Texas Hunting Forum

Which Broadhead ?

Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Which Broadhead ? - 03/25/14 03:17 AM

My son has killed deer, turkey and hogs all while deer hunting with rage broadheads. But if your just going for hogs and turkeys is there another Broadhead you guys would recomind ? With a bow set at about 45 pounds.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/25/14 05:43 AM

I am a fan of fixed broadheads and it doesn't get much better than a G5 Montec IMO
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/25/14 07:45 PM

Anything muzzy makes. I am not a fan of mechanical broadheads, Especially with a low draw weight.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/25/14 11:29 PM

Just to even it out, I shot 17 pigs last year with grim reaper mechanical hog heads. They all work if you put them in the right spot.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 01:01 AM

Quote:
17 pigs last year with grim reaper mechanical hog heads. They all work if you put them in the right spot.

Here is your answer. Grim Reapers are hard to beat.

Posted By: Hard Knocks

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 01:04 AM

100gr Slick Trick Mags
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 03:38 AM

I shot Thunderheads for years, they were fantastic.

The last few years I've been shooting Slick Trick Magnum. I like them even better.

Label me a fixed head guy, I put my faith in them.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 03:44 AM

Anything but a Rage rofl

I have used Spitfires for many years and many kills. No issues and it goes where I tell it to go.
Posted By: tjshockler

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 12:05 PM

Slick trick mags, they fly great , penetrate like a hot knife through butter ,creates a massive wounds , and are SHARP right out of the package . That's all I can ask for.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/26/14 06:32 PM

Honestly, for pigs I like something cheap like the Carbon Express or Allen 3 blades you can buy at Academy for $10-$15. They fly close enough to my Slicks at pig distances not to be an issue.
Posted By: rackbow

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 02:03 AM

100 grain 3 blade muzzy

best tried and true broadhead out there
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 02:06 AM

Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 02:38 AM

Under 20 yards you will be fine with almost anything, as long as you have poundage of 65+
Posted By: gooseslayer

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 04:28 AM

grim reapers!! up
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 12:17 PM

Muzzy but I have shot a few with Vortex.
Posted By: 100% OUTDOORSMAN

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 03/27/14 06:28 PM

Magnus 2 blade stinger buzzcut 100 gr!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/03/14 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Gummi Bear
I shot Thunderheads for years, they were are fantastic.
Plain, Jane 85grners work great for lower poundage bows. Not nesassarily good blood trails, but all animals died in sight, with complete pass throughs and draw weight 50< lbs.

There aren't any bad broad heads out on the market nowadays. Even the Rages work pretty good for certain people, myself included. I've been recommended Killzones, GrimReapers, SlickTricks, Rage 3s, and Ramcats. All seem to get the job done. My suggestion would be to look at what you like, try it out a few times, and if it works, then stick to it. If not, there are plenty of more razor sharp fish in the sea smile. Like with bows, it's YOUR preference
Posted By: Stat

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/04/14 04:57 PM

I have read through the various posts here, but I would appreciate the thoughts from the experienced bow hunters about a particular question: Would you be comfortable for a teenager shooting a 51 pound pull (not sure about the FPS), 100 grain field point, using a mechanical (such as Grim Reaper), intended target is a whitetail at about 20 yards; or is there a concern about proper mechanical function and should we consider a fixed blade point?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/04/14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stat
I have read through the various posts here, but I would appreciate the thoughts from the experienced bow hunters about a particular question: Would you be comfortable for a teenager shooting a 51 pound pull (not sure about the FPS), 100 grain field point, using a mechanical (such as Grim Reaper), intended target is a whitetail at about 20 yards; or is there a concern about proper mechanical function and should we consider a fixed blade point?

Well I would be comfortable with an adult shooting this set-up with any modern day bow. My brother has bowhunted for the past 20 years up in New Jersey and many, many animals have fell to his Muzzy 100 grain and 53-pound bow.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/05/14 02:19 AM

Slick Tricks are the best I have used. Killed lots of animals with them. As long as a broadhead flies true and is sharp you should be golden.
Posted By: justinbentley

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/05/14 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
100gr Slick Trick Mags

This was my choice after much research. They seem to make a little sizzle noise on the way to the target.

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/10/14 07:03 PM

Absolutely. Although if you want to go the mechanical route I would humbly advise that you consider the Carbon Express Torrid SS. ~$16 for a 3-pack, they fly just like other mechanicals and cut just like 'em. You have to shoot them with a little rubber band around the blades to keep them from opening, but if you're concerned about having enough kinetic energy to operate the bigger names then that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Of course, I think any 50# bow with a reasonable draw length is going to operate a Grim Reaper just fine, too.

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/10/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: justinbentley
Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
100gr Slick Trick Mags

This was my choice after much research. They seem to make a little sizzle noise on the way to the target.

Set your phone up close to your broadhead target (just don't shoot it) and record a video of the slick trick next to a field point. From behind the arrow you hear a distinct hissing noise, but from in front of the arrow you can't tell much of a difference. Doppler effect?
Posted By: Oakysmoker

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/12/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
I am a fan of fixed broadheads and it doesn't get much better than a G5 Montec IMO

G5s are what I am starting with. Have not yet taken any game with one, but with practice...practice....a d more practice....maybe a turkey next week or a hog later on. I am very pleased with their accuracy and durability (missed the block a few times at 30 yards). I have also have been able to resharpen them with just a ceramic rod, not hard at all.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/12/14 01:27 AM

Yes, but one of the small diameter ones, like ulmer edge, rage low Ke---1 1/8 cutting diameter. I'd stay away from the 1 1/2+ cuts and no three blade mechincals.
Posted By: txhuntingguide

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/12/14 01:59 AM

My daughter and wife pull in the upper 40's and shoot 85 and 100 grain reapers 220 -240 fps. with no issues. The broadheads will open fine. They don't read the forum and don't know that broadheads don't open until you get to a magic draw weight they just shoot what I tune their bow to and have no issues. All they know is they shoot and follow a blood trail to an animal and help me gut it. 51 lbs. will be fine.
Posted By: CHRIS SINKU

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/12/14 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/13/14 09:03 PM

For hogs and coons, I just use the cheapest broadhead I can find at walmart, either mechanical or fixed. Usually you can get 3 heads for around $10. Never had a problem with any of them after 20 or so kills. Not sure about using them for heavily-feathered turkeybirds though.
Posted By: High Country 8

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/16/14 04:52 PM

I like the G5's for fixed blade broadheads.
Posted By: Stat

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/16/14 05:25 PM

Thanks for all your input to my earlier question (I read this forum frequently, but I do not post very much--I mostly read and learn).
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 04/17/14 02:55 AM

I am switching this year to HartCraft. So far I am impressed.
Posted By: HayMathews

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/02/14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
Honestly, for pigs I like something cheap like the Carbon Express or Allen 3 blades you can buy at Academy for $10-$15. They fly close enough to my Slicks at pig distances not to be an issue.

X2 on this one, I buy the cheap carbon express 3 blades and they do the job on pigs. Don't feel so bad when one breaks.
Posted By: bowassin

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/08/14 04:28 AM

I've shot 2 blade rage for years
Bear element
65lbs
Never failed
Everything they hit gets destroyed
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/12/14 12:58 AM

If I am bow hunting for deer and a hog comes by, I try to switch out my arrow with a cheap fixed blade on it (don't want to ruin a good arrow or broad head). However, if I am just hog hunting, I am using my trusty .243 or my soon to be new .308 with Thermal I am building.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/12/14 05:07 PM

Slick Tricks for me, no doubt about it. I shoot the 125 grain Magnums mostly. Great little broadhead.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/12/14 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: sav7mag
I've shot 2 blade rage for years

Never failed
Everything they hit gets destroyed

X2
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Which Broadhead ? - 05/14/14 12:54 AM

Helix or outback, anything single beveled
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum