Texas Hunting Forum

Reefer got Smoked....

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 05:55 PM

Even in the heat Saturday afternoon, the movement was good by 5:30 with a few doe, some Taints and spikes dogging through the area. By 6:00 there were more deer showing up and at one point a herd of hogs came in under my tree eating acorns so close to me one of them bumped the leg to my tripod. I never even saw them as I was pinned and couldn’t move because there were deer in front of me looking at the pigs underneath me and I could not move an inch. Anyway, the pigs finally moved off further behind me and the deer went back to feeding/chasing etc. A few minutes later the No Brow 12 (a 3.5 year old 12 point with no brow tines that has a free pass this year) came in and was acting extremely nervous. He was looking back behind me and I figured it was the pigs still back there somewhere but then I heard a long grunt and then a tree getting shredded. Soon I saw what was giving No Brow so much anxiety as Reefer strolled in. Reefer (named because he looks stoned in about half the pictures we get of him) is a 4.5 year old narrow 10 that was on the hit list. He moved No Brow around for a minute and then hit the chum corn line 21 yards away. 30 seconds later I sent a Grim Reaper razor tip thru his heart and he was down in 30 yards.

I didn’t get many pictures because everyone that was down at the lease was wanting to get back in and watch the Bama vs. LSU game but attached is the only decent one I have (cell phone) as well as some trail cam pics of him.

It was nice to finally release an arrow on a targeted buck…now Slickheads and Swine beware…there are arrows in the quiver with your name on them. grin

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 06:03 PM

beautiful buck. congrats!
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 06:33 PM

Congrats on an awesome buck!

He's a hoss!
Posted By: TXW

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 07:12 PM

Congrats on a great buck. I'm thinking "Bright Light, Bright Light" in the last pic instead of left handed cigarettes. up
Posted By: HLo

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 07:40 PM

very nice buck
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 09:37 PM

great buck, big ol' body too, congrats!
Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 10:07 PM

nicely done, congrats!

ac
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 10:18 PM

Great buck congrats
Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/07/12 10:20 PM

Congrats!!! Where do you hunt at, he has a nice body on him! That last picture made me laugh
Posted By: passthru

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 01:01 AM

Good buck. Cool name for him as that pic shows.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 01:57 AM

Congrats!!

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Alec Castonguay
Congrats!!! Where do you hunt at, he has a nice body on him! That last picture made me laugh

Brown & Comanche County.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 11:09 AM

Very nice!! Congrats
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 02:27 PM

Good job
Posted By: Rampage12

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 05:29 PM

Reefer got smoked huh? Was this by any chance killed in Colorado? Lol ohh how ironic that would be..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 05:47 PM

Awsome buck, love the tine length, Im a sucker for a narrow hi rack!

You have any pics of no-brows you could share? Would be cool to see him too.

Congrats on a great buck!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 06:37 PM

congrats, nice buck

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Rampage12
Reefer got smoked huh? Was this by any chance killed in Colorado? Lol ohh how ironic that would be..

Now that's funny. clap

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Awsome buck, love the tine length, Im a sucker for a narrow hi rack!

You have any pics of no-brows you could share? Would be cool to see him too.

Congrats on a great buck!

Haha...and we're trying to get rid of the narrow racks! smile

The No Brow 12 is a "Texas 12" (kickers and ring point counted smirk . He is a main frame 8 with no brow tines, a kicker off his left 2 and 2 small ring points off the end of that left main beam and another slightly above where his brow should be on that same left side. Very young and has the possibility to turn into something special with all he's got going on. Problem is he's a wanderer and a corn addict....he is hitting at least 5 different sets on our place and the probability of him getting a bullet from one of the rifle hunters (or idiot neighbors) is high.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 08:46 PM

Awesome Buck!!! Way to smoke your reefer!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 09:14 PM

No-brows is s cool lookin buck!
Posted By: joe3616

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 09:49 PM

great story
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/08/12 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnguide83
beautiful buck. congrats!
Posted By: Honker Jake

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/09/12 12:50 AM

Nice 10. Good job.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/10/12 04:54 AM

He is winking at ya
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/13/12 04:14 AM

Fantastic ! Great Story !

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/13/12 07:26 PM

SLOW MOTION VIDEO OF SHOT LINK BELOW.

Moultrie Re-action Cam that mounts to the stabilizer on my bow and can be activated by one press of a button. After the original shot you have to continue to follow the animal thru the ring sight to keep it in frame. This is easy to remember when shooting does or pigs but a buck….well, you will see how I drop the bow down after the shot. I do get it back in time to catch the buck going out of sight behind the trees and he crashed about 5 yards later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUg76k4GvVs
Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Reefer got Smoked.... - 11/14/12 03:00 PM

sweet!

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
SLOW MOTION VIDEO OF SHOT LINK BELOW.

Moultrie Re-action Cam that mounts to the stabilizer on my bow and can be activated by one press of a button. After the original shot you have to continue to follow the animal thru the ring sight to keep it in frame. This is easy to remember when shooting does or pigs but a buck….well, you will see how I drop the bow down after the shot. I do get it back in time to catch the buck going out of sight behind the trees and he crashed about 5 yards later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUg76k4GvVs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum