Texas Hunting Forum

Crossbow Recommendation

Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Crossbow Recommendation - 07/14/15 12:27 AM

Looking to spend about $400. Will use on deer and possibly hogs. Was thinking about this barnett bow. Is it a pretty good one? what fps is needed for deer or hogs?

http://www.basspro.com/Barnett-Raptor-FX-Crossbow-Package/product/14030410012910/
Posted By: rjd

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 07/14/15 02:58 AM

My recommendation is that you go to Bass Pro or any shop in your area and check out the different bows. We are all different, and what works for me may not be a good fit for you. As with most things, you pretty much get what you pay for.

There is no magic figure on fps. Folks have been shooting deer and hogs for years with longbows putting out arrows at less than 200 fps. Get a good bow, quality arrows and good broadheads. Put the shot in the right place, and you should have a dead animal.

I personally shot a recurve crossbow as that fit my needs and style best. Your needs and wants may be different.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 07/19/15 12:27 AM

Beg, borrow or steal extra $$ and buy my Excalibur I posted this morning. smile
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/21/15 01:50 AM

Wicked Ridge is a good economy crossbow. Sister company to Ten Point.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/21/15 11:07 PM

Wickedridge or Parker. With Parker you get a lifetime warranty.

I would stay away from that model Barnett, too many string and trigger issues
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/22/15 09:32 PM

Due to a screwed up shoulder my 40 years of archery was put on hold for this season. So I spent time looking at reviews of crossbows and trying to determine best buy!!!!Several reviews have defined the Barnett Jackal as the best value at the best price. I purchased one 3 weeks ago from Walmart on line. list is 350.00 on sale for 252.00 as kit. Have sighted in up to 25 yards it shoots flat from 10 yards to 25 yards and has been grouping at 2". Speed is defined at 310 fps and energy is 90 foot #'s. I am confident at this point that I made a great choice.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/23/15 02:02 AM

My grandpa loves his Excalibur
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/27/15 03:00 PM

Kodabow
Posted By: rjd

Re: Crossbow Recommendation - 08/28/15 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Kodabow

How do you like the Scout? I have the Bravo Zulu, and have thought hard about getting the Scout kit. Little thing called money has kept me from it. The Bravo is a bigger bow, but all the Koda's are great.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum