Texas Hunting Forum

Shoot or pass?

Posted By: fishingWOT

Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 06:00 PM

New to bow hunting, and rookie at deer hunting in general and am trying to get a better understanding of the "management" mentality. Would you guys take this buck tomorrow if presented the opportunity? And why?

Untitled by Photography by Daniel Rodriguez, on Flickr
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 06:22 PM

Yes... because I was bow hunting... yes because hes prolly 3 and a decent 8... yes because I was new to bow hunting... yes because hes coming to a feeder during day light... I could do this all day...
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 06:25 PM

That's a decision you gota make though... if you need a lot of bucks and wanting to get strict on management then get you some doe...and he will be bigger next year... if he makes it to then... BUT really hes a pretty decent buck to take with a bow for the first time... you should see the dink I shot when I was 13 for my first bow kill ... he could have been a giant 180 ten and I would have been just as excited...
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 06:33 PM

If you hunt a place where you do not have to worry about neighbors killing him I would pass. But if he is coming to your feeder during the day and you have close neightbors he is gong to their feeder too so I would drop him.
Posted By: RUM Mann

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 07:02 PM

If it would be your first time to kill with a bow I say shoot the first legal deer that walks by
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 07:11 PM

I am all for management and letting deer grow, but dude...whack em if you like em!!!! New to hunting, new to shooting a bow, go out and enjoy it. Plenty of time to learn and manage. That one deer isn't going to make or break the quality of your herd.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I am all for management and letting deer grow, but dude...whack em if you like em!!!! New to hunting, new to shooting a bow, go out and enjoy it. Plenty of time to learn and manage. That one deer isn't going to make or break the quality of your herd.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Good Advice^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 10:26 PM

Thanks man, pretty much what I was leaning towards. He's a gorgeous buck, and hopefully he'll walk in front of my bow in the morning! Thanks for the replies everyone
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: fishingWOT

Thanks man, pretty much what I was leaning towards. He's a gorgeous buck, and hopefully he'll walk in front of my bow in the morning! Thanks for the replies everyone

cheers Don't forget to post up some pics!!!

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/26/14 10:55 PM

Absolutely! @txshntr
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 05:04 AM

If you like him, take the shot!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 11:41 AM

I would pass and wait for the freak rack in the next pic. It is more mature and has great character. You can also use it for your spike since it has one unbranched antler. JMO.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Booner1
I would pass and wait for the freak rack in the next pic. It is more mature and has great character. You can also use it for your spike since it has one unbranched antler. JMO.
woah, I hadn't looked at the other picture. What a toad!
Posted By: decook

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Yes... because I was bow hunting... yes because hes prolly 3 and a decent 8... yes because I was new to bow hunting... yes because hes coming to a feeder during day light... I could do this all day...

And you'd still be right all day long. Here's another; we could make it a "keep it going" thread happy3

* Yes, cause you might not ever get another chance at him
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 04:46 PM

Absolutely shoot him for all the reasons stated above..and good luck.

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 06:17 PM

Yeah I want that spike! Different location though and that's the only time I've seen him
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/27/14 07:23 PM

Shoot
Posted By: passthru

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/29/14 01:53 PM

I would in your situation. For myself no but that is because I've killed a couple and my sights are set a little higher now. Early in my bowhunting career that would have been a monster and I wouldn't have cared what "management" called for. I would have slung an arrow.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Shoot or pass? - 09/29/14 06:46 PM

I agree with everyone else...Choot em, choot em.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Shoot or pass? - 10/06/14 10:28 PM

If any legal dear presents a shot for you, My advice is to shoot before hyperventilation sets in...
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Shoot or pass? - 10/07/14 03:52 PM

That's a great looking deer but the bottom line is the only person that needs to be happy with your decision to take any animal is you. Good luck to you!

Re: Shoot or pass? - 10/07/14 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone! Thats more or less the mindset I was going with, but wanted to engage some dialoge so I can learn. I saw him a couple times opening weekend but never within bow range and havent seen him since, still have not taken a deer but I'll be back out there this Thursday! Havent gotten anything with my boy yet and am already addicted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum