Texas Hunting Forum

Choosing the right Broadhead?

Posted By: joshjames

Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 03:49 AM

I am new to bow hunting, and I am trying to figure out what type of broadhead to shoot?? Mechanical or fixed? What brand?? I have been looking at the G5 T3 mechanical broadhead but i have also heard some bad stuff about it.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 07:50 AM

I prefer fixed blades because they don't have a chance to fail to open. That being said I do have some of the grim reapers that I keep around as backups and spares. For fixed blades I shoot muzzy mx-3 100gr, magnus stinger 100gr, stinger buzzcuts 125 gr, and german-kenetic silverflames in 100gr 125gr and 150gr, but will soon be adding either the 180gr or the 210gr to the lineup aswell or maybe both of them.
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 02:04 PM

I've tried a lot of different brands over the years, been shooting slick tricks 125gr the last couple years and I am very happy with the way they shoot.

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 02:07 PM

Alright thank you
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 06:50 PM

slick tricks are great broadheads but they do not leave a good hole. But if you get a good shot on a deer it will be deadly! I plan on buying some before season
Posted By: RUM Mann

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/25/13 11:24 PM

I have shot lots of different fixed and mechanical heads over the years and my worst experiences have been with g5 Montecs. Now days I almost exclusively shoot Magnus heads ( stinger, snuffer, and 2 blade) because I can resharpen them and they have a lifetime warranty if they ever break they are replaced for free. But good luck breaking one these heads are tough and penetrate through every deer I have shot being cut on contact.
Posted By: Plain Lucky

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/26/13 11:57 PM

I like Innerloc Falcon claw. They are a fixed blade broadhead that you can rotate to line up with your fletching which seems to help with accuracy. I've stopped shooting new hunting blades into targets for fear of dulling them and I replace the blades anytime I shoot an animal. I'm convinced you can't ever sharpen a blade anywhere near as sharp as what they are brand new. And a razor sharp edge doing its job is the most crucial element upon impact.

You might consider taking the TPWD course to get your bowhunters certification - they go over lots of great material that can save years of trial and error on your own.

Good Luck and welcome to the obsession!
Posted By: Bannon

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/27/13 01:56 AM

SlickTrick RazorTricks...shot basically end thru end on a hog last year...huge entrance and exit holes...hog went 3 steps!
Check'em out on the web!
Posted By: HunterCW

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/31/13 02:16 AM

There is no right answer to which broadhead to shoot, name any broadhead and you will find 100 people who love it and 100 people who hate it. It basically comes down to a broadhead that you pick out and building confidence in the broadhead. Any broadhead on the market will kill with a good shot. Good luck!
Posted By: Big Kid X21

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 08/31/13 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: HunterCW
There is no right answer to which broadhead to shoot, name any broadhead and you will find 100 people who love it and 100 people who hate it. It basically comes down to a broadhead that you pick out and building confidence in the broadhead. Any broadhead on the market will kill with a good shot. Good luck!

X2. There is no substitute for placement. The best advice I could give is pick a head that shoots well from your rig and then always pick the"spot" on your target and you will be fine.
Posted By: Rocklock

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 09/03/13 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: RUM Mann
I have shot lots of different fixed and mechanical heads over the years and my worst experiences have been with g5 Montecs. Now days I almost exclusively shoot Magnus heads ( stinger, snuffer, and 2 blade) because I can resharpen them and they have a lifetime warranty if they ever break they are replaced for free. But good luck breaking one these heads are tough and penetrate through every deer I have shot being cut on contact.

X2
Snuffer --- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 09/03/13 03:18 AM

I prefer fixed blade. Guarantee they qont fail to open. smile personally, I shoot muzzy, but there are a ton of great broadheads out there.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 09/03/13 04:25 AM

Only have experience with 2. Ramcats and exodus. Like them both, ramcats are the first to come out though. Fly true with my set up and hit hard. I had thought about trying rage for deer season, but doubt I will move off the other two.

Probably true that you will get folks on both side of the fence on every broadhead. All personal choice

Matt

Re: Choosing the right Broadhead? - 09/08/13 04:42 PM

Thanks everybody i got the muzzy phantom anybody have an experience with them
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum