Texas Hunting Forum

Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss

Posted By: BadLander

Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 12:19 AM

Watched a doe eat for a good 30 minutes,She never looked around or acted odd but I kno this time of year she shouldn't be alone!
Then finally she looks over my left shoulder! And BAMM he walks in from my left, nose in the air barreling forward! I never had time to grunt or nothing .she was now staring at him wich means I'm right over his back ! She finally puts her head down! I draw put the lowest pin I have wich is 10! On his heart and wifffff right over his back!
I NEED THERAPY!!!!!!!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 12:56 AM

When shooting up extremely close you need to use your 30 or 40 yard pin. I know it seems strange but under 5 yards is different and you really need to practice that to make sure its right for your set up. Sorry it happened. Maybe you'll get another shot at him.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 01:38 AM

You also have a tendency to shoot high if you were elevated in a stand.

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 02:01 AM

No sir first time I've ever hunted out of a ground blind ! Needless to say the north wind and scent less gear I had on I had a few deer with in 15 yards! Nothing like ground level gonna be hard to climb back in a stand ! I did grunt him back in within 25 yards just never offered a shot! So waited till dark and backed out! I found a good trail! And found the thickest tree/brush and cut from the inside and just made myself a big hole! Left and right trail views!
Posted By: Luke27

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 02:07 AM

Hope you get another shot on him soon!
Posted By: aggielandman

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 04:59 PM

Better luck next time!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
When shooting up extremely close you need to use your 30 or 40 yard pin. I know it seems strange but under 5 yards is different and you really need to practice that to make sure its right for your set up. Sorry it happened. Maybe you'll get another shot at him.

If the 10 yd pin shot high, how is shooting even higher going to help? Sounds to me like he just muffed the shot. We've all done it.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/12/14 08:23 PM

Maybe, but go shoot at your target at 5 yards or less and see where you hit.

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/13/14 02:54 AM

Well the moral of the story is my shooting lane is clear as I look out! But when I look from the outside in there are vines! So when I look thru my peep sight I see clear shot BUT my arrow is what a good 4 inches lower! I'm just thinking my arrow caught some vegetation! I came home sat in a similar chair and shot with my 10 from 7 /10 yards and I was dead on!!!!!!!
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/13/14 04:14 AM

Did you hit a limb. Sometimes in the excitement don't notice those suckers.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/18/14 03:32 AM

Sux. Good luck next time!
Posted By: DCtheRev

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/18/14 04:10 PM

Better luck next time, hopefully you get another chance at him.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Recovering from 10 point, 7 yard miss - 11/22/14 09:57 PM

Man good luck on a second shot
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum