Texas Hunting Forum

I let myself down

Posted By: Nivlac

I let myself down - 09/29/14 01:32 AM

Opening day Saturday morning I had worked up quite a sweat getting out to my spot and up the tree. I decided to pour some doe urine down the tree as a cover scent. About 30 minutes later a huge monster buck came crashing through the bushes, strait to my area at full speed. I leaned forward and raised my bow but he turned around and ran back the way he came without stopping. I'm pretty sure that my movement caught his attention. I was wearing a leafy suit and mask but it made some noise on the back of the treestand cushion when I leaned forward. If only I would have just been more patient. This is on public land so I'm afraid I may have missed a huge opportunity for my first bow kill. Also kinda surprised that he would be chasing girls this early.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: I let myself down - 09/29/14 02:29 AM

Won't be the last let down. Doe scented me opening morning, didn't blow just left in a hurry. I saw a fawn full spots on the teet. Seen ton of new fawns late this year...
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: I let myself down - 09/29/14 02:37 AM

It happens brotha! We have been seeing a ton of new fawns late this year too
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: I let myself down - 09/29/14 04:40 AM

I wouldn't beat yourself up over that. If you rushed and took a bad shot and left him wounded, then start hitting yourself. He'll be back.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I let myself down - 09/29/14 04:59 AM

It happens, the excitement gets the best of us all at one time or another. At least you know where he is, keep at it up
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I let myself down - 10/01/14 01:07 PM

Stuff happens. I let the biggest buck I have ever seen walk straight past me during rifle season a few years ago. Thought I didn't have a shot, probably did though, who knows. Sucked.
Posted By: Oakysmoker

Re: I let myself down - 10/04/14 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
Stuff happens. I let the biggest buck I have ever seen walk straight past me during rifle season a few years ago. Thought I didn't have a shot, probably did though, who knows. Sucked.

Last season's opener I did exactly the same thing. Sitting in a ground blind with a .270 I had sighted out to 150yds. Next thing I know, just as the whole ground was gold with daybreak a huge buck, I named 'Prime Tine' crossed briskly from left to right .....10 yards in front of my blind. I had two...maybe three seconds and he was gone. What I wouldn't have given for a 30-30 with iron sights. Some say I should have just did a point and click at that range. But honestly, how you take a really nice deer means as much to me as the deer. It was truly majestic and I just couldn't go gangsta on it.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: I let myself down - 10/05/14 01:06 PM

Hard to say what spooked him deer are very unpredictable. I've been hunting all week, Friday I moved to my gun feeder and made a ground blind fifty or sixty yards from the feeder, about 5:30 two (non-shooter) bucks walked five yards from me with strong wind from the north they came from the south, I was sure I'd get busted. They went to the feeder and I watched them for five minutes or so, then I let them see enough of my upper body to see how they would react. I didn't move, just sat still, one was curious, he would look and then eat then quickly look back up, then his ears perked up, then a bite. After a few minutes he wandered off into some cover, shortly there after the other followed him, but the second buck was never alarmed.

Don't blame yourself; you never know what cause him to dart off. I've coughed 20 yards from a buck and he never took off, yet I've drawn on deer that weren't facing me and they took off like a Obama on a lie detector.

Sometimes a cover scent is not what is conducive to that particular area and can actually cause more harm that good. I doubt that the scent stimulated his desire; too early in the season. I guarantee if he was that big of a buck he KNOWS exactly what is going on in that area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum