Texas Hunting Forum

Be careful in the blind.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Be careful in the blind. - 11/02/09 01:13 PM

Got in the blind Saturday afternoon and ended my hunt in less than 30 seconds. Zipped up the door and went to adjust my chair and the edge of the chair snagged my string and knocked it off the bottom cam. That's what I get for not paying attention! Now I need to find somebody with a press for parallel limbs or some way to compress them without twisting or damaging the limb's, any idea's? Would cabinet clamp's work if I cushion the face of them?

Posted By: passthru

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/02/09 02:33 PM

Never had anything like that happen before. I have partially cut a string with my broadhead once. That was back with the old tear drop connection system. Man times were simpler then. Always kept a spare string set up ready to use. Don't know what to tell you on the clamps though but I will say if I were out hunting and needed my bow I would try it.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/02/09 08:34 PM

I would not try to do it your self. Take it to a shop, if you try and do it your self you could hurt your bow more. I have done some work without a press and I do not recomend it.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/02/09 09:55 PM

As far as I know theres not a bow shop within 100 miles of here.

Posted By: Driller

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/02/09 09:59 PM

man that sucks and I wish I had some good advice

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 12:30 AM

Mike....
I can get it and take it to Chester here in Odessa....He can fix it.....

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 06:52 PM

I am in angelo. If I had my press I would help you out. If you want to ship it to me I would be happy to fix it for free.

Posted By: Estexan07

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 07:06 PM

-Two large nails or bolts
-Place a length of short waterhose over each to protect the bow (or something protective.)
-Ratchet strap connected to each nail/bolt/whichever and put them through the limbs
-Then turn them so they go parallel with the limbs, near the cams.
-Ratchet the strap until it compresses them enough.

I did this once while out at the lease... hours from the nearest shop, and it turned out fine. Just be careful and go slow. I didn't have a parallel limbed bow though, but I figure it would work similar.

Don't know if that makes any sense... I can try to post a picture later if ya want. Someone PLEASE chim in if this is not safe or could harm the bow. I figure it's OK for a one time quick fix, I could be wrong though.

*By nail I mean a BIG nail lol... it's all I had when I needed to do mine.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 08:49 PM

Bad situation, I would find a shop or u rusk damaging your bow? It's ur bow so ur risk, good luck!!

Posted By: Koenig

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 09:43 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...t20080&rid=

Posted By: Estexan07

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 10:06 PM

That thing from cabelas looks kinda like what I was describing.

Here, I made a quick paint drawing, don't be jealous of my paint skills... I know it's awesome.

Green = Nail/Bolt
Red = Ratchet Strap
Gold = Ratchet on ratchet strap..lol
Black = bow
Blue = cam from top view

Use at your own risk... I'm not responsible for broken limbs, bow limbs, eyes, SARS, or unplanned pregnancy. Good luck.

EDIT: Its hard as all hell to ratchet it down.. I had a small ratchet..bigger one might be easier.. I dunno.

Posted By: Fleabiscuit

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/03/09 11:28 PM

We fixed one the way that Estexan07 described at our lease a few weeks ago, worked great.

Just remember, the easy way to release the tension after you are done: don't release the ratchet strap, just draw your bow and the strap comes loose. Have a buddy remove the strap while you are at full draw.

Posted By: dustyh

Re: Be careful in the blind. - 11/05/09 02:29 AM

Did the exact same thing before bow season. I will pay more attention were I set my bow down now for sure.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum