Texas Hunting Forum

Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip?

Posted By: FeistyJuan

Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/02/14 03:38 AM

I'm ready to buy my first bow and am curious about the difference between grips. Seems like the higher end bows have wood grips or none at all. I have heard grips will affect your accuracy. What's your take on that and feel, vibration, etc.? Thanks
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/02/14 01:41 PM

I'm a little to no grip person my self, but its really a personal preference.

Key to archery is "consistent duplication"...meaning you grip, anchor, etc the same every shot
Posted By: passthru

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 02:19 AM

My Elite really has no grip. Not a big fan. My Z7E had the rubber "focus" grip. Even less of a fan. I liked the walnut grip on my old LX. But each manufacturer does their own thing. To me it seems cyclic. Just wait a couple years and the different styles will get recycled.
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 02:30 AM

It's best to go shoot a few. I've shot PSE for several years and they traditionally
Have small grips. I'm used to them but it may or may not be the best style. Each bow is a little different so go shoot em and buy what you feel is the most comfortable. I've got a new bowtech on the way and it has a small grip. I shot several bows and it felt very natural in my hand.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 12:33 PM

It is your grip that effects accuracy not the bows grip. As stated above archery is all personal preference. Shoot as many bows as you can and find the one that fits you best.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 12:45 PM

What your grip on your bow is made out of should not be an issue at all because if you actually grip the bow you will most likely torque it making shots inconsistent. Hand should be open when shooting or shoot like I do when making a shot and touch your thumb with your middle finger making it impossible to torque your bow. Well maybe not impossible, you may have small hands or short fingers.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 01:38 PM

Personally I have shot from fat grips to almost no grips and it doesn't make any difference to me. Then again at full draw the only contact my hand has with the bow is in the web between my thumb and index finger. Using such a loose grip with minimal contact I don't ever remember liking or disliking any grip.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/05/14 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
What your grip on your bow is made out of should not be an issue at all because if you actually grip the bow you will most likely torque it making shots inconsistent. Hand should be open when shooting or shoot like I do when making a shot and touch your thumb with your middle finger making it impossible to torque your bow. Well maybe not impossible, you may have small hands or short fingers.

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark. laugh

While the comments about the bow grip not being what causes torque may be accurate it is also not going to help you if everytime you put the fat of your hand up against it you aren't comfortable. I know the metal grip against my hand isn't. I know the rubber grip always felt like it was sticking and not letting my hand settle in well. I know I'm no Levi Morgan but I've shot a few bows for a few years and have figured out that what feels comfortable I'm more likely to have confidence in and shoot better. Not to mention shoot more often and enjoy the experience more.
Posted By: FeistyJuan

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/08/14 01:25 AM

Good advice from all thx. I'm going to shoot some bows this weekend.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Wooden grip vs rubber or no grip? - 05/15/14 07:16 PM

like a little bitty grip. either rubber or wood. My first bow had a giant thing and I was SOOOOO glad to be done with that
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum