Texas Hunting Forum

How Do Y'all Stay Warm?

Posted By: TxHunter87

How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 06:42 PM

Normally when I bow hunt its never very cold but I am going to be doing some late season where my normal bow hunting gear just wont keep me warm. What do yall do to stay warm where your out there in below 30 degrees? A thick jacket just seems to bulky
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 06:53 PM

Dress in layers. Good thermals, hooded sweatshirt, fleece liner jacket and a windproof outer jacket. Worked outside most of my life and almost got it figured out.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 06:53 PM

i wear bibs, so my upper part of my body isnt bulky but im still warm from chest down, then if it is cold enough, a under armor shirt, with a light sweathsirt pull over from mossy oak that has a hood but the material is that soft, silky silent material and then my realtree bone collectors scent blocker jacket. none of this is bulky and gives you plenty of range of motion and is warm
Posted By: passthru

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 06:55 PM

It depends on if in an open stand or a pop up. In a pop up I just use a buddy heater. I also take a black sleeping bag to the pop up and wrap up in it then when something is coming in slide it off and get into position to shoot. I use hand/body warmers in chest pockets to warm the blood circulating in the lungs and that helps keep the core really warm which extends to the extremities. Layer your stocking caps as well to hold heat in your head. I normally leave the sleeping bag folded up on the chair in the blind all weekend if it's a cold one but not when I'm not there. Mice and squirrels make short work of them. That in addition to the good advice already given.
Posted By: Boomer57

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 08:08 PM

I've hunted @10* in the panhandle standing in a ladder stand, no wind. Layer up with poly thermals and then wool thermals. I prefer insulated bibs so my shoulders don't bind up, quality jacket without being bulky. Head and face covering and you can survive.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 09:00 PM

I usually layer up like advised above.

I wear under armor, then maybe a layer of long johns if it is really cold. I then wear my Scent Blocker Mack Daddy pants and jacket. I also use the hand warmers. I should own stock in that company as many as I buy.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 09:09 PM

I first put on under Armour cold gear, then long johns, and wind stopper pants on the bottom half. On top I do the same and then a fleece top and light jacket. Wear a pull over hat, can't remember what it is made of. I have a fleece, like what football players wear to put their hands in, around my waist and keep my hands in this until ready to shoot. Don't care for gloves unless I'm riding my ATV. Hunted like this with wind chill in the teens and stayed warm.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/10/13 10:32 PM

Layers etc. as has been discussed. I also use a knit compression arm guard since the more you wear the bulkier your clothing is and the more likely you bow string will slap your jacket upon release.
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/11/13 08:33 PM

Hunting in the cold used to suck something awful because jackets were bulky.

Last year I invested in a Arctic Shield suit, H4 level. With my Capilene long johns*, and my suit, I'm good to go well into the 20° range. I do need warmer boots, need to get some Muck boots and I'll be really good to go.

I'm not too proud to fire up a heater in the box blind though. laugh

* I bought, and have been wearing Patagonia Capilene since long before UA ever thought about getting in the business, and they're what folks wear when climbing in the Himalayas, so it works well
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/11/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter87
Normally when I bow hunt its never very cold but I am going to be doing some late season where my normal bow hunting gear just wont keep me warm. What do yall do to stay warm where your out there in below 30 degrees? A thick jacket just seems to bulky

Wear a shirt!!!! rofl

J/K...but really. Layer up with under protection and I wear a fleece made by redhead that keeps me warm in just about any temp. I wear a light jacket over it if it is really cold. up
Posted By: Old_School

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/11/13 09:17 PM

A good base layer is your friend.

Heavy wool socks and insulated boots. I go with the heaviest wool socks Cabela's sells, around 15 bucks a pair, and the 800 gram Pinnacle zip boots. Works in the teens with high winds and precip. Dry-Plus bibs non-insulated bibs, a Terramar Helix top to go with a Terramar L3 bottom. Usually, a good ol heavy cotton button up long sleeve and a fleece vest. If it polar out, I throw on a parka and lose the shirt and vest.

The BEST thing I have is a brown, knit neck gaiter. I bought it at Academy a few years ago for 5 bucks on an impulse buy. You can pull it up to cover face and ears, but you don't have to fight it like a mask. The MT50(?) Glomitts keep the hands warm, and I like the convertible thumbs when loading the scatter gun.
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/11/13 10:31 PM

I drink heavily... grin

Layers like everyone else has said. Plus I put a hand warmer in each pocket and toe warmers in my boots. Think I might invest in the Thermacell boot inserts.
Posted By: passthru

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/12/13 01:16 AM

Feet are the hardest for me anymore. Circulation sucks. It's wild when I take off my high dollar insulated boots and socks and my toe nails are blue. Worth every bit of it when you have one at 10 yards and it never knows you're there.
Posted By: cmc

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/12/13 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
I drink heavily... grin

Layers like everyone else has said. Plus I put a hand warmer in each pocket and toe warmers in my boots. Think I might invest in the Thermacell boot inserts.

Please let me know how these work if you get em. I can not get my feet warm ever. While in Michigan this year after one sit in 20* for four hours I went to town spent $200 on 1600 gram thinsulate boots two sizes too big and wool socks. After about two hours the next morning my feet got cold again. I seen the thermacell things yesterday and wondered about them.
Posted By: killemall

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/12/13 02:47 AM

layers under armor, thermals, fleece is good, I like things that zip at neck, something good on your head. It used to not bother me as much, Its either cause I'm getting old or turning into a ^&%^*^*& or both but lately I am starting to get cold more often.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/14/13 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Gummi Bear
Last year I invested in a Arctic Shield suit, H4 level.
The BEST investment you will ever make. I bought a AS suit bout 3 yrs ago to hunt all day in Ks brutal cold winds. Mine is the H3 I believe, but will keep you warm all day long. Best money I ever spent.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/14/13 06:59 PM

a cheap sleeping bag from walmart works wonders! You will be surprised at how well it will keep your feet and hands warm too! Very easy and quite to slip down far enough to use your bow. Being using this trick for over 30 years.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 02:33 AM

I hunt from a tree the majority of season from north texas to okl/Kansas border.

Columbia bids
Fleece omni heat wader pants
Sorel boots

Up top Columbia heavy weight omni heat base layer.
850 down jacket(higher the down number, the higher the quality which means less bulk)
Fleece outer jacket

Biggest thing for me that really makes the difference is the cabelas neck gator and beenie. .. single handley the most critical
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
I drink heavily... grin

Please let me know how these work if you get em. I can not get my feet warm ever. While in Michigan this year after one sit in 20* for four hours I went to town spent $200 on 1600 gram thinsulate boots two sizes too big and wool socks. After about two hours the next morning my feet got cold again. I seen the thermacell things yesterday and wondered about them.

When im hunting single digits and not moving....I use the throw away toe warmers..they have a sticky side and work great..one on bottom one on top
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 03:08 AM

I posted an earlier Dick's sale from this past weekend, SmartHeat Field and Stream pants, the carbon heat technology ones. I have read reviews 4 & 5 stars where you can sweat in them if worn with long johns. I'll be giving those a try next season, paid $40 instead of $130 retail...
Posted By: cuthand1

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 12:41 PM

Layers of thermals, good wool camo and HOT HANDS warmers in my pockets and if you need to put one on your head under your hood!
Posted By: Buckbuster

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 01:43 PM

Got to be layered..I just purchased some new pants and jacket by under armour and gotta say they are warm warm warm...and quiet!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 02:05 PM

Layers & insulated bibs.
Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Wear a shirt!!!! rofl

J/K...but really. Layer up with under protection and I wear a fleece made by redhead that keeps me warm in just about any temp. I wear a light jacket over it if it is really cold. up

So your telling me a shirt will help??? Kidding! I have been thinking of getting one of those Heater Body suits has anyone tried that?

And I am going to get all new layers here soon it just cost so much and if that dosnt work I will look into some of these suits yall are talking about but thanks's for all the advice
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/15/13 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Wear a shirt!!!! rofl

So your telling me a shirt will help??? Kidding! I have been thinking of getting one of those Heater Body suits has anyone tried that?

And I am going to get all new layers here soon it just cost so much and if that dosnt work I will look into some of these suits yall are talking about but thanks's for all the advice
We know y'all don't wear shirts when you hunt! Haha. peep
Posted By: broadheads&bullets

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/16/13 10:26 PM

I wear fleece pants under jeans, an under armor shirt a flannel shirt and a hoodie, wool socks under my boots and the gloves wear your fingertips stick out but they wouldn't work well with a release and sicnce I longbow hunt I just put my shooting glove on under that. I've done this when it was 30 degrees and windy I was a little cool but never got cold.
Posted By: senko86

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/19/13 01:40 PM

I don't stay warm
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/20/13 06:08 AM

I am originally from up north so this is like spring to me in the dead of winter here lol. Layers, warmers, wool and over sized boots with warmers in them to help get air in to keep them activated. I'm Italian and hairy so I guess that helps out a lot keeping heat lmao!
Posted By: HuntingAddict1998

Re: How Do Y'all Stay Warm? - 01/20/13 09:49 PM

Under Armour thermals keep me very warm! theyre about 75 or 80 bucks but they pay off very quickly!
Anything fleece is really good for bowhunting too it keeps you warm and is super quiet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum