Texas Hunting Forum

How early for a morning sit?

Posted By: Curtis

How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 10:50 AM

How much time before sunrise will you go out for a morning sit for a whitetail hunt? 1 hour? 2 hours? Just curious. I'm used to going out one hour before and I have been thinking about possibly going earlier.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 12:55 PM

An hour depending on where I'm at and who I'm hunting with and the weather. Two hours is too long for me to sit in a ground blind, I don't mind that long in my rifle stand because I have a heater, a recliner and a place to go if nature calls. walking
Posted By: jshouse

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 01:29 PM

I generally get there at least an hour before, but the pics are telling me to get there earlier this year, so I will. I will probably end up in the stand by 430 or so, and hopefully it will only be for opening morning.
Posted By: James Rains

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 04:45 PM

Depends on moon for me if full moon I'd rather hunt from 10-2 most deer movements during this time are while I'm in stand and still dark or as I was walking back to truck. Any other moon phase at least 30 mins before shooting light.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 05:12 PM

Guess I'm different, but I also know the deer I hunt, so I get in my stand just a few minutes before day break. Most of the time, deer don't show up till after 8. Just don't see no need of sitting in the dark for an hour, then another 2 in the daylight before the deer move.
Posted By: passthru

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 05:34 PM

About 30 minutes before shooting light. Which in most places is an hour before sunrise. I like to get in, settle in and listen and smell. That can tell you alot about what's around you in the woods.
Posted By: GLC

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 06:29 PM

I normally get out an hour before daylight. I get out before the other hunters leave out of camp. normally sit till 10 or 11 when activity stops.
Posted By: Blank

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 06:48 PM

Public land hunts, one hour before daylight and we sneak in and out.

At the deer lease, the feeders go off just before daylight so 30 minutes before and I walk in. If we're driving a vehicle by the stands and dropping people off then one hour before.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 07:22 PM

1.5 hours in the morning, usually between 1:30 and 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
About 30 minutes before shooting light. Which in most places is an hour before sunrise. I like to get in, settle in and listen and smell. That can tell you alot about what's around you in the woods.

This and deer eyes have hard time adjusting to the new incoming daylight. To early and they'll easily see you.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 08:13 PM

Depends where I am at. Typically about 30-45 minutes before shooting light.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 08:16 PM

Usually an hour before legal shooting light.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/24/14 09:48 PM

At the ranch, if I can get dropped off, I'll be in there 10 min before light.

If I have to walk in, 30 min
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/25/14 01:07 AM

Quote:

This is me. If I can walk in without using a light I like to. Seems to me I spook fewer deer walking in without a light.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/25/14 02:33 AM

30 minutes for me, but there is one stand that no matter how early I got there I always blow deer of the feeder, I stopped hunting that one in the morning, it's just off a big food plot, the deer will eat in the field all night then stroll over to the feeder about an hour or two before light and eat the corn from the night before. They leave before the feeder goes off and don't return until the night hunt. I can't figure it out it's the only stand this happens on???
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: How early for a morning sit? - 08/25/14 03:30 AM

All this talk about walking to the stand sure has me all riled up for deer season dang it! I can't wait!

And I don't even have a hunt nailed down yet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum