Texas Hunting Forum

What do y'all bowhunt out of?

Posted By: CRAnderson52

What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/08/14 05:02 PM

As a new bow hunter I'm seeing what most of y'all hunt out of. For us, tree stands are put of the question simply because we don't have any trees big enough. I'm planning on killing my first bow deer this year and trying to decide if I'm gonna hunt out of a pop up or a tripod. Please inform me!
Posted By: passthru

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/08/14 05:20 PM

The lease I just vacated was that way. It was a combination or short tripods, pop ups and turtle style blinds.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/08/14 05:44 PM

Simular situation as well, hunt from tripod, popup and natural blinds. All work and have one "tree stand" that is built using several oaks that are only about 15 feet tall with the platform about 8 feet off the ground that works very well.

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/08/14 05:53 PM

Makes me glad I found a lease with trees again. smile
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/08/14 10:51 PM

I'm thinking ill probably use the tripod just because it will get me off the ground... And it won't be so hot.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 12:22 AM

Mostly out of popups. You can get away with a lot of movement in these.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 01:31 PM

I have shot deer out of Trees, Tripods, and Popups. For a beginner I would strongly suggest starting in a pop-up. Just make sure you get it up a month or so before season starts and you brush it in good. You can get away with a ton of stuff in a pop-up that you never could in a tripod. Tree is my second choice, but I have killed more deer bow hunting from a tripod. I only had a 8' tripod and I got busted ALOT. With that said you will quickly learn what you can and can't get away with and learn to watch multiple deer for where they are looking.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 04:22 PM

I prefer ground blinds. Easy to set up and get into but tripods work well.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 04:47 PM

Lock ons and Cedar trees are my favorite..

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 06:21 PM

You don't need a straight tree either, you can always use one of these:

http://www.woodseytoo.com/

A lot of places have trees, but not straight ones. I highly recommend these stands. heck I like them so much I would put them in straight trees.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald

A lot of places have trees, but not straight ones. I highly recommend these stands. heck I like them so much I would put them in straight trees.

Love these stands!
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/09/14 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Love these stands!

The only tree stand that I will use.

And I HATE pop ups. I will hunt out of them if needed but IMO, it is a lot easier to get busted out of a pop up than 20' up in a tree.

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/10/14 04:01 AM

I prefer ladder stands. I have a climber I use in Missouri. I have three tripods, a quad pod, several single ladder stands, a double ladder stand and three lock on stands that rarely get used any more. I like to be up where I can see and my scent is up a little. That said a good ground blind, whether pop up or permanent, work well in many situations. Especially when the leaves drop and you loose your leaf cover in the trees and when it's cold and the Mr. Buddy heater likes to share a blind with me. grin
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/10/14 03:50 PM

We don't have many big trees either.

I have been hunting off the ground. Just pick where you want to sit pull up some grass and a stray tree branch or two, hunt the wind.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/10/14 07:43 PM

Tree(climber, than hang on) foot, ground blind..in that order
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/10/14 10:50 PM

Climber tree stand, and on foot.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/11/14 04:54 AM

Ladder stands if we have the right tree in the right setup. Otherwise a ground blind. I agree, it is much tougher in a ground blind as you are basically on eye level with the animal. Been busted more than once because of movement, and not scent. Still more of a thrill on the ground to me.

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/11/14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Ladder stands if we have the right tree in the right setup. Otherwise a ground blind. I agree, it is much tougher in a ground blind as you are basically on eye level with the animal. Been busted more than once because of movement, and not scent. Still more of a thrill on the ground to me.
I can't believe all of you have problems with ground blinds, my easiest kills ever have been from them. Here how.

1. Wear Black from head to the waist.
2. Do not open all the windows, only open the bare minimum you need. I usually open 1 and maybe a half of another one.
3. Sit as far back in the blind as you possibly can and still be able to draw, preferably in a corner.
4. be quiet!

I have had deer within 3 yards of me in a ground blind. After hunting semi-exposed in a 8 foot tripod for years, in a ground blind I feel like I am cheating.

I still prefer a tree, as I can see more.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/12/14 12:47 AM

I like a combo. I build platforms and put ground blinds on them. I like being in a ground blind because I can get away with moving, reading, eating, drinking etc without feeling like I am giving myself away. But I like to get up off the ground. here is one I am working on right now. This one is about 5 feet high and is 5x6 sq.

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/12/14 12:51 AM

Here is a wooden platform that is about 3 feet tall.

Re: What do y'all bowhunt out of? - 06/12/14 12:54 AM

A word to the wise, we hunt in west Texas where there is more rattlebugs around than I care for. ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS check your ground blinds for unwelcome critters before you get in. It is kind of unnerving to peak in a window and see a five footer coiled up looking at you. If you pile dirt around the bottom it helps keep em out I keep an eye out just-in-case.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum