Texas Hunting Forum

Safety harness for tree ladder stands

Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/22/14 05:40 PM

I want to purchase a safety harness that I can use out of either of my own two ladder stands as well as if I hunt others. Several times I have had the opportunity to hunt elsewhere and ended up in ladder stands where either the harness that was there was ill fitting or no longer functional.

There are a bunch of them out there, but most seem geared toward the actual climb and use of pure tree stands, not ladder stands. So I want something I can keep with me and probably even put on before I head out to the stand and flexible enough to securely latch on once I get where I am going.

Any recommendations? Including what to stay away from.
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/22/14 06:40 PM

Today, there are a ton of great harnesses available.

I have a Gorilla G-30, it is last year model. I tried on a bunch, and it was the most comfortable to me.

My daughter has a HSS, and she likes it.

Even if it is marketed toward one stand type or another, go and try them on, and find the one that is most comfortable to you. Wear your jacket, and mimic drawing your bow with it on. You do not want to find out it is restrictive or uncomfortable on your hunt. I wear mine any time I climb.

Set up a climb safety rope (or "life line") so you are tied off 100% as you climb. No sense in becoming a statistic.

Look at brands like HSS, Muddy, Gorilla, Tree Spider and similar.

*edit* - Good harnesses are expensive. Be prepared to spend up to $150 for the right one. This is still a whole bunch cheaper than a trip to the hospital, or worse. I had no problem convincing Mrs that this was a good investment. I did not wear a harness when I was younger, and I got away with it. I want to be there for my family, and set a good example for my daughter, so I have used one since she started hunting with me.

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/22/14 07:44 PM

Thanks. I don't mind spending the money for the right one.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/22/14 08:04 PM

I bought two new ladder stands the other day and they came with safety harnesses.

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/23/14 12:23 AM

I bought two 2 ones last year and they also came with harnesses. But they are somewhat specific to my ladder stand and I was wanting to move to a single harness that I could use anywhere.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/23/14 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I want to purchase a safety harness that I can use out of either of my own two ladder stands as well as if I hunt others. Several times I have had the opportunity to hunt elsewhere and ended up in ladder stands where either the harness that was there was ill fitting or no longer functional.

There are a bunch of them out there, but most seem geared toward the actual climb and use of pure tree stands, not ladder stands. So I want something I can keep with me and probably even put on before I head out to the stand and flexible enough to securely latch on once I get where I am going.

Any recommendations? Including what to stay away from.

My advice is buy the lighest and least intrusive.

Tx is hot, but when it gets cold the lighter ones are easier to layer over or under
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/23/14 12:34 AM

I use the tree spider. It is geared for how hunting and is super lite. Has good metal buckles. They also make a bow hunting jacket by scent blocker that it can buckle into.

Walter
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/23/14 07:50 PM

I have a TreeSpyder. Hands down, a life saver. I will spare the details but mine saved my arse in Illinois in 2012. My climber slipped and I fell out.

The Gorillas and the Muddy's are nice too.

I dont like the HSS but that is my preference. when I buy a new stand, the 1st thing I do is throw the junk harness that comes with it in the trash.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/24/14 04:42 AM

I wore one for the first time this year and it was the one that came with the climbing stand I bought. It was a pain in the neck to put on but it worked I guess. Never fell to see for sure . . . hammer
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/25/14 12:58 AM

The harness that comes with your stand will work, and it will save your life. If I remember correctly, every tree stand should come with one,per the TMA standards (I believe we talked about this in Bowhunter Ed)

While the "free" harness will work, like you mentioned, it is a pain in the butt to use. Getting a nicer harness will give you more comfort,and ease of use. Let's face it, you are more likely to use something, if it is simple to use. It is money well spent, when it comes to safety.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/25/14 01:31 AM

I use a Gorilla G-30.
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 01/27/14 10:41 PM

G 30. That is all
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 02/07/14 05:45 AM

I have an HSS Pro Vest type. It's pretty easy to put on and everything and it has lot's of pockets. I didnt use it when it was super cold out so I am not sure how it would perform when you want to get to your coat pockets, etc. I kinda wish I would have gotten a more minimalist design.

I really liked the HSS Lifeline tree strap. Clip into that and no matter where you might fall from on your way up or down, you're covered.
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 02/15/14 12:16 AM

another Gorilla G30 user here. Didn't like the HSS vest at all.
Posted By: Sprman

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 02/17/14 03:24 PM

Scent blocker Tree spider speed harness here. I like it cause i can snap it into my jacket and put it on and off very easy.
Posted By: WhitetailFreak

Re: Safety harness for tree ladder stands - 02/21/14 10:40 PM

Hunter's Specialties
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum