Texas Hunting Forum

Blackhorn

Posted By: Static1968

Blackhorn - 12/29/22 08:10 PM

I finally broke down and purchased a jug of Blackhorn 209. I have a CVA Wolf and I am currently using Two 50 grain pellets of triple777 and 250 grain Hornady SST's with sabot.
Still waiting on the Blackhorn Breech plug. Just wondering if any of you have this set up and what works best for your rifle and if by using a powder measure or scale ?

Thanks
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Blackhorn - 12/30/22 03:23 AM

You need to use a scale and measure your charges by weight.

I've found right around 80gr by weight is a good start point with CVAs.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Blackhorn - 01/27/23 06:59 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Blank

Re: Blackhorn - 01/28/23 12:01 AM

I shoot it in my CVA Accura V2, with 300 gr saboted bullets. Works like a dream, and my groups are very tight. I have found that it is very inconsistent with just volume, and will vary as much as +/- 5 grains. I weigh mine to 80.0 grains (which is about 100 by volume), and put them in little individual powder holders.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Blackhorn - 01/28/23 04:18 PM

A lot of guys measure blackhorn by weight, it is more consistent that way. But If you want to do it by weight for consistency sake, first measure it by volume then weigh the charge, because it’s always lighter by weight but it is engineered to be measured by volume.

If you just load up 150 grains by weight, it could be more like 200 grains by volume and that could be a problem.

When you start the next jug, you should probably weight the measured volume again and start over.

I know that might seem redundant but better safe than sorry.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Blackhorn - 06/06/23 04:15 PM

Max load is 84 grains by weight of this powder
Posted By: freerange

Re: Blackhorn - 06/07/23 12:16 AM

I cant speak directly to your setup but I really like BH 209. It seems like the clean up is one of the huge pluses. I vote for weighing.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Blackhorn - 07/20/23 01:26 AM

I don't know if anyone is looking for some blackhorn 209. I stopped by Cabelas in Waco Monday evening and found some. They had about 12-14 on the self minus the two I picked up. I had been checking on line several places and checking with local shops in Tyler, but nothing. Hope this helps someone else. Good hunting.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Blackhorn - 07/20/23 02:43 PM

I don't care how much they have. $80.00 for 8 oz. is highway robbery.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Blackhorn - 08/02/23 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by pigplinker
I don't know if anyone is looking for some blackhorn 209. I stopped by Cabelas in Waco Monday evening and found some. They had about 12-14 on the self minus the two I picked up. I had been checking on line several places and checking with local shops in Tyler, but nothing. Hope this helps someone else. Good hunting.

pigplink, that shooting range by you usually has some 209.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Blackhorn - 08/03/23 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by pigplinker

pigplink, that shooting range by you usually has some 209.

He didn't have any and said he didn't know if he could get any. That's why I opted to grab some when I found it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum