Texas Hunting Forum

Wanting a Bow

Posted By: Locobilly

Wanting a Bow - 06/26/14 03:31 AM

I am wanting to get a bow for this season. Looking to keep the cost down as much as possible. Any advice? I would really like to keep it under $300. Is that reasonable for a decent used bow. I have never even shot one before, so not really sure where to start.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Wanting a Bow - 06/26/14 03:45 AM

I was in your same spot a few weeks ago and started a similar thread. I ended up going out to Cinnamon Creek Ranch in Roanoke and getting a brand new one for not much more than that. That's pretty much what everyone on here is going to say as well. They'll let you shoot several bows to find which one you like the most, and then take time to make it perfect for you and let you shoot it. I ended up with a PSE and love it... I'm already wanting to move up.
Posted By: Benz

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/06/14 05:35 AM

I agree. That's where I went to
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/06/14 02:21 PM

Yes you certainly need to go somewhere you can shoot one and see what draw length you are and what draw weight fits you. There are some good deals on most hunting forum classifieds and on Ebay if you know about what you are looking for. Some of the older bows still do the job you don't have to jump in heads first and spend a lot on a new bow; who knows six months from now you may decide you don't like it anymore, probably not because it is so addicting. The best thing is to find friend that has been into archery a while that can steer you in the right direction and can give you some lessons.

There's a lot to learn in archery depending on what you want to do with it and how far you want to go.
Seven or eight years ago I introduced my little buddy Rloving (he's on this forum) to this sport that we all love and he took off like a rocket. He started off with a used bow, bought another one, sold me one, bought several more. He's taken some really nice deer and some exotics with his bow, got into 3D became a range captain at his 3D range. In fact I spent the night at his house two weeks ago when I was in Odessa, I brought my new Recurve and we shot some together, he's driving nails with his compounds, he's become one heck of an archer!

Don't hesitate to P.M. if you have questions, passing on knowledge is something I think we all do here, we have some really nice guys on this forum that are willing to help you out.

Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/06/14 06:17 PM

I was lucky when it came to archery. Had great mentoring...the old guy Bjank hung in there for me! And learned patience is paramount. DO NOT rush buying a bow! The right one will be there and please don't rush to hunting, 2 months would be pushing most folks learning curve. There is some great advice on here just take your time.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/06/14 11:18 PM

One caution if going with a used bow, the warranties are not transferable. Buy a new one and the warranty is yours. If buying a used bow I would want it checked out at a proshop before spending the $ at least. Not saying that there are not some great deals out there but it is a buyer be ware thing.
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/08/14 08:33 PM

I just got into bow hunting myself. I went to cinnamon creek and all-star in lewisville. Both are great places, but the price quote seemed high. I found huntersfriend.com and ordered my 2014 pse x-force drive lt from them. 950+ at the local store......699 delivered ready to rock from huntersfriend. I wanted to support the local shops and i will take it is to have future work done but money is tight and 250 dollars is a lot.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/08/14 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JBlack
I just got into bow hunting myself. I went to cinnamon creek and all-star in lewisville. Both are great places, but the price quote seemed high. I found huntersfriend.com and ordered my 2014 pse x-force drive lt from them. 950+ at the local store......699 delivered ready to rock from huntersfriend. I wanted to support the local shops and i will take it is to have future work done but money is tight and 250 dollars is a lot.

That's more money you can spend on arrows; release and beer! hammer
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/11/14 02:39 PM

It came with a case,carbon express arrows, nap thunderheads,a release, quiver, sight, rest, stabilizer, and a sling. the bow came with everything installed and ready.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/18/14 12:36 PM

Go to pigeon road in stevenville and talk to Allen. Bet he will have a used bow ready to rock and roll in that price range (sight arrows whole deal). He will also give you a shooting lesson with it.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/18/14 04:10 PM

Come see me at CCR. I will hook you up.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/18/14 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
One caution if going with a used bow, the warranties are not transferable. Buy a new one and the warranty is yours. If buying a used bow I would want it checked out at a proshop before spending the $ at least. Not saying that there are not some great deals out there but it is a buyer be ware thing.

Only bow (to my knowledge) with a transferable lifetime warranty is Elite. Their warranty is good to go on a used bow.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Only bow (to my knowledge) with a transferable lifetime warranty is Elite. Their warranty is good to go on a used bow.

There are a few others.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes70

There are a few others.

Such as?

There are several with lifetime warranties for the original purchaser with a receipt but Elites the only one I know of that offers a transferable warranty. I'm interested to know what other company does.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 07:28 PM

Strothers, Athens, and I think Obsession.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 09:17 PM

I stand corrected. You're right about Obsession and Athens but Strothers doesn't transfer. Also add New Breed to that list. Good to know several archery companies are standing behind their products.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 09:45 PM

When Kevin Strothers owned it they did. He has since sold Strothers and I guess they stopped doing it.

Re: Wanting a Bow - 08/19/14 10:49 PM

I had just read on their website about it. Strothers are good bows though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum