Texas Hunting Forum

First blackpowder stag

Posted By: JPHunting

First blackpowder stag - 08/25/14 10:30 PM

G'day guys,
Haven't been around for a while as we've been moving house and still having trouble with our internet provider gettin it at the new house.
Anyways, I've been spending a lot of time chasing deer with my muzzleloader lately, firstly for a trophy, in particular one big stag I've been after for a few years but long story short when I finally caught u with him he'd cast. So for the last month just a meat animal. But as is the way, as soon as you're meat hunting all the deer you were seeing when chasing a trophy disappear and I was seeing nothing. So on Sunday morning I was at one of my best blocks doing some still hunting along the edge of the open but didn't manage to see any, which was a surprise as this spot nearly always has the goods. So I pushed into the bush and immediatey started seeing a good amount of fresh sign, unfortunately nothin from today. After about another half an hour and after being pushed several times by cockatoos I ended up sittin down glassing across a nice little gully. I just stopped to take in the beauty of it all when I heard the unmistakable sound of clashing antlers. No doubt a couple of young fellas having fun. I glassed and listened hard for five mins but I neither saw nor heard a thing. The wind wasn't brilliant for a stalk towards them so I continued skirting out in an arc guessing they were on the creekline up ahead moving my way. After a while I made it to the creek and was standing next to a tree glassing the opposite valley. When I was satisfied there was nothing there u stepped from behind the free and immediately had a chill run down my spine, there 60m away previously obscured by the tree was a young stag standing face on staring right at me. A quick glance and I thought he was a young six point so I side stepped put the gun up and placed the open sights squarely on his neck and pulled the trigger. When the smoke cleared there he was hadn't moved a step. I'll skip the part where I was jumping for joy but needless to say I was pretty happy. Ended up being a 3 year old 5x5, I caped him out for a mount and broke down all the meat. I put the now empty gun over my shoulder and decided to take the head skin out first. I thought to myself "maybe I should load this just in case" but then brushed off the idea as silly and verging on greedy. I made it to the edge of the bush without seeing anything but as I got over the fence I looked to my right and here not 120m away is a mature 10pt and a big 12-14 pt stag. I think I know the sound that scared them, my jaw hittin the ground! But really my heads were full, my gun was empty and I was a content man for the time being so I saw them on their way. Next weekend I'll be back looking for that big guy but wether I get him or not makes no difference my first BP stag is a trophy of a lifetime in his own right and will go on my wall as proudly as my biggest head.

Cheers

Jack

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/25/14 10:31 PM

Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/26/14 02:25 AM

Jack,
Congrats....what load & bullet combination were you using?
Tony
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/26/14 02:59 AM

Cool! I love hunting with muzzleloaders.

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/26/14 03:11 AM

Thanks guys,

Tony still using same old 240gn xtp's and 110gn Alliant black MZ. The FPBs that were meant to be in a month ago still haven't arrived. Hoping they do soon as I only have 5 projectiles left. I had a good chat with the local gun bloke and I think what we can get are 300gn tsx so I might try them if I can ever get them in. I've been meaning to email you too but just been difficult with the Internet troubles. I will in the next week just to get a little more help if that's ok when I get a chance.

Jack
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/26/14 06:26 AM

up nice ta hear from ya, keep your head held high & your powder dry flag
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: First blackpowder stag - 08/27/14 12:41 AM

Jack,
No problem.....email me when you get things under control.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: First blackpowder stag - 09/03/14 01:28 PM

Hey congrats!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum