Texas Hunting Forum

50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting

Posted By: Alpine Hunter

50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting - 02/08/24 09:56 PM

When I was 14 in ‘74 my pop got me a Bear 76er take down recurve bow for hunting. I hunted with it until 78 when I bought my first Jennings T Square compound bow.

I found a Bear 76er on eBay for a $100 bucks, it actually has straight limbs. This one had a red riser and white limbs. I had a buddy Cerakote it to my original 76er with green limbs and a brown riser. The brown he used was much darker almost black than my original but it’s what he had in stock. I think it looks wicked cool! I finally figured out the proper string length. I added the new string & string silencers down the back of the limbs. All I’m waiting on is the leather arrow rest for the riser. I was able to find the old style can't pinch tab I used back then. When they come in, I’ll take it Cabela's and get the right length arrows for it. As a bonus I can actually pull it back. I had rotator cuff surgery a few years back. I believe the draw weight is between 40 to 45 lbs. I'm hoping Cabela's can measure it for me. Back in the 70's I started off with Easton Aluminum arrows and switched to the heavy indestructible Graflex arrows with Razorback 5 broadheads. We didn't understand weight distribution back then, though the setup worked great for me.

This will be a fun project and I hope to hunt with it this fall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: passthru

Re: 50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting - 02/09/24 12:15 AM

Should be just as deadly now as it would have been 50 years ago. It's looking good so far
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: 50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting - 02/09/24 01:59 AM

That is a neat old bow. Now I want one
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting - 02/11/24 04:52 AM

Don’t give up on the aluminum arrows….I shoot 2216 arrows in one of my bear bows. Throws those heavy logs like a dart.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: 50 year old recurve bow is nearly ready for shooting - 02/11/24 04:05 PM

That brings back memories. I lived in Alabama as a kid and shot the same bow in competitions at the Vulcan Archery Club.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum