Texas Hunting Forum

Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll

Posted By: JThoele

Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 06:57 PM

First attempt at a THF poll. With season closing in quick, and the inevitable posts members make looking for advice on what broadhead to use for the upcoming season, I figured we could address and show results for what members use on here. Thus I wanted to poll the THF archery hunting population for their preference and use of fixed, mechanical, or an equal use of both. Please submit your answer into the poll so we can see the results from as large population as possible. Of course in the comment section one can go into detail for their choice. Thanks.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 07:20 PM

I use both... But more and more just mechanicals. I keep both in my quiver.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 09:06 PM

Fixed only way to go.
Posted By: txhuntingguide

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 09:58 PM

Mechanical only way to go.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 10:43 PM

Watch em drop with Grim Reapers. Not the only way to go - just the best. roflmao

Posted By: bphillips

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 08/31/14 11:23 PM

Mechs for animals up to elk size with my setup and fixed for anything big
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 01:28 AM

Rage hypodermics
Posted By: Bowtech kid

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 02:50 AM

Fixed G5
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 03:03 AM

I mostly shoot fixed 125 grain slick trick magnums, but I don't hunt whitetail all that often. I'd have no problem shooting a big cutting expandable at a whitetail. But when hunting things tougher, like African game or exotics, it's always fixed for me.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 12:06 PM

Mechanicals; no moving parts!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 07:54 PM

I shoot 2" grim reapers for deer. They make such a large hole and fly perfectly. Now for pigs, I'll shoot what ever is on sale. I have some hellrazors I'm going to sling at the pigs and some grim reaper hog heads.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/01/14 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I use both... But more and more just mechanicals. I keep both in my quiver.

^^^^^^^^
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/02/14 01:52 PM

usually use reapers... hit closer to my field point location. But this year we have shoot through mesh sooo I'm going slick tricks
Posted By: Topshot

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/02/14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

???
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/02/14 04:10 PM

Mechanicals...but mine have moving parts grin

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/02/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
usually use reapers... hit closer to my field point location. But this year we have shoot through mesh sooo I'm going slick tricks

That brings me to another question, who shoots they their pop up mesh?
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/02/14 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Topshot
Originally Posted By: bjankowski

???

Well I'm old; I need to start proof reading.... confused2

Fixed is mo betta for me, but they all do the job, just a preference.
Posted By: Blood Trail

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/04/14 12:56 AM

Just read an article on a 10 year study where the recovery rate for deer shoot with a mech was over 90% while fixed heads was far lower.... around 84-85%. I got the mag in here some where.

Anyway, i shoot more mechs than fixed.
Posted By: bw-n-alvin

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/04/14 01:23 PM

I shot fixed for about 25 years, until last year. I switched to Rage 2"+, and put my muzzy's in the closet. I shot 3 deer & 2 pigs, four of them died in sight, one ran about 100 yds spraying lung blood 3' from each side. My 7 year old blood trailed her easily. Never had results like that from any fixed blade. I've only lost one bowshot deer in my life , and that was my fault. So fixed blades definitely work, but I'm hooked on the extremely short bloody blood trails I get with the larger cut.

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/05/14 12:38 AM

Tried some QAD Exodus swept blades tonight and they shoot EXACTLY like my field points, in fact when shot to same 30 yard point of aim, I ended up shearing off two fletchings and rubbing the shaft of the field point arrow. Knew better than to shoot same point of aim, but was just curious on consistency. Anyways, they look good, shoot good, and hopefully will zip thru a couple deer this year with good results.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/05/14 12:40 AM

Those are good tough heads up
Posted By: HelmCrusher

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/05/14 08:52 PM

I love my mechanicals, NAP BLOODRUNNERS aim, but I hate and despise any mechanical broad head that requires those stupid rubber bands realmad. Looking to try out the TOXICS fixed broadhead that came out last year any one have any knowledge with these?

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/05/14 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HelmCrusher
I love my mechanicals, NAP BLOODRUNNERS aim, but I hate and despise any mechanical broad head that requires those stupid rubber bands realmad. Looking to try out the TOXICS fixed broadhead that came out last year any one have any knowledge with these?

I have nothing good to say about Toxic BH's from the personal experience of everyone I know that have used them. Gimmick and good marketing that sold well, but nothing reputable and reliable IMO
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/05/14 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
Originally Posted By: HelmCrusher

I have nothing good to say about Toxic BH's from the personal experience of everyone I know that have used them. Gimmick and good marketing that sold well, but nothing reputable and reliable IMO

just looking at them, they do not look right.

I'm a big fan of the rocket sidewinders.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/06/14 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
Tried some QAD Exodus swept blades tonight and they shoot EXACTLY like my field points, in fact when shot to same 30 yard point of aim, I ended up shearing off two fletchings and rubbing the shaft of the field point arrow. Knew better than to shoot same point of aim, but was just curious on consistency. Anyways, they look good, shoot good, and hopefully will zip thru a couple deer this year with good results.

Shoot broadhead first hammer

They do shoot well if the bow is tuned and a nice head
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/06/14 04:00 PM

Shot the mechanical last year, moving to G5's this year but I will have both ready in the quiver.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Fixed Vs Mechanical broadhead Poll - 09/07/14 12:27 AM

Mechs duplicate field points a little better... For me anyway.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum