Texas Hunting Forum

What broadheads do you use/recommend?

Posted By: chital_shikari

What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/24/14 03:19 PM

I have 85gr Thunderheads that have ll been shot and dulled. I have 3 Rage Low KEs. I wanna get a good 100gr fixed blade head. Lots of people like the Muzzys, and SlickTricks. I'm thinking either the Exodus or, not fixed blade, Killzone variant. Ramcats and Killzones have been recommended to me. Wondering which I should.

52-55lb draw weight, 27 maybe 28" draw length.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/24/14 04:18 PM

Hartcraft Deep Cut.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/24/14 04:46 PM

Cant go wrong with Slick Tricks
Im a G5 guy...love my Montecs
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/24/14 07:54 PM

I also shoot Hartcraft and had great luck with the ram and three pigs I have killed with them so far.

Walter
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 12:54 AM

Lots of good options out there. You will be hard pressed to do better than a Grim Reaper expandable. But if you want a fixed don't over look a Grim Reaper Hades.

Posted By: LittleD

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 01:06 AM

Gonna get a lot of opinions out there and there is a lot of good blades, But for a fixed that ole Thunderhead was putting game asleep before a lot of the Broadheads on the market now, were made. That being said I shoot Rage.
Posted By: GLC

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 01:10 AM

Slick Tricks
Posted By: MeanGreen1

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 02:01 AM

I have had good luck with Slick Tricks, HellRazors, Muzzy 3 and 4 blade. Almost all reputable broadheads will shoot good out of a well tuned bow.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 06:21 AM

With that setup a good two blade COC head like Magnus stinger or buzzcuts.. Or if you want more cut or better steel Silver Flames
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 12:37 PM

Slick Tricks have done me good

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 04:21 PM

What about the trocar?
Posted By: cmc

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 06:39 PM

Your over thinking things jr. IMO the broadhead is the most over thought over rated part of an archery set up, now I know all the arguments I know its the part doing the killing yada yada but hear me out. A one inch cut is a one inch cut whether its from a thunderhead or slick trick neither will make a bigger hole or cut more tissue shot from the same set up. Big expandables have their place and some love em and that's fine if your set up is good for them but I don't think yours is. I've shot every broadhead you can think of and swore I would never shoot anything but steel force for years because I believe they and silver flames are the sharpest heads you can get. That being said Ive been shooting thunderheads for ten years now and like them more than any for a couple reasons, they too are extremely sharp, change blades no sharpening, I find they break or bend way less than most heads of same category. I have a ferrel with five kills on it now and looking for more, not rabbits either, deer turkey pigs. What I'm saying I guess is we are not shooting T-Rex here, deer are thin skinned animals that don't require a lot killing, even hogs of the same weight are pretty easy to poke holes in. Now when you start getting into the 300 pound range you need to be more careful with shot selection, just get you some Thunderheads tune em up right and give em hell. They are fairly cheap and easy to find. Its not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Don't forget Indians were knocking down buffalo with pointy rocks long before Rage made the only broadhead any respectable archer would ever use.

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/25/14 07:47 PM

Thank you sir!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/26/14 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Your over thinking things jr. IMO the broadhead is the most over thought over rated part of an archery set up, now I know all the arguments I know its the part doing the killing yada yada but hear me out. A one inch cut is a one inch cut whether its from a thunderhead or slick trick neither will make a bigger hole or cut more tissue shot from the same set up. Big expandables have their place and some love em and that's fine if your set up is good for them but I don't think yours is. I've shot every broadhead you can think of and swore I would never shoot anything but steel force for years because I believe they and silver flames are the sharpest heads you can get. That being said Ive been shooting thunderheads for ten years now and like them more than any for a couple reasons, they too are extremely sharp, change blades no sharpening, I find they break or bend way less than most heads of same category. I have a ferrel with five kills on it now and looking for more, not rabbits either, deer turkey pigs. What I'm saying I guess is we are not shooting T-Rex here, deer are thin skinned animals that don't require a lot killing, even hogs of the same weight are pretty easy to poke holes in. Now when you start getting into the 300 pound range you need to be more careful with shot selection, just get you some Thunderheads tune em up right and give em hell. They are fairly cheap and easy to find. Its not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Don't forget Indians were knocking down buffalo with pointy rocks long before Rage made the only broadhead any respectable archer would ever use.

Solid Advice from a Good Guy
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/26/14 04:15 AM

Anything single beveled
Posted By: Wes70

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/26/14 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
What about the trocar?

Didn't leave a very good blood trail.
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/26/14 02:07 PM

I agree with pretty much everything cmc stated in his post.

I shot the Thunderheads for many years, and filled the freezer many times over using them. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about them at all. I was shooting a bow with 45 lb draw weight back then (letoff was only 20%, so holding weight was about 36 lbs!)

I have been shooting the Slick Trick magnum now for a few seasons. It is a compact broadhead with a steep blade angle, so it is going to require a little more momentum to get the same penetration. At 52-55 lbs, you should be getting pretty darn good momentum out of your bow, and could field them if you choose.

I have fiddled a little bit with a few mechanicals. Never hunted with them. I just can't bring myself to trust them.
Posted By: basschsr

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/26/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc

x2^^^
Great advice.
Personally speaking, I started with the thunderheads and they didn't fly like field points...most fixed blades don't in my experience. however, the muzzy 4 blades are very close in a 100gr and have had great success with them. There are a lot of good broadheads out there. try several and use the ones that fly best for you.

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/27/14 04:36 AM

The Thunderheads fly great for me. Think I'll order the replacement blades and use those even though they're 85gr!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 06/28/14 02:51 AM

Slick trick or g5 Stryker
Posted By: BOWTECHHUNTER

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/27/14 01:48 AM

Bloodrunner or Killzone from NAP havent had a deer or hog go over 60yds before crashing
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/27/14 12:43 PM

The Thunderheads fly great for me. Think I'll order the replacement blades and use those even though they're 85gr!

I'll pound this again, just because your bow is not as fast as the new monster FPS bow it doesn't mean that you have to shoot lighter. Why do you think that guys that shoot Trad shoot 600+ gain arrows, KE! 14 Years ago the bows started shooting over 300 FPS we were all killing deer with those slower bows.
I've always preferred K.E. over speed. My Trad bows my arrows are over 650 gn, my compounds I shoot 643gn using 220gn Muzzy Phantoms with bleeder blades which gives me 21% FOC. That gives me bone breaking power, I've knocked deer down, and I don't have a monster speed demon bow. I don't know how fast they are, and I really don't care! I know that faster means flatter trajectory, and will compensate for poor distance judgment.. and we all know what that means. smile

Little brother you'd be fine shooting 100gn thunderheads if you like that broad head 15 more gn's is not going to make that much difference, just add a little more K.E. to your arrow.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/27/14 02:34 PM

^^^^^^

Another advantage of heavier arrows is the bow will shoot quieter.
Posted By: TexaShot0341

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/27/14 04:42 PM

I just switched to Stinger 2 blades.

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/29/14 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

I'll pound this again, just because your bow is not as fast as the new monster FPS bow it doesn't mean that you have to shoot lighter. Why do you think that guys that shoot Trad shoot 600+ gain arrows, KE! 14 Years ago the bows started shooting over 300 FPS we were all killing deer with those slower bows.
I've always preferred K.E. over speed. My Trad bows my arrows are over 650 gn, my compounds I shoot 643gn using 220gn Muzzy Phantoms with bleeder blades which gives me 21% FOC. That gives me bone breaking power, I've knocked deer down, and I don't have a monster speed demon bow. I don't know how fast they are, and I really don't care! I know that faster means flatter trajectory, and will compensate for poor distance judgment.. and we all know what that means. smile

Little brother you'd be fine shooting 100gn thunderheads if you like that broad head 15 more gn's is not going to make that much difference, just add a little more K.E. to your arrow.
Thank you sir. You misunderstood. My Thunderheads ARE 85gr-bought a long time ago when i was under 30lb draw. My bow is shooting good with both my fixed blades, and im sure it will with the Rage, but alot of people are saying not to use that. Can't wait 16 more days!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/29/14 01:58 PM

Nothing wrong with the rage hypo's just a big cutting diameter.

I would go with ulmer edge if you want mechanical
Posted By: Randy H

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/29/14 08:17 PM

I have shot several heads for the past 14 years that I have been bow hunting. I have killed deer and hogs with Muzzys, Satellites (I know he blades will fly off but they did kill my 2 biggest bucks so far), Montec G-5s, and now Slick Trick Mags.

The Montecs and the Slick Tricks have been the most accurate, best flying so far. I all come down to the Slick Tricks are sharper and I believe that a 4 blade is going to cut more tissue that a 3 blade. But, with that being said it will take more energy to drive 4 blades through tissue than 3. This Fall my nephew is going to hunt with me and I will have him shooting the Montecs. He is is shooting about 40 lbs now.
Posted By: Mankussm

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/30/14 04:10 AM

Slick Tricks here
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/30/14 04:18 AM

I shot Thunderheads for years, great broadhead. I have tried a few mechanical and can't get away from the Spitfire. Most that hunt with us have also switched after seeing the results. Only mechanical I will never shoot at a deer again is a Rage. Had one deflect, still killed the animal, but have no desire to push that luck again.

Some great advice on this thread. Good Luck and post up when you stick one up
Posted By: Grizz

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 07/31/14 12:43 AM

I use Slick Tricks and Exodus and really like both. I'm generally not a mechanical broad head guy, but I am interested in the Xecutioner. A buddy of mine just got some and they are pretty wicked looking. They are also made in Weatherford. I may end up trying them out.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 08/02/14 02:00 AM

I shoot 125gr+ German Kenetic Silver Flames with arrows that weight atleast 475gr. KE, and momentum play a big role in bow hunting.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 08/04/14 04:15 AM

I agree with Bjankowski. Id say take a look into the equipment these ladies are shooting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qa4ZdIZsJk
Posted By: MR5Hunter

Re: What broadheads do you use/recommend? - 08/04/14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Slick Tricks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum