Texas Hunting Forum

Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges

Posted By: bbarron80

Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/11/24 12:30 PM

Will be public land hunting in national forest from a tree. New to archery, hunted last year, never released an arrow. Got a new site and trying to settle on the best ranges. Was going to go 10 yard gaps from 20 to 60. Sounds like would be very difficult for a newb to be proficient at 60 plus their ability to duck. Would it be better to go 5 yard distance and if they are further out, not take a chance on spooking with a miss, and just attempt to set up closer next time?
Posted By: freerange

Re: Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/11/24 02:33 PM

If you do not KNOW your proficiency at distance then you should not shoot at distance, IMO. You will get many opinions but many "experts" do not shoot much over 25 at a target that is worthy of a quick and clean kill.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/11/24 03:08 PM

A modern compound sighted at 20 yards you are about an inch high at 10 so no real need for any pins closer. Pins out to 60 yards I like to have and shoot out to that distance for practice and would take shots that far on some game but not whitetail deer. Shooting longer distances can improve confidence and proficiency at shorter distances. Get good at 60 yards and a 30 yard shot becomes easier. Though I have killed whitetails at 40 yards my personal limit i will shoot them with a bow now is 30 yards, hogs on the other hand do not react most of the time like whitetails often do so I will shoot them at longer ranges.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/17/24 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by kmon11
A modern compound sighted at 20 yards you are about an inch high at 10 so no real need for any pins closer. Pins out to 60 yards I like to have and shoot out to that distance for practice and would take shots that far on some game but not whitetail deer. Shooting longer distances can improve confidence and proficiency at shorter distances. Get good at 60 yards and a 30 yard shot becomes easier. Though I have killed whitetails at 40 yards my personal limit i will shoot them with a bow now is 30 yards, hogs on the other hand do not react most of the time like whitetails often do so I will shoot them at longer ranges.

X2.

I will not take a shot on a whitetail past 30 and even 30 isn't the most comfortable. On Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc....I'll shoot 60-70 yards. Whitetail are just too springy, even with a fast bow. My ideal shot out of a stand on a whitetail is 17-18 yards.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/17/24 11:45 PM

My limit is 30 yards on whitetail. But I prefer 25.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Whitetail national forest 5 pin ranges - 03/17/24 11:48 PM

I've got 5 pins. 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 50 and 60 are used strictly for practice. I won't take a shot at a deer over 40 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum