Texas Hunting Forum

New to Texas

Posted By: Wapitinimrod

New to Texas - 04/24/14 04:59 PM

Hey All, off and on I have been in Texas over a year but have not yet had the chance to hunt. I was floored when I learned the state is 97% private land. Oh hell! I grew up out west and am not used to this. I live in San Antonio perm now and am looking to find some deer hunting, any advise for a newbie. Am willing to trade info on hunting in Oregon over the counter bow tags for deer and elk. Maybe even share a hunt.
Posted By: Cast

Re: New to Texas - 04/24/14 07:16 PM

Well, don't forget that 3% of Texas is better than 100% of anywhere else, and that 3% of Texas is really BIG! Texas has 172,044,800 acres, times 3% is 5,161,344 acres of Texas that is not privately owned. I don't think you can hunt five million acres in several lifetimes.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: New to Texas - 04/24/14 08:22 PM

Look into the public draw hunts this year.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: New to Texas - 04/25/14 12:17 AM

Talk to EVERYONE you meet about hunting, I was able to drum up a 120 acres to hunt for free my first year here. My third year I scored 800 acres for free! Maybe not really free as I drop an easy 1500 a year on corn/protein. Texans are very good no bs people, if your a ethical hunter and can bring value to a hunt you will be able to find a place. It seems that everybody here in Texas knows people that know people that have somewhere to hunt or a spot on a lease that's open. My suggestion, go drink a few beers at the hunting land and help plant, build stands, fill feeders, and they will most likely invite you to join the crew. Good luck!
Posted By: TexasNoob

Re: New to Texas - 04/30/14 03:49 AM

Wapitinimrod,
I am in the same boat you are in. Came from Washington/Cen Cali to Ft. Hood area about a year ago. Been looking at the public land hunts. Didn't apply due to working in Afghanistan right now. But I am hoping that in June, while on some R/R, I can get out with either my bow/rifle for a hog or two.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: New to Texas - 04/30/14 10:38 PM

most Corp of Engineers properties have archery pig hunting no permit needed,JUST CALL AND Talk to THE RANGERS
And if your in Texas there are pigs in the area!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum