Texas Hunting Forum

To Shoot or not to Shoot

Posted By: JoeDogg

To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/07/12 01:17 AM

This Buck keeps coming to my house with the Hood Rats as I call my neighborhood deer herd.I've seen a way bigger buck a 10 pt and a very impressive 8 pt last season. The hugh 10pt(140ish) showed up every now and then but my only opportunity was during Spike and Doe season on the next to the last day. Very tempting not to let that arrow fly at 20 yards from me at full draw. He stayed there for 10 minutes while all the doe were scared to come in.(40 yards from the back porch of my house) So decisions decisions

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/07/12 01:36 AM

I'd take him, but that's me

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/07/12 09:38 PM

I think he is young (2.5) if he can make it through this year he may go Pope & Young next year. Right now the best I can score him on the hoof is 114 bc
Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/07/12 10:00 PM

You can shoot him off your porch grin
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/08/12 03:26 AM

I hate to say it, but if I knew I'd seen him again next year I'd let him walk; but if there a chance someone else is going to take him this year... he'd been on the ground!
Posted By: target1911

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/08/12 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: JoeDogg
I think he is young (2.5) if he can make it through this year he may go Pope & Young next year. Right now the best I can score him on the hoof is 114 bc

+1
Posted By: Curtis

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/08/12 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
I hate to say it, but if I knew I'd seen him again next year I'd let him walk; but if there a chance someone else is going to take him this year... he'd been on the ground!

Agreed.
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/08/12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

Me too!
Posted By: basehitchamp

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/09/12 01:51 AM

in most folks book that is a heck of a trophy...to each his own...if it were me and I had the shot I would take it...u are the ultimate judge and jury here...
Posted By: passthru

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/09/12 02:12 AM

I've killed some bucks in that class and am aiming for a step up. So I would at this point pass him. 5 years ago I would would've popped him. It depends on what you want, not what others think.
Posted By: Burk

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/09/12 02:18 AM

I would take him, but then again in our area that is because someone else would if I didn't. If you don't have to worry about neighbors and you see him regularly it would probably pay to let him walk.

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/11/12 10:45 PM

One more thing, Brown County is a 2 buck county with the antler restrictions. 2 spikes or bucks with one side unbranched or 1 with a spread greater than 13"(a mature buck could be legal)(they wouldn't ticket you if the buck was 5 years old and a smaller than 13" spread)and a spike or buck with one side unbranched.
Posted By: senko86

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/12/12 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: basehitchamp
in most folks book that is a heck of a trophy...to each his own...if it were me and I had the shot I would take it...u are the ultimate judge and jury here...
Posted By: Texas Bowhunter

Re: To Shoot or not to Shoot - 10/14/12 03:17 PM

I'd pass him for at least one year but that's just me depends on the hunting pressure
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum