Texas Hunting Forum

Let's talk BROADHEADS .....

Posted By: J Gage

Let's talk BROADHEADS ..... - 07/23/09 12:08 AM

New to bowhunting... So what type of broadheads do ya'll shoot?

fixed or mechanical?

what broadheads have you shot and liked? why?

what broadheads have you shot and NOT liked? why?

Thanks

Posted By: Koenig

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/23/09 12:41 AM

Muzzy MX4 100g
Hear great things about RAGE 2 blade, may try them this year.

Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/23/09 01:17 AM

i had good luck w/ muzzy in the past, but i am thinking about either trying the G5 montec or magnus snuffer ss. i have read too many mixed reviews about the mechanical types for me to try them. the trophy taker undertaker looks like a good mechanical to try.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/23/09 01:41 AM

G5 Montec exclusively!
HATE RAGE, 2 bade, 3 blade, practice...AL OF THEM!

Will be shooting the new Montec CS this year, supposed to be awesome!

I dont like ANY fixed blade broadheads, tried lots, You can only find what you like by shooting animal and seeing results.

ac!

..lots of slick trick fans on here

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/23/09 02:03 AM

I shoot the G5 Strykers because they are smaller and sharper than the Montechs.
If I had to pick a second it would probably be the slick tricks.
Both of these broadheads are small with the size cutting diameter pretty much.
These are both fixed blades

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/23/09 07:47 PM

I've always used the fixed heads (Slick Tricks); the reason is that they've always flown straight and done sufficient damage to their targets. I've never shot a mechanical, so can't give any legitimate advise on them.

Posted By: james77351

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 06:13 AM

G5 all the way man them thinks hit like a tone of bricks

Posted By: lnester

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 06:18 AM

Another G5 Montec user here. I just got a box of new Montec CS heads and practice heads.

Posted By: cable

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 07:09 AM

I know NOTHING about arrows, but I am going to buy Rage Broadheads when I get my bow- because I love the commercial on The Outdoor Channel where the guy says "It's Like Throwing a Hatchet Thru an Animal." I love it!

Posted By: chouse

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 07:20 AM

Im partial to a fixed blade.
I shoot G5 Montec broadheads, they hit hard, and work great for deer but i cant get good blood on pigs with them.

Posted By: texasbowhunter

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 06:22 PM

I switched to Slick Tricks about 6 years ago and have not looked back. I have shot deer, turkey, and hogs with them and have had nothing but great results.

Posted By: jseago

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/24/09 10:40 PM

There's nothing wrong with rage broadheads! I have been using them for 3 yrs now and have had good results. I did lose a deer...bad shot...i've killed a deer and 3 hogs with one of them, and it's still in my quiver with the same blades and tip. (I did resharpen) Tekans are just as good. I will be using rage though! Slick tricks are good too!

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 06:19 AM

Anybody use the NAP Spitfire mechanical blades?

what did you think?

Posted By: Arrow_Splitter10

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 06:31 AM

If your a first timer DO NOT use mechanicals i personally dont like them at all and im shooting a mathews DXT at 70 pounds the simpler you can keep it the better off you are and the chances of things goin wrong are lowered. Slick Tricks all the way!!!

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 06:50 AM

I am NEW to bow huntin'... Just got a Hoyt ultra sport from a guy here on THF... its set up at 70 pounds, and shootin great with 100 grain field points... So I'm wondering what braodhead to get. I want one that flies straight like my field points.

My dad has killed a lot with the 125gr splitfires and says they fly straight, and open everytime.

Are there any 100gr. fixed broadheads that fly like a field point and leave a good blood trail? slick tricks maybe?

Posted By: 1tex

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 04:47 PM

Ive been shooting Thunderhead 100's for about 25 years now and have never had one fail me.

Posted By: Quailhunter

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 07:25 PM

I'm on my second season using the Rage 2 blade. I love the blood trails. If I am hunting larger animals that require a fixed blade then I shoot the G5 Montec.

The main reason that I switched from the Montec to the Rage is because the Rage flies better at longer distances in my experience and it has a hellacious blood trail.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/26/09 07:53 PM

I will only use two heads. I use 2 blade Rage for everything but if I go on a day hunt that will not allow mechanical heads I use Slick Trick.

I have never had a problem with either head. Both are very sharp and leave a good blood trail. Oh and both shoot just like my field points. No sighting in my broadheads.

Posted By: EastTxHunter1

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/27/09 06:30 AM

I am Gonna try the Rage 3blade this season i think>>>

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/27/09 06:42 PM

guess I'll try the slick tricks... they shoot like a feild point right?

Anybody got a review on the NAP spitfires????

Posted By: passthru

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/27/09 07:36 PM

Not the Spitfires but a few years ago I tried some NAP heads. Let's just say it was a one time purchase. I shoot the Thunderhead 100s and they fly true to my field point sight settings. Any broad head you buy needs to be shot to check that it will though.

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/27/09 08:27 PM

I shoot grime reapers

Posted By: JakeGraves

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/28/09 08:03 PM

Anything has to be better than the crimson talons. I had three blade entry hole and one blade exit. Luckily, I saw before field dressing and did not slice myself.

Posted By: el Compadre

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/28/09 09:38 PM

How bout the new Bloodrunners by NAP? Anyone try those yet?

Posted By: Bweger

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/28/09 10:28 PM

Quote:

G5 Montec exclusively!

I dont like ANY fixed blade broadheads, tried lots, You can only find what you like by shooting animal and seeing results.

ac!

I am confused. You stated you shoot G5 Montecs exclusively but then you say you dont trust any fixed blade broadhead.
Montecs are fixed blade heads. Not tryin to be a smart** just confused by your post.

Posted By: Quailhunter

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 07/29/09 04:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

G5 Montec exclusively!

ac!

I am confused. You stated you shoot G5 Montecs exclusively but then you say you dont trust any fixed blade broadhead.
Montecs are fixed blade heads. Not tryin to be a smart** just confused by your post.

I saw that too.

Posted By: 74bronco

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/23/09 03:21 AM

Fixed: most bows shoot muzzy,g-5,thunderheads,Ive tried 10 15 different types gets costly, currently Magnus 20$ for 3 in the off season/pre Balaanced lifetime warrenty/spin checked Magnus buzzcut and wasp sst. but you have to shoot/practice with each. To determine which one/// thell all kill///

Posted By: Aerosmith

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/25/09 01:20 AM

the only broadhead i have ever used is the thunderhead 125, they don't call them bone crushers for nothing.

Posted By: bigbuckboy

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/25/09 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
G5 Montec exclusively!

ac!

he meant to say mechanical

Posted By: basscast

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/26/09 03:50 AM

G5 strikers, fly just like field points, seem pretty durable.

Posted By: texaschef

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/26/09 08:04 PM

is anyone going to try the Atom razorwire broadhead? i bought them and they do fly like my field tips, but i have no clue what they are going to do to the deer.

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/26/09 09:08 PM

my roommate has them, he shot at an armadillo to test it...missed...and the razor wire is demolished, also bent the cuttin tip.

I do NOT think these will hold up. I have seen a few broadheads nail a shoulder and seen the results..this razorwire seems doomed!

ac

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/26/09 09:09 PM

pretty clear i meant to say mechanical/expandable in my original post...

Posted By: SSG Littleford

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/26/09 11:15 PM

I am glad I found this Thread because I had the same Questions!!! Thanks Everyone

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS ..... - 08/31/09 01:40 PM

Wenzel Woodsman.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/31/09 05:17 PM

x2

Fixed only for me and so far Muzzy 100 Gr. three blade. Might try something else next year but sticking with these until I shoot them all up.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/31/09 05:26 PM

All I have shot are 100 grain shuttle T's. As advertised they fly just like a field tip, and have produced masive amounts of blood on every animal I have taken with them, that said I have only taken three a deer and two pigs.

matt

Posted By: Boomhauer

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/31/09 07:20 PM

Hey guys long time lurker 1st time poster. I recently had the idea I would start hunting again. I have a Hoyt Deviator that I have not shot in 6 years so I pulled her out and dusted the dust off.

I use to use mechanical 100 grain tips but the Magnus 3 blade Buzzcut's have caught my eye. What are the opinions on these. How true do they fly compared to a field point?

Robby

Posted By: passthru

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 08/31/09 11:26 PM

I got nothin' confused

Posted By: killemall

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS................ - 09/02/09 12:30 AM

Mechanicals fly about as close to field tips as possible. I also like the american broadheads. Muzzys and the like need some practice time and adjustment. I think I am shooting rage this year. I like keeping same setup. In the past I shift to broadheads from field tips a few weeks out and shoot nothing but during the season. My gripe with the fixed blades is only past 30 yards. If I could get nothing but 20 yard shots I would never touch a mechanical.

Posted By: djones

Re: Let's talk BROADHEADS ..... - 09/02/09 12:47 AM

Don’t know if you can tell how big the exit hole is in the close hog, but I’ve always been impressed at the damage from the old Muzzy three blades. I like them because you get six to a package for nearly the same price as three of any others. You also get practice blades which I use a lot. Don’t know if my bow is exactly tuned or not, but I get good groups with field points and broadheads, just not the same point of impact. I can resharpen them or replace them if damaged. That said, I’m still considering the slick tricks just to see if they fly to the same point of impact as field points.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum