Texas Hunting Forum

Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up:

Posted By: TxDispatcher

Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 02:18 AM

Well after 2 years of coming up short, I finally connected this evening. I've only been able to hunt 3 evenings this year due to a rib cracking cough the first week and a half of bow season, so Mon & Tues I sat and saw nothing but pigs. They never came closer than 75 yards, so I didn't get a shot.

This evening I saw 4 doe and 2 fawns. At 5:30, 2 doe wandered into the feeder and I watched them for 15-20 minutes. The cows came down to the fence, and the deer started acting skittish and moved out a ways. At 5:55, they came back in to the corn and went to town. I waited for a quartering away shot, and let the Rage fly.

Shot was higher than I had figured and slightly back from where I needed it to be, so I panicked lol444 25' up is a little bit higher than I had practiced from, and I was a little unprepared for the difference in the angle. I had to calm myself down. I started texting my buddy and he said to chill out, and wait. At 7:00, I climbed down and picked up my arrow. Nice blood, he said more than likely a liver shot. Either way, I panicked over nothing grin about 60 yards around the tree line, she was piled up waiting on me up

Let me say that even though I THOUGHT I was addicted to bowhunting just from the few missed shots over the last 2 years, there was nothing like seeing that white belly when I rounded the trees. Here's a pic of the blood on arrow to get any opinions on the shot. I just had to share with everyone that the monkey is off my back up

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 02:22 AM

Sweet! Doesn't sound like any liver to me!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 03:34 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 03:39 AM

Awesome!!!! Hard to explain, but all you will want to do is do it again up

When you cleaned it, did you check to see what vital it hit for future reference?
Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 04:45 AM

Congrats. I no that felling very well it gets better every time. That first one is awesome. Nice job.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Awesome!!!! Hard to explain, but all you will want to do is do it again up

When you cleaned it, did you check to see what vital it hit for future reference?

Yes, I caught high lung and clipped the liver. It wasn't as bad as I had feared when I watched the arrow pass through after the release, but I'll say this...I would have kicked myself big time if I would have had to track her. I watched blood spurt from both entrance and exit when she jumped and took off, but the blood loss was contained inside due to the high wound path. But it wasn't due to the Rage, that 2 blade did some serious damage eeks333

I know this much, I'll be climbing on TOP of the barn instead of practicing from the loft. That angle from 25' up was a lot different than the 12-13' I'd practiced from. I didn't think it would be so different, but boy was I wrong. I knew I needed to shoot from elevated position with the change from the ground blind to the ladder stand this year, just wasn't ready for the drastic difference judgement wise. Live and learn I suppose
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 01:13 PM

Congrats, hope I get to join the club this weekend!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Congrats, hope I get to join the club this weekend!

Me too, going out this weekend for the first time with the bow. Hoping the weather change has the deer moving.

Congrats on the first deer! Good to get that monkey off your back!
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 03:10 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: basschsr

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/10/14 08:15 PM

Congrats! looks like she's been eating good
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/11/14 04:00 AM

Congrats
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Finally broke the ice, so to speak :up: - 10/11/14 04:47 AM

Great job man. A rush you will be addicted to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum