Texas Hunting Forum

Getting in the game.

Posted By: smithwr

Getting in the game. - 02/05/14 04:57 PM

2011 bowtech assassin black ops, factory apex sight and hostage rest.
Just getting into archery. I just had Steve at Alvarado Archery (super nice guy) go through my bow and measure my draw. I have it set at 30" 60lbs and chronoed at 288fps. I'm loving it so far and I'm sure I'll be full of questions.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/05/14 07:18 PM

Welcome, The Assassin is a great bow! It is still my hunting rig after several years. I think you should be turning more speed with it though. Must be heavy arrows.
Posted By: madfish80

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 02:37 AM

Welcome!!! Turn away now while you still have a chance!! Its not too late!! Thats a nice looking bowtech.I myself shoot a 2011 Bowtech Destroyer 350. But first things first......the Hostage rest has to go....thats one of the cheapest CRAP rest out there. If you want a decent full containment rest look into a Whisker Bisquit rest. I myself like the QAD HDX dropaway rests. Any questions you might have feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Madfish
Posted By: madfish80

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Welcome, The Assassin is a great bow! It is still my hunting rig after several years. I think you should be turning more speed with it though. Must be heavy arrows.

His bow is only set at 60lbs..... You can see a gap between the riser and the limbs. It can be cranked down more. I be willing to bet thats a 65lbs bow. Id like to see what it would do cranked down the rest of the way. His 30" draw will produce some good speed. Guessing 305-310FPS.

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 06:18 AM

Well I work in oil and gas and got called to a job today so it will be a little bit before I can get back at it. I have heard good things about the drop away rest and plan on testing a few when I get back. I had a tru ball release and didn't really like it because of the trigger creep. I replaced it with a Scott samurai and it really tightened up my groups. I ran out and shot this morning a little bit before I had to get on the road and got my first Robin Hood. It's neat to have one but I'm good with one, arrows get expensive.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 07:53 PM

Good shooting! Now pick different spots for each shot from now on!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

yup arrows aint cheap!

Like the blackout! Kinda looks like a Z7 now though and we cant be having that

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Yea I'm going to from now on. I was tryin to get 3 shot groups but not anymore!

What kind of targets do y'all use for field points? I have a hurricane and it's ok, my buddy has a yellow jacket and it's a lot easier to get the arrows out. I was going to pick up a yellow jacket unless y'all have a better recommendation.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/10/14 08:20 PM

If you want one to last a very long time the 18sided black and green one... think its Rinehart or something...

if just want a cheap one that will hold up the yellow jacket aint bad just don't leave it out in the weather
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/11/14 02:46 AM

Rinehart makes very good targets. Worth the extra money, because they will last. The Yellow Jacket will need to be replaced every year.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Getting in the game. - 02/13/14 05:23 AM

$20 off thru me
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum