Texas Hunting Forum

broadheads for recurve?

Posted By: Bubba270

broadheads for recurve? - 08/18/14 09:16 PM

I am going to be hunting with a recurve this year. I have never bow hunted before so saying I am new is an understatment. Would fixed or mechanical be the way to go when shooting a recurve?
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/18/14 10:11 PM

If you are using a recurve I'd suggest a fixed blade. There are lot's of good ones...pick a cut on contact broadhead.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/19/14 04:03 AM

^^^^^^^

What he said. I like Montechs but have used the Bear heads that are a lot like magnus stingers which would work very well
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/19/14 11:45 AM

Traditional is a complete difference from compounds. Trad's are a lot slower so penetration has to be compensated by weight. Whatever you do don't chose cheap carbon arrows that are light and broad heads.
Zwickey's are awesome broad heads; they come in just about any weight you want. I have one bow that I use with Zwickeys and the other bow I shoot are 200gn phantoms.
I prefer to have my arrow broad head combination around 600gn.

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/20/14 05:32 PM

Ok thanks. That helps alot.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/23/14 04:31 AM

Look at any of the broadheads made by Alaska Bow hunting Supply! Trust me there is nothing better on the market. yes they cost a bit more but they perform amazing and last along time. took 13 big game animals with the same broadhead and arrow before I lost it. Alaskabowhunting.com

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/23/14 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81
Look at any of the broadheads made by Alaska Bow hunting Supply! Trust me there is nothing better on the market. yes they cost a bit more but they perform amazing and last along time. took 13 big game animals with the same broadhead and arrow before I lost it. Alaskabowhunting.com

No doubt they are the best however at $30.00 each the average hunter won't spend that kind of money. I'll have to stick with 200gn Muzzy Phantoms or 160gn zwickeys. They've both have proven to be the choice of trad hunters for years, and haven't let me down in my 50+ years of bow hunting.
There's a fellow in Australia that also forges broad heads with the .070 thickness like the Alaska broad head and I think they are about $40.00 each. My Australian hunting buddy introduced them to me, and has the contact for the maker but he does have a long waiting list... I'm not worried about the money, I can afford to spend $100.00 on a broad head if I want, to me it's just over kill when I trust my Muzzy's and Zwickey's.

Your right Outdoorsman81, they are a heck of a broad head.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/25/14 03:58 AM

I agree with the concern for price. However I took 13 of my 20+ big game animals last year with the same broad head and same arrow before I lost it on a pass through. With that being said I think they are worth the cost and will save people money in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 08/25/14 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81
I agree with the concern for price. However I took 13 of my 20+ big game animals last year with the same broad head and same arrow before I lost it on a pass through. With that being said I think they are worth the cost and will save people money in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Not to argue with you Bubba; but so have I with my 200gn Muzzy's.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/28/14 07:49 PM

Magnus II or Wensel Woodsman
Posted By: gtowncowboy

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/28/14 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bubba270
I am going to be hunting with a recurve this year. I have never bow hunted before so saying I am new is an understatment. Would fixed or mechanical be the way to go when shooting a recurve?

I am in exactly the same situation. so thanks to you and all contributors to this thread! Ive never shot a "trophy" animal. my biggest wt was 130" 6 year old 8pt on my cousins south tx ranch. I was happy about that rack but what i was more happy about was that it took 3 grown men to load him in the truck. I hunt for the hunt, the harvest, and conquering the elements without the use of feeders, decoys, or attractants. Ive cherished getting close to my deer but have never challenged myself to use stick and string till this year. i want to further my survivalist skillset by learning traditional archery.

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/28/14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: gtowncowboy
[quote=Bubba270] i want to further my survivalist skillset by learning traditional archery.

You'll never be the same; traditional is the big leagues. I'll never shoot another bow with training wheels ever again. Welcome to the addiction, where you never stop buying bow. roflmao
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/28/14 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: gtowncowboy
[quote=Bubba270] i want to further my survivalist skillset by learning traditional archery.

You'll never be the same; traditional is the big leagues. I'll never shoot another bow with training wheels ever again. Welcome to the addiction, where you never stop buying bow. roflmao

Hey, easy on the training wheel comments old dude!
Posted By: gtowncowboy

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/29/14 12:19 AM

haha yall are funny
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/29/14 05:10 AM

Zwickey or die!!!

Re: broadheads for recurve? - 10/29/14 05:57 AM

Well I settled on the Razor trick by slick trick. Aint killed nothin yet but only can hope for the best. I am headin out to the grass lands about 2 am when I get off work to be ready for mornin hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum