details.

Please see the CONTACT page for entry details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEADLINES:

Deadlines for the current match will be posted on the homepage and on the match calendar.

The deadlines are "postmarked" deadlines, meaning as long as the postmark is on or before that date, the targets/entries will be accepted. Please adhere to the entry and return deadlines to help me out on this end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRING PROCEDURE:

Targets are shot FROM THE GROUND at 100 yards only (Rimfire class is 50 yards). This means you can shoot prone or sitting if you choose.

***The target(s) will come folded in thirds with the center section (1" CBS* , 30-ring, and smiley) facing out.

The targets MUST STAY FOLDED as I send it until the first shot is fired at the center CBS circle. - MAKE SURE YOU ONLY POST 1 TARGET AT A TIME THOUGH, AND ONLY SHOOT THE CBS CIRCLE, AS THERE WILL BE SEVERAL FOLDED TOGETHER IF YOU REQUEST MORE THAN ONE TARGET!!

***The first shot and ONLY THE FIRST SHOT is to be fired at the ring marked "CBS" -you will denote on the back of the target whether or not it was a true CBS* (see definition below).

AFTER you shoot your CBS* you must walk out to the backstop and unfold the target. It will now have 3 holes in it from your first shot.

- This will show that the second shot was not taken directly after the first because the target needed unfolded before firing the second shot. This also adds a bit of stress and makes you disturb our position

***PLEASE CIRCLE OR OTHERWISE MARK THE HOLES FROM THE CBS* SHOT

NOW, the target is unfolded and still mounted at 100yds. Shoot the rest of the circles and smiley (and the confidence shot* if you choose to) at your convenience.

***You can shoot your REQUIRED 3-SHOT GROUP* at any time, in any order after the target is opened up.

Don't forget you CONFIDENCE SHOT* !!! (defined below)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REST/EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:

ALLOWED: Bipod/rucksack/sandbags/beanbags and Accu-shot monopods, beanbags, and bunny-ear bags MAY be used in the rear

NOT ALLOWED: mechanical/tripod style bench rests (front or rear), including but not limited to Hart/Sinclair/Bald Eagle/Protector/Hoppe's/Caldwell etc. - IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS EMAIL ME

***THERE ARE NO CALIBER OR WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS***

SCORING:

The points below reflect the value for a hit (breaking the circle) -

approximate size----: Point Value
2"------------------------5
1.3"---------------------10
1.1"---------------------15 (CBS)
0.5" ---------------------25
0.4" ---------------------30
smily = 1/4"-------------40 (50 for a wipeout* )

***There is a 5-point bonus if the bullet is completely inside the white inner circle (or for a center wipeout* on the smaller circles)

***Also an added bonus for hitting the other strategically placed smilies.

*** 3-SHOT GROUP SCORING

Groups over 1-inch will not affect your score at all.

Your group size will be subtracted from 1" and multiplied by 100 to give you the value added to your score

EXAMPLE:

Group = 0.750"

Difference from 1" = 0.250"

0.250 x 100 = 25

So a 0.5" group would add 50pts, 0.25" group would add 75pts etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TERMS AND DEFINITIONS:

*CBS: (Cold Bore Shot) concerning your FIRST SHOT at the "CBS" circle on the target. To be an honest "true CBS" this must be the first shot from the gun THAT DAY. The gun MAY be fouled and sighted in the prior day, but if you are claiming a CBS, it must be the first shot that day. A TRUE CBS IS NOT REQUIRED, BUT IS A BETTER TEST OF PERSONAL AND EQUIPMENT ABILITIES.

*3-SHOT GROUP:

--fire ONLY 3 shots at the diamond aiming point at any time after the target is unfolded

*CONFIDENCE SHOT: (OPTIONAL -- ONE SHOT ONLY!!):

--This can be fired any time after you unfold the target (after the CBS) YOU MUST HAVE ALREADY HIT THE CIRCLE/SMILEY YOU ARE GOING AFTER WITH THE CONFIDENCE SHOT. The confidence shot is ONE ROUND fired at whatever circle you are sure you can hit a second time - if you miss the chosen circle with this shot, you loose ALL the points for THAT CIRCLE.

THIS SHOT IS NOT REQUIRED-ONLY TAKE IT IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT YOU CAN CONNECT.

*WIPEOUT: complete removal of the smiley shown with a caliber sized scoring ring.This can be done with a 22 caliber bullet.

*TIEBREAKERS: Tiebreakers will be figured by the most central CBS on the "CBS" aimpoint. (since the cold bore shot is most important to the tactical shooter) then after that ties will be determined by 3-shot group size.

*The circle around the 40pt smily is UN-SCORED, it is only an aiming aid for lower magnification scopes

Posted By: Hooper21

Re: matches....? - 06/23/10 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Here is how a postal match is done on a different forum I am a member of. We could modify this, I suppose. But I don't see why you would.

Other than the fact that it's way too detailed - takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooper21

Other than the fact that it's way too detailed - takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Could you explain what is too detailed about it? It seems to me that it is a competition to see who can hit the targets on the same piece of paper as well as who can shoot the tightest group. This is as detailed as it is to prevent anyone, that is a competitor, from believing they got cheated.

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 09:30 PM

you guys go ahead. sounds like alot are in for it. i know i started all this, but i was looking to meet folks, cus and discuss...maybe even learn a thing or two from someone my elder or just better. like hunting, campfire time is as fun as the hunt...almost.

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 10:15 PM

you guys go ahead. sounds like alot are in for it. i know i started all this, but i was looking to meet folks, cus and discuss...maybe even learn a thing or two from someone my elder or just better. like hunting, campfire time is as fun as the hunt...almost.

You are right. A FTF range session would be a lot more fun.

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 10:32 PM

I agree, I would rather do a FTF range session as well. Someone brought up a postal match and I was simply trying to help. Why couldn't we have a postal match going on all year AND meet up to cus, discuss, and learn from each other from time to time?

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 10:34 PM

I agree, I would rather do a FTF range session as well. Someone brought up a postal match and I was simply trying to help. Why couldn't we have a postal match going on all year AND meet up to cus, discuss, and learn from each other from time to time?

I like it. up

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 10:40 PM

I like it. up [/quote]

What? Doing bofum?

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 10:41 PM

Sure, both would be fun.

Re: matches....? - 06/24/10 11:18 PM

Hey Kyle, We scheduled our next match for the last saturday in July. I emailed you a flyer at the start of this topic. Ill try to post here in the A.M.

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 01:39 PM

Sponsored By: The North Texas Pistol league
Date: Sunday, July 31st
Spanish Fort, Texas*
Signup 8:00- 9:00 AM. $20.00 Entry Fee. Shooters meeting and match to follow.
*Spanish Fort- 17 miles North of Nocona, Texas on FM103 to Bonnie Mitchell Road South 2 miles then follow signs.
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 shooters.

last match we had 40+ shooters and finished at 2:00. It will be hot. Let me know if anyone wants to go and ill give you my cell in case you get lost.

General Rules
1. Four relays 10 rds.
2. Targets will be at 250 yds.
3. There will be multiple targets on the target board for the hunter class. Open class will have only the 60 mm clays
120 mm clays – 1 point
60 mm clays – 1 point
There will be sight in targets for the first round.
4. Shooters will be allowed, per relay 10 rounds at your position and 10 minutes to shoot them. Any sighters will be out of those 10 rounds.
5. You will need 40 rounds for the match plus any to sight in.
6. Most points at the end of the day wins.
7. The number of small and large clays in that order will break ties. If a tie cannot be broken by this method each shooter will be allowed 1 shot. The closest to the center wins.
8. Range officer and scorekeeper will have final say in scoring.
9. There will be a five min. sight in before the 1st relay
10. Shooters will provide their own bench, rest, bags, mats etc.
11. No loaded guns allowed except on the line when line is hot. Actions shall be open at all times.
12. No alcohol during the match or shooters under the influence.

Rules for Hunter Class

No factory custom guns (Remington 40x, Savage F, Cooper, Christian Arms, Jarrett) etc.
Must have factory action-barrel with factory stamping.
Must be .30cal. Or less
Modifications allowed – bedding, triggers adjustable or replacement and recrowning.
Max barrel diameter of .990 and length of 26 inch.
No limit on sights.
Hand loads are allowed and encouraged.
No one piece rest or vices.
Sporterized military rifle’s barrel diameter can’t exceed .670

Open Class rules
.35 cal or less
No rail guns or return to battery.
No limit on sights

Posted By: Judd

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 01:54 PM

686...that sounds like FUN! I'm a shotgunner so not really set up to do the rifle stuff. Might someday, ya never know...

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 03:13 PM

686 thats fairly close to me I'll try and find time to come next month.Do hunter class and open class shoot at the same time or are they seperate.

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 07:00 PM

There are 16 lanes usually mixed hunter and open.

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 07:10 PM

There are plenty of benches there, if you have some type of shade you will want to bring it.

Re: matches....? - 06/25/10 10:19 PM

Do you have to shoot off the benches or is prone an option.

Re: matches....? - 06/26/10 12:27 AM

There are some that shoot prone. I will mow the coastal before the match you may want something to lay on.

Re: matches....? - 06/26/10 01:02 AM

Good deal Since its a bit of a ways in advance I'll see if the wife can watch the baby or if I need to arrange someone too.

Re: matches....? - 06/27/10 01:26 PM

FiremanJG I was out of town last week, I have a few buddies that want to come out and setup something also when we decide to get it going I'll send you a pm, I dont want a big competition just fun shooting.

Re: matches....? - 06/27/10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: mikeYZ250
FiremanJG I was out of town last week, I have a few buddies that want to come out and setup something also when we decide to get it going I'll send you a pm, I dont want a big competition just fun shooting.

I completly understand. I was thinking of a few guys from the THF, and that's it. Since it's your place you put the limit on the number of people you want out there. First come, first serve. I'll look for the PM.

Re: matches....? - 06/27/10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 686ppp
There are some that shoot prone. I will mow the coastal before the match you may want something to lay on.

I'll be shooting prone, so that'll help a bunch. By the way, I hunt with a Savage 10FLCP .308. Can I enter hunter class with that rifle?

Re: matches....? - 06/27/10 06:55 PM

That should be fine for the hunter class.

Re: matches....? - 06/27/10 10:14 PM

I figured as much. I bought the rifle to hunt with (did last year) as well as to shoot matches with. I just thought I better check before I showed up in Nocona with it and wasn't allowed to enter.

Thank you.

Re: matches....? - 06/29/10 11:35 AM

I really dont care what you shoot with, its just for fun and maybe to learn something. We are getting ready to bale our hay so I can set something up in that pasture we can get out to a good 450, and if positioned right 500-600 yards.

Re: matches....? - 07/15/10 01:29 AM

Correction

Saturday the 31st will be the Spanish fort shoot

Posted By: furdown

Re: matches....? - 07/15/10 03:29 AM

Did this work out guys. Just curious becuase I would like to get in on this if its gonna work. I wwould be willing to help out on it. This sounds fun and meeting some thfers would be great. Just a thought but what about trying to get a thf sponsored match and through in some prizes to a few places if you could get some stuff donated

Re: matches....? - 07/16/10 01:07 AM

This is our 5th or 6th time to do this. We get faster at scoring and setup every time. There is a gun shop that has donated cash toward the open class prize money we have never asked and dont expect it. We look at as a bonus for those shooters.

Re: matches....? - 07/30/10 03:05 PM

Who's going tomorrow? I'll be there, can't wait.

Re: matches....? - 07/30/10 04:55 PM

I'll be there too, might even try and shoot in both classes.

Re: matches....? - 07/30/10 05:09 PM

I messed up and only loaded 50 rounds for the match. So I can't enter both. I bet I'll regret not loading more.

Re: matches....? - 07/30/10 05:59 PM

I almost messed up and ran out of primers but found some so I get to load tonight.

Re: matches....? - 07/30/10 09:47 PM

I havent loaded anything hope i get time later. I will be there helping score.

Re: matches....? - 08/01/10 02:22 AM

686 I had a blast wish I hadn't messed up my scope adjustments, I might have competed a lil better. Hopefully I cn make the next match and some of the Grahm matches as well.

Re: matches....? - 08/01/10 04:08 AM

Thanks for the help resetting the targets. I think there needs to be a pistol class, i dont like being outshot by one. First and second place last time were pistol's in the hunter class

Re: matches....? - 08/01/10 03:23 PM

I agree , I felt sorry for the guys shooting next to the ones with the brakes they were really loud.

Re: matches....? - 08/02/10 12:40 PM

That was a good time. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I'm going to try to make the next one in a couple of weeks. I really liked the way you guys had things set up. Very safe, and very fair, good job sir.

Re: matches....? - 08/02/10 09:50 PM

Thanks, always looking for suggestions if there is anything you would rather see or think we are doing something wrong let us know.

Posted By: k220swift

Re: matches....? - 09/01/10 02:57 AM

Terrell rifle and pistol club,the have rifle pistol and shotgun comp.

Re: matches....? - 09/07/10 01:00 AM

Sponsored By: The North Texas Pistol league
Date: Sunday, October 24th
Spanish Fort, Texas
Signup 8:00- 9:00 AM. $20.00 Entry Fee. Shooters meeting and match to follow.
Spanish Fort- 17 miles North of Nocona, Texas on FM103 to Bonnie Mitchell Road South 2 miles then follow signs.
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 shooters.

General Rules
1. Four relays 10 rds.
2. Targets will be at 250 yds.
3. There will be multiple targets on the target board for the hunter class. Open class will have only the 60 mm clays
120 mm clays – 1 point
60 mm clays – 1 point
There will be sight in targets for the first round.
4. Shooters will be allowed, per relay 10 rounds at your position and 10 minutes to shoot them. Any sighters will be out of those 10 rounds.
5. You will need 40 rounds for the match plus any to sight in.
6. Most points at the end of the day wins.
7. The number of small and large clays in that order will break ties. If a tie cannot be broken by this method each shooter will be allowed 1 shot. The closest to the center wins.
8. Range officer and scorekeeper will have final say in scoring.
9. There will be a five min. sight in before the 1st relay
10. Shooters will provide their own bench,(There will be enough benches if you dont have one) rest, bags, mats etc.
11. No loaded guns allowed except on the line when line is hot. Actions shall be open at all times.
12. No alcohol during the match or shooters under the influence.

Rules for Hunter Class

No factory custom guns (Remington 40x, Savage F, Cooper, Christian Arms, Jarrett) etc.
Must have factory action-barrel with factory stamping.
Must be .30cal. Or less
Modifications allowed – bedding, triggers adjustable or replacement and recrowning.
Max barrel diameter of .990 and length of 26 inch.
No limit on sights.
Hand loads are allowed and encouraged.
Sporterized military rifle’s barrel diameter can’t exceed .670

Open Class rules
.35 cal or less
No rail guns or return to battery.
No limit on sights

Re: matches....? - 09/08/10 01:19 AM

Hopefully I'll be there.

Re: matches....? - 09/13/10 10:50 PM

Dang! I'll be on the road between Gatesville and Melissa. Maybe I can make Graham some time.

Re: matches....? - 09/15/10 01:00 AM

Graham this Saturday.

Re: matches....? - 09/17/10 02:46 AM

Dang Again! Live fire training for the Volunteer FD, and I really should be there. I guess I'll get to shoot some other time.

Re: matches....? - 10/23/10 03:43 PM

Match has been canceled.

Re: matches....? - 10/24/10 05:29 PM

Will it be rescheduled?

Re: matches....? - 10/25/10 01:14 AM

Not sure, The place was leased for deer hunting. We will have a meeting on the first. Will post either way.

Re: matches....? - 10/27/10 09:31 PM

i think this is the first post i have ever started that made it to 75 post!! go me!

Re: matches....? - 11/02/10 12:12 PM

Going to put it off till after deer season.

Re: matches....? - 01/04/11 02:05 AM

Update posted in the Trap, Skeet and Target shooting section.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: matches....? - 01/04/11 03:56 AM

id be interested

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum