Texas Hunting Forum

Arrow Selection

Posted By: Hopedale

Arrow Selection - 08/30/11 09:45 PM

How did you decide on the arrows you're shooting?

popcorn

Posted By: scot

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/30/11 09:53 PM

started with the cheapest ones at acdemy, then found some cheap ones on clearance at Cabelas, now using the cheapest ones that my pro-shop carry that are cheaper than most other available...

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/30/11 09:55 PM

I shoot the arrows recommended to me by the Hoyt dealer who sold me my first 3 bows.

Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/30/11 10:07 PM

My pro shop showed me good carbon fiber arrows and they happened to be easton epics. I've been shooting them and easton axis arrows for a long time. They have been great to me. Just go talk to someone who knows their stuff and they will point you in the right direction.

Posted By: sloughfoot

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/30/11 10:44 PM

There are several ways to derermine which one to use. One what poundage is your bow set on. Or if you want speed vs more penetration it just depends on what your looking for.

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 01:39 AM

Well, I'm shooting Gold Tip Hunter Expedition.

I was still shooting aluminum arrows and wanted to switch to carbon. Not know one brand from the other, I essential had the guy at Sportsman's Warehouse pick them out.

I like them, but starting to wounder is there something better. Kind of like, do you want to dig a trench with a shovel or go get a backhoe.

Posted By: RRRanch

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 02:23 AM

Here you go....all 5 chapters

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

Posted By: BlackRubi

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 01:06 PM

LOL - I follow Scots approach... smile

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackRubi

I sure hope Scot was joking, but there are some that think cheapest is best!

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 02:31 PM

I went with Easton Axis simply for the fact that I liked the H.I.T. insert. Easton has always been a quality shaft so I had no reason to doubt the Axis would be any different.

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 02:43 PM

I shoot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. The guy at the proshop told me thathe shoots Gold Tips but he highly recommended the Maxima Hunters. I asked him why he shot GT and recommended something else. He gets his GT's free... I have also read many articles and research on arrows. I will never buy Bemans again. Because of my past exp with GT's, I will never buy them again. I am satisified with CE and it looks like I will continue to shoot them until something better comes along.

Posted By: Scalpel4

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 03:47 PM

The Cabelas carbon stalkers work great for me, so I use those. They're cheap and Cabelas custom cuts the arrows for me free of charge.

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 04:51 PM

What happened with you and GT?

I called them yesterday with a few question and they seemed willing to help.

Posted By: fishhound

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 05:27 PM

Started with what the archery shop recommended. Then a friend who has been bowhunting for forever let me shoot some of his Gold Tips and I've been shooting them ever since. They are GREAT.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 05:47 PM

I have shot Gold Tips and Beman ICS Hunters and like both of them. The Beman has a glossy finish that seems to draw with less noise on my rest than the GT that I was using. They work fine for my hunting.

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fishhound
Started with what the archery shop recommended. Then a friend who has been bowhunting for forever let me shoot some of his Gold Tips and I've been shooting them ever since. They are GREAT.

First impressions are a biatch. I bought a dozen and shot them for a couple of months. I think I bought them in May and by Oct I only had 9 left. I constantly had to replace inserts and nocks. They were coming out and breaking. I shot a deer and after passing through my arrow hit a tree...Explosion. Same thing on a yote. By the end of deer season, I had less than 6 left(and I only shot at 2 animals all year). The nock ends were breaking out of the arrows twd the end of their life span with me which was less than 1 year.

Im sure they make a quality product and Im sure they have good cust service but I do know that the durability is horrible. My CE's are awesome arrows. I havent shot an animal yet but they seem great. Ive had multiple pass throughs on my target over the last few days and the arrows have hit trees and 2x4s and those arrows are still kicking it. If it would have been the GTs, they wouldnt have passed through the target and if they would have then they would have exploded upon impacting the tree or fence.

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: FoxTrot
The nock ends were breaking out of the arrows twd the end of their life span with me which was less than 1 year.

When I say this, I mean the actual shaft was breaking where the nock inserts into it.

I was shooting a PSE Mach X at 70lbs with 28" draw with GT 5575s cut at 28".

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 06:47 PM

I started with Easton XX-75's then went to XX-78's. I now shoot Easton Axis 400's. If I could'nt afford the axis I would not hesitate going back to the XX-78's.

Posted By: scot

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: BlackRubi

I sure hope Scot was joking, but there are some that think cheapest is best!

I'm not shooting walmart arrows or anything. However, Cabelas was selling the Team Realtree beman mfx's for $59.99 a dozen fletched. You can't beat that. So yes I buy the cheapest quality I can find.

Currently shooting Gold Tip velocity hunters are they are $6 each at the pro shop and the way I switch between bows my spine requirements change weekly.

Posted By: semperfi87

Re: Arrow Selection - 08/31/11 11:47 PM

I shot plenty till I found the one that suites me best went from Easton FMJ to carbon express maxima 250 with duravanes and man are they accurate and deadly

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum