Texas Hunting Forum

Youth Bow

Posted By: Lotto

Youth Bow - 04/12/14 05:01 AM

What are your suggestions for a first inexpensive youth bow for my 8 year old grandson for his birthday at Academy or Dicks ?...... Thanks
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Youth Bow - 04/12/14 01:19 PM

I would avoid Academy or Dicks and find a Mission/Mathews dealer near by. Mission Menace, very inexpensive my 8 year old daughter shooter hers in ASA competition.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Youth Bow - 04/12/14 02:15 PM

Depends on definition of inexpensive and would consider the youth's interest in Archery.

If they are very interested I would follow Chuck's advice and throw in the youth offerings from Diamond as well. Atomic small youth bow and the Infinite edge which can grow along with the youth for a long time.
Posted By: Ladydeerslayer

Re: Youth Bow - 04/13/14 06:23 AM

I agree with Chuck and kmon1. I just bought a Mission Craze for my grandson (he'll be 7 in July). The draw weight on the bow is 15-70 lb (they were able to get it down to 8 for starters) and the draw length is 19"-30". It is easy for him to start with and will be good for several years. It's easy for him and he loves it. Stay away from the large chain sporting goods stores if possible. An archery store is the best bet. Hopes this helps some.
Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Youth Bow - 04/14/14 04:42 PM

also look at a youth recurve. helps them hone in skills as well.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Youth Bow - 04/14/14 11:56 PM

^^^^^^^^

A recurve is another good choice, ones like the PSE Razorback or Cabela's Ranger are good choices for that age.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Youth Bow - 04/25/14 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladydeerslayer
I agree with Chuck and kmon1. I just bought a Mission Craze for my grandson (he'll be 7 in July). The draw weight on the bow is 15-70 lb (they were able to get it down to 8 for starters) and the draw length is 19"-30". It is easy for him to start with and will be good for several years. It's easy for him and he loves it. Stay away from the large chain sporting goods stores if possible. An archery store is the best bet. Hopes this helps some.

Ha! I bought a Mission Craze for myself last year for my first bow and I love it. I turn 47 next January. laugh

Seriously though I see a lot of the youths at the range I go to using Missions. Very adjustable which is a great feature for when the kid hits a growth spurt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum