Texas Hunting Forum

Muzzle loader or shotgun

Posted By: Huntindad

Muzzle loader or shotgun - 01/30/24 01:18 AM

I bought a New England firearms "Sidekick" a while back to hunt in multiple categories. Seems now a days, the muzzle loader is grouped in with shotguns. I hadn't shot the ML in a few years and am wondering if I should just move on to a shotgun with rifled barrel and slugs. The ML was nice, but a lot of moving parts. As I get older, wonder if I need to get into more simpler firearms.

With that said, many years ago, I went on a public hunt in Junction and an 81 year old gentlemen shot an Aoudad with his ML and loaded it up him self.

Maybe I need to bring the ML out of the safe and shoot it a few times. Yeah, I know I am rambling. Just musing what to do going forward.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 01/31/24 01:46 PM

The Sidekick in .50 caliber was considered an accurate rifle. I can't think of a reason not to use it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 01/31/24 01:59 PM

Muzzleloader is grouped in with shotguns? Where? But if I had the choice between hunting with a ML or a shotty, I'd pick the ML all day.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/01/24 12:56 AM

I love muzzleloader hunting. Have killed many more deer with a front-stuffer than archery and centerfire combined. It is a bit more complicated than a shotgun. Just depends on your personal preference. I killed a big hog and a very nice 10-point with a Mossberg slug gun a few years ago. Just more fun for me with the muzzleloader. Even been hunting with a muzzleloader pistol the last couple of years.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/01/24 04:20 AM

Having both options available would be my first choice, but given one, I would choose the muzzleloader. Pick up some speed loaders, ez loaders, rapid loaders, or whatever brand you choose calls them. The ones I use are just a clear plastic tube and cap. Each holds my pre measured powder, sabot, and bullet. I found the load I wanted to use, sighted in, and have never changed it up. Make enough up at home for the season to take when you go hunting. It makes it easy and reasonably fast enough on the fly.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/01/24 07:15 PM

If they lump together muzzleloader and shotguns, shotgun. No brainer. If you are not a black powder enthusiast, the shotgun is the clear winner.

The only reason I got into black powder is because of our short gun season in Missouri, in conjunction with the numerous opportunities in muzzle loader and archery only areas.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/02/24 02:39 AM

No brainer at all. If they include them all in a short range season, I'd pick my REM 870 with slug barrel all day long. 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, no weather issues, and 5 fast shots.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/03/24 05:11 PM

Well for relatively dry hunts I like my muzzleloaders. Hunting from boats or in rain the shotgun for sure.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/07/24 01:38 AM

Be a man. Stab it with a sharp rock.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/08/24 02:52 PM

unless its a rifled shot gun barrel, Your range is much further with ML

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/27/24 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Muzzleloader is grouped in with shotguns? Where? But if I had the choice between hunting with a ML or a shotty, I'd pick the ML all day.

Texas public draw hunts.

Re: Muzzle loader or shotgun - 02/27/24 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Be a man. Stab it with a sharp rock.

smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum