Texas Hunting Forum

looking for a muzzloader for my dad

Posted By: brooks23

looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 08/29/11 05:28 PM

Don't want to spend a lot I have no clue about them what would be a good one

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 08/29/11 05:29 PM

Or if u thts have one for sale send some pics I'd like to get one before deer season

Posted By: MetroCat07

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 08/29/11 05:34 PM

I have one in the classifieds section

Posted By: GLC

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 08/29/11 09:38 PM

Any idea if he wants one that is inline, percussion or flintlock? Iron sites or scope capable? Price range? Be careful buying used ubless you check it out carefully. Look for barrel pitting in side and out. If not cleaned properly a BP gun can be worthless pretty quick. This is not to say that you can't find a good used one but check them out carefully.
Check out this web site for some inexpensive BP guns.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/black-powder-rifles.aspx?c=3&s=2
Also be prepared to spend about $100 or more in accessories and cleaning supplies for BP shooting.

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/01/11 09:13 PM

well he has no knowledge with them but really interested in getting one. whatever easiest and more reliable i guess

Posted By: GLC

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/01/11 09:56 PM

I would suggest to find some one that may be close to where you live that has muzzleloaders. Information is free and you can learn a lot from others. I would not even suggest purchasing one till you understand first what you want to accomplish with one and then how to load and take care of them. If you are not careful and do things right your muzzleloadser can turn into a pipe bomb. This is a good place to start for muzzleloader information.
http://www.cva.com/videos.php
Your tag shows Johnson County, I live in Burleson and would be glad to show you percussion and inline muzzleloaderes that I own. Muzzleloaders are a lot of fun but definately not meant for someone that is not familiar with them or not able to follow instructions. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted By: dw87

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/03/11 12:33 AM

I have a never shot CVA optima 50 cal. for 150.00

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/03/11 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
I would suggest to find some one that may be close to where you live that has muzzleloaders. Information is free and you can learn a lot from others. I would not even suggest purchasing one till you understand first what you want to accomplish with one and then how to load and take care of them. If you are not careful and do things right your muzzleloadser can turn into a pipe bomb. This is a good place to start for muzzleloader information.
http://www.cva.com/videos.php
Your tag shows Johnson County, I live in Burleson and would be glad to show you percussion and inline muzzleloaderes that I own. Muzzleloaders are a lot of fun but definately not meant for someone that is not familiar with them or not able to follow instructions. Just my 2 cents worth.

Short seated projectile = pipe bomb. Most don't burst but the potential is there. And once you do it and bulge the barrel, you have to either buy a new barrel or hang it on the wall.

Posted By: Bonner

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/03/11 09:31 PM

Probably out of the budget but hindsight i would have gone with a TC Encore that has the interchangeable barrels as opposed to the the TC Triumph - which is pretty darn nice.Whoever said $100 in accessories isnt lying. I would lean more towards $250 (different sabots, bullets, brushes, primers, powders, solvents, patches, pipe cleaners, powder measurers (if loose), speed loaders, Tipton non-abrasive cleaning rod (brass or metal ones will end up scratching your barrel as much cleaning as you have to do at the range) and on and on. Once you get your bullet, powder and cleaning method all figured out its a piece of cake but not like going out and throwing a shell in a traditional rifle and you are ready to go. Its just the initial work that is the pain. Again once you get it all figured out its pretty easy. The powder pellets sure make it more convenient in the inlines but there are negatives to those as well. I got mine lasy year and was for the most part shooting on average inch and a half groups at 100yds. To maintain consistent groups when using loose black powder you have to get the same amount each time and havethe bullet/sabot pushed down with the same amount of force each time. Its tricky but you can really get those things as accurate as a regular rifle out to 200yds.

Posted By: hunt4food

Re: looking for a muzzloader for my dad - 09/05/11 06:30 PM

email me have pic on Phone: hunt4food@aol.com

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum