Texas Hunting Forum

Loose powder vs premade pellets?

Posted By: bbarron80

Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 12/27/23 01:44 PM

Which one do you recommend for new muzzleloaders? Worried about accuracy. I hear pellets are not as accurate as powder. I will be tree saddle hunting and loading rifle in a tree. Is there a huge difference between cost?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 12/27/23 01:56 PM

From an earlier post, it looks like you ended up with a CVA wolf? That is a 209 primed gun I believe? I'd probably look for some blackhorn 209. I've never used it, but heard that it has good performance in a 209 primed gun. It is a loose powder. I prefer loose powders as I believe they are more accurate.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 12/28/23 02:57 AM

Under 150 yards, I would pick pellets just for the convenience. All three of my muzzleloaders will shoot 1.5 MOA with Triple 7 pellets. Yes, I can (and have) tightened up those groups with loose powder. It’s just not worth the effort at the distances I shoot (under 100 yards).
Posted By: backyard hunter

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 12/29/23 04:30 AM

I also use tripple seven pellets 50/50. Decent accuracy. Have not tried loose powder yet but you can get 30 gr pellets to fine tune it and see what your gun likes. I have been doing 100gr loads. Under 100 yards. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 01/03/24 05:24 AM

Loose powder can give tighter groups but can also be a pain especially of loading while hanging in a tree. How good is good enough? A friend killed lots of deer with a 30-30 inside 125 yards with a 30-30 that would barely shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards.

I like tight shooting guns but as long as you put the bullet through both lungs or heart you will have a dead deer.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 01/06/24 02:14 AM

My CVA Wolf is extremely accurate at 100 yards with 2 white hot pellets. I am amazed at how well it shoots.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 01/15/24 07:06 PM

I would just use the pellets. If you get into the muzzle loading and black powder forums, those guys are enthusiasts. I would not worry about squeezing MOA accuracy out of the CVA wolf. Although it is a good gun and capable of some decent accuracy. Use the pellets, 777 firestar are the most common. Get a couple packs of power belts. Make a mark on your ramrod for the depth after you load the first shot, I used a file to mark mine so you know about how deep ot should load up. Sight it in and forget about it. That way it’s there and you don’t have to worry about changing stuff up and adjusting things. Verify your scope or sights are still on at the start of the season every year and roll with it.
Posted By: Huntindad

Re: Loose powder vs premade pellets? - 01/30/24 12:50 AM

I changed from pellets to powder and noticed a delay in the shot. So much so, I missed a couple deer cause I looked up too soon. Stick with one or the other.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum