Texas Hunting Forum

Best fixed blade broadhead?

Posted By: Booner1

Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 09:31 AM

After shooting a Rage 2 blade mechanical, I want to try a fixed blade head. I haven't shot a fixed blade in a lot of years. I will only be shooting deer unless a hog happens to wonder by. I will be hunting a archery only area and need to take full advantage of any shot opportunity that may present itself. Thanks for your help and any advice that you may have.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 10:00 AM

Grim Reaper Hades is a great fixed blade. But if you what to take advantage of every opportunity shot a Grim Reaper expandable and watch em drop.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 12:32 PM

I picked up some Montec G5's yesterday and they hit exactly where my FP's were hitting. Can't wait to hunt with them this year.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 02:44 PM

SLICK TRICK has my vote
Posted By: BobsBullet

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 04:23 PM

I shot the Montec G5's the last two seasons, and I don't like them.
They are accurate as they come, but with two near perfect shot placements, I still had little to no blood trail to follow.
I am going to try the new Rage Hypodermic's this season.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 04:58 PM

I'm in the same boat, ended up going with Slick Tricks... Nothing but good reviews on them.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 05:02 PM

Hartcraft or SlickTrick
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 05:45 PM

i shoot slick trick magnums when i am using fixed blades. mostly i shoot rages. i plan on getting some DRT broadheads to start testing them before we go to africa next year.
Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 06:18 PM

When I shoot fixed blades I use G5 Montec's. The Carbon steel version. They are great broadheads.
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/27/14 11:23 PM

Muzzy
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/28/14 12:22 AM

We all have our favorites it's all about shot placement. Heck you can kill a deer with a field point if you put it in the right place. There's no compensating for a bad shot. Most broad heads on the market today will do the job, all you have to do is put it where it belongs.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/28/14 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
We all have our favorites it's all about shot placement. Heck you can kill a deer with a field point if you put it in the right place. There's no compensating for a bad shot. Most broad heads on the market today will do the job, all you have to do is put it where it belongs.

Feild points, check! up

If only I trusted my aim to try that one tho. realmad
Posted By: cmc

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 12:54 AM

I never understood the statements of slick trick is better than montec because I shot a deer with montec and couldn't find it. This is not aimed at anyone in particular but could someone explain how a montec with one inch cut is any different than a slick trick with one inch cut if they are both sharp? A one inch hole is a one inch hole period.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon82
Muzzy

yep muzzy 4 blade for me, BAD TO THE BONE.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 02:51 PM

I mainly use Montec's. I have used Slick Tricks and I like them a lot too. The reason that I went with the Montec over the ST's is because I dont have to put them together. I also use Grim Reapers and Rage. I have a wide variety of BHs and I agree with the above statement that they all work as long as the shot placement is correct.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
Originally Posted By: Brandon82
Muzzy

yep muzzy 4 blade for me, BAD TO THE BONE.
Posted By: D.Ray

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
I never understood the statements of slick trick is better than montec because I shot a deer with montec and couldn't find it. This is not aimed at anyone in particular but could someone explain how a montec with one inch cut is any different than a slick trick with one inch cut if they are both sharp? A one inch hole is a one inch hole period.

Slick tricks have 4 blades Montecs have 3 - Montec is cut on contact....2 differences. I shot both the rage and ST the last 4 years... Both will certainly get the job done and fly great. I did have concerns with my penetration with the ST but never lost an animal. I had a couple of mishaps with the rages that made me loose my confidence in them. I now have Montecs and VPAs in my quiver.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 08/29/14 03:26 PM

After much consideration and deliberation I picked up a couple of packs of the G5 Montec CS broadheads last night. Taking into account about half like the heads, they were on sale for $34.98(instead of $39.99)and they have a practice head to match. Hoping for a good outcome in the field this year. I probably won't get to many chances and I want to make them count. Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 09/03/14 02:36 PM

Slick trick. Sharpest, truest flying, non-plaining broad head I have ever used. I've shot muzzy, rage, and a few cheaper brands when getting started. Slick trick is the absolute best. Notice their lack of over the top gimmicks, advertising, and packaging. Those things are simply not needed to sell a broad head that really works well. You will not be disappointed with them. Just be careful installing the blades because they are crazy sharp.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 09/03/14 05:58 PM

I have tried others, but always go back to Magnus buzzcuts and have a great history of success with them.
Posted By: team tejas

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 09/07/14 04:00 PM

Muzzy 3 blade
Posted By: bkj

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 09/07/14 05:11 PM

Slick tricks
Posted By: TX Hntr

Re: Best fixed blade broadhead? - 09/09/14 12:51 AM

Slick Tricks!!
8th year in a row. Lots of animals with them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum