Texas Hunting Forum

mechanical vs fixed blades

Posted By: JMalin

mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/10/12 04:52 PM

Do mechanical hold a better/tighter group than fixed blades? I've got some 100 grain magnus stinger broadheads and I can't shoot better than a 3-4 inch group at twenty yards. Bow is in tune and tears a bullet hole in paper. My field points are much tighter 1-2 inch with arrows touching often. Does my bow just not like the magnus? Could another brand of fixed blade shoot better? Should I give mechanical blades a shot?
Posted By: stopper

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/11/12 04:24 PM

Try HellRazor , or Slick Trick. They will shoot just like your field points.

www.corkyshuntincountry.com
Posted By: SNAFU

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/11/12 04:52 PM

i just shot some magnus blades for first time....man they dropped something bad!! I wanna try the Slick Trick myself, look pretty tough
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 12:17 AM

I picked up some 100gr QAD Exodus Broadheads with the swept blades and they shoot with my field points. Now if I could only stick somthing with them.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 02:41 AM

I switched from mechanical to fixed a few years ago and don't have any complaints.

However, my 23 year old son shot a hog today with some kind of mechanical that someone gave him and the thing dang near gutted the hog on the way out. The thing only went about 20 yards. I don't even know what type of mechanical it was, but I was impressed.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 03:01 AM

I have tried many broad heads but I keep going back to what I started with muzzy's bad to the bone!
Posted By: CHRIS1981

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 03:14 AM

prefer fixed blades i shoot Crimson Talon's..
Posted By: Grizz

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 01:39 PM

I've been shooting QAD Exodus 100 gr. fixed broadheads. They shoot like my field points and all three deer I've shot with them died quickly. I would like to try Slick Trick 4 blades. That's what I was going to get when I got sidetracked with the Exodus.
Posted By: TX_Hoghunter

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 04:12 PM

I have been using the Rage since they came out. I do not have a single complaint with them. They fly great.

-john
Posted By: Blood Trail

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/12/12 05:41 PM

If your using Magnus, line up the blades vertical with the cockfeather. Makes the world of difference
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/13/12 03:01 AM

Slick Trick 100gr Magnum for me.
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/13/12 04:05 AM

SLick Tricks are Fantastic !
Slick Trick Magnums
Viper Trick
Griz trick
all are 4 blade broadheads. Fly like field points exept Griz Trick. Delivers Massive Punch and Holes.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/13/12 04:15 AM

Spitfires. Probably won't ever shoot anything else.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/14/12 02:30 AM

Here is the reality on this subject. The planing that comes from most fixed blade broad heads is actually due to a low FOC. the lower the FOC the lower the resistance is to wind sheer. Therefore the slightest adjustment in angle from archers paradox will allow for the arrow to start planing. With out getting into the science of it all, We conducted a bunch of tests with several perfectly tuned setups and even some poorly tuned setups. We found that if you have a FOC that is 16% or higher your fixed blade no matter the size will shoot in the same spot as your field points. This usually means that you will have to change your arrow. but you will also increase penetration and lethality of your setup, in addition your arrow will be more durable. As we all know two holes kills better than one and I have never heard of a bow hunter losing an animal because of to much penetration.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/14/12 09:32 PM

That's a good point about FOC.

In my experience some setups just don't like certain broadheads, either they are really sensitive to archer's mistakes, or they consistantly fly to one direction. Try some different heads, first place I'll go is with a lower-profile head, but I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule. I've had bow setups that hated one particular design, and others that loved that same design. I typically go pretty heavy on my arrows, but never paid much attention to FOC. I've got montecs and spitfires tuned into my primary setup that impact the same spot out to 60yrds, like them both, just tend to prefer the montecs on bigger critters.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/14/12 10:40 PM

Txnrog,
You mentioned your arrows are pretty heavy. What is the total weight that you are shooting?

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/14/12 10:45 PM

550gr in my compound.

675gr in my recurve, but never had flight issues with those lawn darts
Posted By: Death_By_Broadhead

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/15/12 12:22 AM

I think either are fine for deer. Perhaps fixed for larger game?

I shoot Vortex 100 grain and have a lot of confidence in them. They shoot like my field points.

My boy is going to use them on his new Parker Challenger crossbow.

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/15/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Death_By_Broadhead
I think either are fine for deer. Perhaps fixed for larger game?

I shoot Vortex 100 grain and have a lot of confidence in them. They shoot like my field points.

My boy is going to use them on his new Parker Challenger crossbow.

Mechs are fine for even larger game. I've shot red hartebeest, elk, wildebeest, zebra, and a few others with spitfires and excellent results. The key is to make sure you have enough momentum (weight) behind them. They will loose energy on impact, and cause issues at the marginal ranges of the energy spectrum for the game you are chasing. Generally don't recommend for kids or women's rigs for the same reasons I'll never use them on my trad bows.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/15/12 06:00 PM

I have always shot 100 grain shuttle t's or T' locks.

Always fixed blade for me.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/19/12 07:42 PM

Fixed bladed broadheads that only have two blades will ALOT of
times plane out of a FASTER BOW.
Posted By: hoyt1991

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/20/12 01:48 AM

MUZZY!!!!! fixed 4 blade
Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/20/12 02:58 PM

I've got Ulmer Edges and Grizz Tricks in my quiver. Shot a bobcat with an Ulmer Edge and it worked perfectly.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/21/12 12:40 PM

Love my slick tricks
Posted By: Buglemintoday

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/24/12 03:21 PM

I've been using mechanicals for a few years now and I love them. Never had an issue with them coming apart.

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/24/12 05:05 PM

Guess I'm going to try some different broadheads. Will probably invest in some some more fixed blades for now, but will give grim reapers a try too somewhere down the road (that's what my bow technician shoots and he loves them).
Posted By: clear creek 89

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/27/12 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: CHRIS1981
prefer fixed blades i shoot Crimson Talon's..

Me to for the laat 4 years and theyve never disappointed me

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 11/28/12 11:22 PM

anyone interested in some four blade Magnus stingers? I've got four of them I'd looking to get rid of now lol

Ended up buying some standard muzzy three blades. they shoot much better and I got six of them for the price of three of the Magnus broadheads. seems like everytime I take my bow out of the case, I have to play with the sights a little to get my arrows hitting exactly where I'm lined up. I wonder how much weather conditions (temperature, humidity) and altitude affect the flight? Then again, I never really worried about how any of those things might affect the flight of a bullet from my rifle.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 12/11/12 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: JMalin
anyone interested in some four blade Magnus stingers? I've got four of them I'd looking to get rid of now lol

Ended up buying some standard muzzy three blades. they shoot much better and I got six of them for the price of three of the Magnus broadheads. seems like everytime I take my bow out of the case, I have to play with the sights a little to get my arrows hitting exactly where I'm lined up. I wonder how much weather conditions (temperature, humidity) and altitude affect the flight? Then again, I never really worried about how any of those things might affect the flight of a bullet from my rifle.

temp will effect the limbs of your bow and yoru sights. But make sure also your anchor point is always the same before you mess with your pins.

I shoot T3's and absolutly love them. I am interested in the new chisel point rage, I have buddies who cuss the old ones.

Anybody know much about helicals? I'd be interested in learning more about them, i am kinda acuracy crazy with my set up.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: mechanical vs fixed blades - 12/17/12 04:55 AM

I now shoot a T/D recurve I built but when I shot a compound I loved shooting spitfires. They were great but a pain to replace the blades. I would get the same grouping as my field points but when I was in a treestand shooting over 35 yds the 40 and 50 yd pins needed to be adjusted just a little. Later I went to an HHA single pin sight and used a software to make up the yardage tape on the side. Made life so much easier lol. The spitfires are more forgiving since the blades are in till impact. You do need a good poundage bow to shoot them correctly though like others said.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum