Texas Hunting Forum

Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father - 08/25/14 10:12 PM

My son wants to bow hunt a little this year, he has been practicing and working to get in shooting shape.

Recently bought a tripod for two people, will be about 11.5-12 feet from seat to ground with a shooting rail all around it, which I have no thoughts of him using (obviously) but my question is about harnesses. With a tripod set up somewhere close to trees but not an actual tree stand, is there any use for a harness and safety line? Do those who hunt out of tripods use a safety harness/line?

Here's to a good season and let's hope it cools off a little before it starts!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father - 08/25/14 10:24 PM

I've never used a harness on a tripod. I shoot sitting down. But it sounds like you could use one if you set it up next to a tree.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father - 08/25/14 10:29 PM

I plan to get the tripod set up around mid September, a little later than I wanted but my schedule doesn't allow any earlier. I plan on having him shoot sitting down and he is easily able to draw sitting as well as standing, some should be good to go sitting. Once it is set up, I will take him out for some practice from the stand. Don't know how close to trees we really will be, but I plan on trying to get closer to a bunch of trees with the tripod.
Posted By: redseal

Re: Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father - 08/25/14 10:45 PM

Most tripods could not stand the weight of a man falling 6 feet and suddenly stopping in my opinion, but your's may be heavy duty. Saying that I would not use one unless I could tie off to a sturdy tree, it's better to fall 11 feet with out pulling a tripod down on you in my opinion.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Couple questions for a newbie bowhunter's father - 08/26/14 12:51 AM

If his feet are that far off the ground you need to put a harness on him. You too for that matter. Do you think he (or you) might fall a sleep?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum